Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 58,229 times

Advertisements

I've used Pods and it really is much better than renting a moving truck and a traditional self storage unit. With Pods you only have to load and unload once instead of twice. If you value your time at all pods units are way worth the extra expense. You can save a bit too if you have a promo code when you reserve. I used one - R101 - and saved about $75. Good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 PM

14 posts, read 58,229 times
My wife and I used Pods to move to Denver a few years ago. We had them store our unit for about two months while we searched for a home. It cost us about $200 per month for the storage, but I'd still rather pay this than unload our stuff into a storage room and then move it all again once we got settled. I found the entire staff of Pods to be very professional and courteous. I always recommend Pods when I talk to someone about to move.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 13,220 times
I have to say we used U-box Pods from U-haul. They were fantastic, much more cost effective and all of our goods were transported in the agree upon time frame and in the same condition we packed them. We moved a 3 bedroom home with over 40 boxes of vinyl records, two beds, four couches, etc. in four U-haul u-boxes. At almost half the cost pods wanted to charge us. We moved from Austin, TX to Las Vegas, NV. I would use them again and recommend the service to anyone.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:47 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLynn308 View Post
I have to say we used U-box Pods from U-haul. They were fantastic, much more cost effective and all of our goods were transported in the agree upon time frame and in the same condition we packed them. We moved a 3 bedroom home with over 40 boxes of vinyl records, two beds, four couches, etc. in four U-haul u-boxes. At almost half the cost pods wanted to charge us. We moved from Austin, TX to Las Vegas, NV. I would use them again and recommend the service to anyone.
Can you explain this a little further? Is this UHaul option similar to PODS then? How many miles from Austin to Vegas (that was likely a big factor)? And if you don't mind, how much was the whole deal? Did you store your items once they arrived or was it an immediate unpacking?

I'm trying to relocate and my husband and I are looking at the best way to move our stuff from Dallas to Seattle...and it's not likely going to be cheap. However, the idea of schlepping a big truck across country sounds awful...especially with two cats. Any additional info is appreciated...

Old 03-01-2014, 09:05 PM

182 posts, read 701,854 times
Would someone explain the deal with insurance when you use pods? Since we would be packing the pods ourselves, I take it that the company does not insure? And if so, who do we purchase insurance from?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 AM

360 posts, read 516,568 times
Also interested in pods vs hiring movers.

If we did the pod we would plan on hiring local help to load and unload the truck.

We're moving from Portland, OR, to Cary, NC. We are willing to purge some of our stuff -- easy to replace things like beat up Ikea furniture -- but we also need to keep a good amt of things for our 4 year old, that is struggling emotionally with the move. We aren't going to get rid of much of his.

Our company is paying for the move, so we have the cash to do it right and make things less stressful on us, but don't want to be wasteful either.

We currently live in a 2500 sq ft home, but don't have THAT much stuff despite having 2 kids. We had a horrible experience with a rental and mold that caused us to lose most of our belongings a few years ago. *sigh*

What do you think - pay $3500 for a moving company (That doesn't sound like enough, does it? That's what we were quoted from most...) or use pods? We aren't considering driving it in a truck, with the 2 young kids.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
I think that your moving estimate is not based on what the final cost will be, unless you have very little stuff or its very lightweight. Be very careful is what is quoted, eg. a high per pound rate, but a 50% off bonus will gt you when they weigh your stuff and the total weight is much higher than quoted and they charge you at the full rate for the overage.

Make sure that the weight they estimate is based on realty--I moved a 3 bedroom, lr, den, 2 bath, kitchen, and dr home and it was 18,000 pounds. I am now in a house that is 1300 square feet more and have been filling it up for 15 years and have received estimates well UNDER the 18000 I started with. Now, I am getting rid of tons of stuff before I move, but they did not know that when they gave me the estimates.

Make sure that the weight estimate is real and that you get the lowest rate per pound you can, not the biggest discount as when the weight is over, you will pay the full weight per pound cost. And all estimates should visit your home, not use a 'guess'. My mahogany furniture is heavier that the particle board furniture. A LOT HEAVIER!

Old 05-10-2014, 01:29 PM

106 posts, read 251,299 times
Default Using PODS to move to a community with an HOA

Have any of you used PODS to move to communities with an HOA that is fairly restrictive? I haven't seen the HOA's for the areas we're considering but they're adult communities.

I'm wondering if they allow PODS in the driveways.

I know it will depend on the community but asking for what people have experienced in general.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:55 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,956 times
I will be using either U-Hauls or ABF POD like containers to move I am moving to an HOA community. I can place the PODs at my home in the driveway and on any area that is blacktop, cement or graveled. That is their rules for parking vehicles.

BUT many HOAs are much more restrictive than mine.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:54 PM

106 posts, read 251,299 times
Thanks - gives me hope!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues