Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times

Advertisements

I thought we were going to drive a Penske and follow in my Explorer. Seems after all the number crunching-it would be cheaper to get ABF-U haul to move my stuff and turn my leased Explorer in early and then just fly out (to Vegas from Detroit). Problem, I have a dog. Lhasa Apso. What a pain. Most airlines do not allow dogs in the cargo anymore and they have to be able to fit under the seat and be able to stand and turn around in the crate. Mine is 18 lbs. Although he would fit laying down, he will not have room to stand up-so that is out.

On top of that, the few airlines that do still put them in the cargo will not ship if it is to be over 85 degrees. Well, at this time of the year it doesn't matter what time you land in Vegas, it could and will probably be 85 or over.

And do you know that dang dog's ticket will cost more than mine? Geesh. To sit in the cargo hold? Crazy.

Anyone have any ideas on other ways to transport? I did look into Jet a Pet and haven't heard back from them yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 12:40 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,523 times
DO NOT put your dog in the cargo hold. The temperature restriction is there for a reason. It's good to hear that the airline(s) is enforcing it. Many animals are at best traumized by traveling via cargo; and many die a horrible death.

Air travel is not the smooth, syncronized system of years ago. Today there are constant delays, misroutings, cancellations, etc. The only way you can be absolutely sure that your canine family member will survive the trip is if he is with you in the passenger compartment.

For some good ideas and solutions, check on the Pets board. Many people there have faced the same issues as you. You'll get some good suggestions there.

Good luck with your move!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:56 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Well they don't actually measure your dog. If you feel comfortable taking him/her as a carry on then do it that way. Also get some meds for him/her from your vet. My Suzie has traveled a lot and she just sleeps through it. Get the travel carrier and put in your house to see how your dog likes it. Mine likes it. It is her home away from home.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:01 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Thanks for the info. No, I would never put him in a place too hot. I guess I will try the carryon way. I will also go on the Pets board, I didn't even think of that-duh! Thanks!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,523 times
Default In case you missed it....

Here's a thread from this board too:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...s-country.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues