Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:31 AM

125 posts, read 351,764 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We moved from IL to WA about 18 months ago and used Allied, and we're getting ready to move from WA to OK in 3 weeks and they're just too expensive to use. We can't use PODS because we have too much stuff to fit in the largest one (I think), probably can't use ABF because they most likely can't get a trailer close to our place (we're in an apt complex), so that pretty much leaves us with renting a 24-26 ft truck (from Penske probably) and I'd drive that (with one cat) and my wife would drive her car (with another cat) for 5 days, but I'd have to ship my car. Just wondering if anybody knows if moving companies just hire out their drivers (I don't think so) or if there's any way we could find a licensed, bonded, insured driver to drive the rental truck (or my car)?

Thanks much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 12:15 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
Can you tow one?
Or with airfare so cheap now one way, can a friend drive one for you then fly back?

Frank D.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 PM

749 posts, read 1,790,012 times
Why don't you tow one of the cars behind the moving truck. That's what I did. You can get a car dolly pretty cheap.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
Why don't you tow one of the cars behind the moving truck. That's what I did. You can get a car dolly pretty cheap.
I've thought about towing it, but I don't know if I can handle driving a 26 ft truck while towing a car for 5 days (after only having about 1.5 weeks to pack) - might just be too much...

Old 03-14-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Can you tow one?
Or with airfare so cheap now one way, can a friend drive one for you then fly back?

Frank D.
That's a possibility, but nobody I know here in WA can take a week off for that. I'm trying to see if I know anybody in OK that can do it... Thanks.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:22 PM

16 posts, read 104,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
I've thought about towing it, but I don't know if I can handle driving a 26 ft truck while towing a car for 5 days (after only having about 1.5 weeks to pack) - might just be too much...
We moved (1000 miles) in Jan 09 using a Penske 26' truck pulling a pickup truck loaded on a car carrier. Driving the truck with the car carrier in tow was really no issue at all other than the reduced fuel mileage. Just check your hitch connection, lights, etc often and you should be fine. No big deal at all.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:32 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Towing the second vehicle would be my recommendation also. I've done it before, and it's really not that big a deal.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:48 PM

749 posts, read 1,790,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
You would never know that car is back there. We have a 40ft Coach and I thought I would have a problem pulling our long bed truck. But you never know they are back there. You just have to make sure when you stop to get gas; that you can pull straight out and back onto the road. But it is what you are comfortable with.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:58 AM

86 posts, read 423,310 times
When we recently moved to Florida from PA, I simply had to fly back to get the last car we had left there. I enjoyed that ride....

I was going to tow it, but since its a rear drive truck, u haul wouldn't allow it on the dolly...too heavy they said.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:56 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,860 times
Hey go find a reputable Welder. Take the car to him that you need towed, preferably with the front bumper off. Ask him about welding the bolt on blocks off a Universal 5,000# tow bar. I know you might not need the durability of this tow bar. But your towing your car right?
He can do this and have a welder at the other end take it off.
The above is IF you can't find a custom tow bar for your car. OR rent a car dolly for your car or even a car trailer. Just some other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues