Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 AM

809 posts, read 2,884,643 times

Advertisements

So I've been pumped to move to Denver from Chicago since I first started planning it in about July. I want to be there sometime in February. Well last night suddenly it hit me that I'm scared. Not so much to move, not really scared of the expense of it or where I'm going to be (I already know where I'm going to live.) I'm not scared of the job situation cuz I'll be transfering within my company.......... I'm scared to leave everything I know.

I was sitting around the kitchen table last night with my mom and dad and my sister and brother and we were all playing with the dogs and laughing and having a good time (A rarity in my house)....... and later on when I tried to go to bed I was laying there and it dawned on me how badly I will miss my family, my dogs, my cat, my extended family when I move. I know I get aggravated with them most of the time because we're a 5 person family living in a relatively small house for our size. Add to that mix two very large rambunctious dogs and it gets a little crazy in the house. Most of the time I can't stand being so cramped and having like NO privacy.

But I was laying there last night thinking about how I'll be 900 miles away and I won't be able to see them whenever I want and this sort of made me sad. (I especially got sad about missing my cat. He's a little siamese, tiny, so cute, such a good cat...... he's a loving little thing, and I think honestly I'll miss him the most because I won't be able to pick up the phone and talk to him :P) .....

I'm not the type that is like super crazy about holding on to the place I live. I moved like 6 times before I was 14...... so I'm use to going to new places and I LIKE the adventure of exploring new things and places. The only thing is, I've never done it on my OWN. It was always my WHOLE family doing the move and the exploring. I'm 25 now, I'm definitely old enough to venture out on my own. I wasn't scared at all up until laast night. Then suddenly it hit me that I'm sad and scared.

But part of the reason I'm moving (aside from the cheaper living in Denver, and the fact that I want to just get out on my own) is to be closer to my boyfriend who I miss incredibly bad. I'm SO torn. I miss him, I want to be closer to him, but I know I'll miss some things back in Chicago (def not the weather tho :P)

I just needed to get this off my chest.........

Old 12-23-2008, 10:27 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
Good luck in whatever you decide but don't move because of the boyfriend.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Don't move because of a boyfriend. BIG mistake, especially at your age when your values and tastes will keep changing, and so will his.

Sounds as though you need to go to a silent place, and feel about who YOU are. It seems you have defined yourself in terms of negatives -- that you will miss this or that, and you now miss this or that. Sounds like a great time to take stock of who YOU are and what YOU are, have, do, can do, and want to become. Good time to disconnect your emotions from outside of yourself, and love YOU first. It's your life, no one else's. You need to love you first, THEN you'll have something to actually offer to others.

You can meke enthusiasm and optimism your constant companions by just choosing to do so.

Remember that no matter what paths you choose to travel, Life will always show you the best there is for you from those paths, for you to choose from. Smile. Know that life is yours.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM

ok.......... let me make one thing clear........... i am NOT moving there for him............. i want to move to colorado because i love the mountains and the weather and the proximity to the skiing. I also want to live there because the cost of living is like half of what it is in Chicago. I said PART of the reason is to be closer to my boyfriend. Not ALL. The majority of my reason is because I love Colorado. And I love the cost of living.

I'm really tired of people telling me not to base my decision on my BOYFRIEND cuz I'M NOT!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Don't move because of a boyfriend. BIG mistake, especially at your age when your values and tastes will keep changing, and so will his.

Sounds as though you need to go to a silent place, and feel about who YOU are. It seems you have defined yourself in terms of negatives -- that you will miss this or that, and you now miss this or that. Sounds like a great time to take stock of who YOU are and what YOU are, have, do, can do, and want to become. Good time to disconnect your emotions from outside of yourself, and love YOU first. It's your life, no one else's. You need to love you first, THEN you'll have something to actually offer to others.

You can meke enthusiasm and optimism your constant companions by just choosing to do so.

Remember that no matter what paths you choose to travel, Life will always show you the best there is for you from those paths, for you to choose from. Smile. Know that life is yours.

I miss these people (Family) because they are a PART of me. I consider my boyfriend my family.... and of course my family is my family. Without my family, there is no me. There are some people out there that grow up with no family, good for them. Props to them for being able to do it on their own. I do just fine in thinking for myself without the input of my family. But what I'm going to miss is the interactions with my family. I'm going to miss my cat a LOT because of the emotional bond you create with a pet (petowners will know what I'm talking about)........ so it isn't all about "i'll miss this and that"........ I'm going to miss the relationships with these people and animals.................. I know perfectly well who I am and what I want to do.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:02 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Well you need to grab independence. Its time. Who cares if you are moving there for the boyfriend..That can be fun! ;P

I always moved on my own after dealing with "pre-assistance" and you know what.. Its a lot easier to just DIY. I see people go about it with friends and family..and well you live at your house.. You see what overpopulation does to a group.LOL
Its very peaceful and this sort of quiet discovery. Dont be skeerd...Its only denver.
;P

Denver is so pretty too...And can you imagine how nice it will be to get settled in and see the spring!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Well you need to grab independence. Its time. Who cares if you are moving there for the boyfriend..That can be fun! ;P

I always moved on my own after dealing with "pre-assistance" and you know what.. Its a lot easier to just DIY. I see people go about it with friends and family..and well you live at your house.. You see what overpopulation does to a group.LOL
Its very peaceful and this sort of quiet discovery. Dont be skeerd...Its only denver.
;P

Denver is so pretty too...And can you imagine how nice it will be to get settled in and see the spring!

yes thank you...... I know I can do it on my own...... but I think the reason I start to get scared is cuz I'm scared something bad will happen to someone in my family and I'll be far away... thats what I get scared of the most.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 PM

244 posts, read 814,711 times
I can understand where you are coming from, SubaruFiend. It's ok to feel sad about it because that is just what happens when you leave loved ones behind. I relocated a few times over the years (I'm also planning another move early next year as well), and it was sad to leave family members behind, but I felt that I had to do it for me. At least you will have your boyfriend there(you'll know someone) and you are moving someplace where you really want to go.

But once you arrive in Denver and start getting used to things, all of your fun adventures in a new city will start to outweigh your homesickness. I have been to Denver a few times. It is a beautiful city. Good luck to you!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
yes thank you...... I know I can do it on my own...... but I think the reason I start to get scared is cuz I'm scared something bad will happen to someone in my family and I'll be far away... thats what I get scared of the most.
It could happen if you are there too. I always stashed away enough plane ticket money for emergency visits to see my gram when I lived super far away. Maybe that would give you peace of mind. Southwest Airlines usually always has cheap seats.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Quote:

Without my family, there is no me.
Uh-oh....... OMG...... Exactly the problem you have been receiving advice about.....

Quote:

I know perfectly well who I am and what I want to do.
Then you're saying that by asking your questions you have wasted the time, attention, and love of all of us who tried to help you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.