Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,287 times

Advertisements

i will probably be moving without a job set up (in my line of work, you really need to be a resident first, and to interview in person-they wont pay my flight or settle for a phone interview). i will have enough savings to do this for 6 months (could make it 12 months in a pinch though, but 6 months comfortably!) so it isnt really a money issue.

i have 2 concerns that are a bit random
1. when you move somewhere without a job already and dont know a soul in town, how do you spend your time when you arent on an interview? i am someone who really hates idle time unless it is on the internet (lol but 100% serious). this actually is a big concern to me because i dont want to spend that much money just to take up time. i figure i can go to the gym, hang out in the parks/rivers, go to cheap or free music venues/bars, bike ride, hike, attend religious services, sit in on college classes and hope no one notices, and read. anything else?

2. i currently do not have my own car. i live outside of the state i am probably going to move to. here i just share my parents' car (my car died last year). would it be a better choice buying a car out of state or in the state i am at now? i would give living there a 1 year commitment if i do not find a full time job. not sure which is the wiser decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:38 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,810 times
Without a car might be a problem where you're moving to, but I have been without one for almost 5 years (but I'm married and we have at least one car to share).

In regards to finding something to do, depending on what your career profession is, you can begin networking in your new community by volunteering. I have met more prominent people with connections all over the new state I live in now that have really helped and guided me. The reason I say volunteer is because these are naturally helpful and giving people that do this weekly and daily, and they are more than happy to volunteer information to you to help you succeed.

Start with the local Chamber of Commerce in your new area to get to know the community. This will open up a plethora of options for you to get involved. Habitat for humanity if you want to build homes and try laborious work, big brother/sister programs if you want to discover education on a special basis, or volunteer at various charity and shelters in the area. Most of the people I encounter volunteering have been in their communities forever and know just about every historical fact and person to talk to for any information they don't have. This might be your big ticket to becoming a solid part of any community.

As far as a car, I don't know how you'll survive without one, are you single? I know where I live now there is no public transportation and we live in the mountains. During snowy times it would be impossible to maintain a job without a 4x4 or expensive AWD vehicle.

As far as moving without a job, in this economy, you'd be very courageous to live a year on savings hoping for one. If you're sure you'll land one with no problem please share your secret! I've been unemployed for 5 months now, and even the local diners and coffee shops won't hire me because they don't know me. I've been here 18 months and they still consider me a foreigner, and I'm told they don't like to give jobs to foreigners, even though I was born and raised in another part of this state, my southern accent gives me away. I'm over qualified for most of the low end jobs, but I can't even manage one of those part time in this economy.

My best and safe advice to you is wait out this economy and don't blow your savings on a year long stressful vacation in a foreign city or town, just to tuck tail back home. However, if your heart is set on moving, only you can make your new dreams come true, and you'll always wonder "what if".

Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,804 times
If you buy a car right before you move you will have to register it and buy license plates in two states. That can get expensive. Check the prices for this and the sales tax in both states and do the math. Unless the sales tax in the new state is considerably more than the old one, you're probably better off waiting to buy until after you move.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:27 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,990,287 times
oh sorry i should have mentioned i would have a car whether i move to. i just have to figure out which is the best/easier/cheapest option of where to get one.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 PM

16,078 posts, read 21,163,621 times
The local library can be a good resource too. They will often have a community bulletin board, neighborhood flyers or small local newspapers that make it easy to find things of interest in the areas you are considering.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,804,502 times
To your first concern - extra time - volunteer or network in your chosen field or something that moves you. To the second -get the car in your new state - transfer fees are too expensive. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:20 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
I moved 2 years ago without having a job lined up. Yes, there was a LOT of free time, and it was very tedious. Having no income, the last thing you want is the temptation to spend money, but it's hard not to. I visited a lot of local parks, walked around, checked them out. I would read the newspaper daily (free at the library - I'd read magazines too) and find free anything to go to (little festivals, whatever, even if it's not something I was really interested in). I read, surfed the internet (a lot), played free games on the internet.
I'd buy a car in the state you move to. That way you don't have to pay all the DMV charges in 2 states. Plus car shopping will give you something else to do. I would only buy a car in the state you are in now, if you think you will really need one as soon as you move to your new home.
Best of luck!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,964 times
Hi,
I went to rochester 3 weeks ago, i very like the city, and i would like to move before the end the year. (i m working in health care (cna/hha) .

I would like to know if i can relly move before i have job, or wait to have one before.

i'm african and i have two kids 17 (girl) and 14 boy.

thanks in advance for any informations i can receive from you.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Volunteering is a great way to meet people and to feel like part of the community. Depending on your field and your luck, it may also be a way to network your way into a job.

Most museums and other similar sites offer free admission on a regular basis; check their websites to see if and when. Some cities (I know Minneapolis does this, but am not sure where else) offer free passes to museums/attractions (including things like the zoo, which charges a hefty admission price) that people can "check out."

In general, the more you can get out the faster you will feel at home in your new location. Wander around, explore different neighborhoods, shop for the basics that you'd need anyway, and hit up as many free attractions as you can. You won't have time to enjoy doing all of that once you're working anyway, so might as well pack as much in now while you can! Definitely try to live cheap, though; in this economy you may well have to make that 6 month cushion last longer.

As for the car, that's going to depend on where you live. If you're moving somewhere with a public transportation system, even a mediocre one, it shouldn't be a problem, but definitely choose your neighborhood with walkability and good transit options in mind. I've never had a license and have lived in a variety of locations with varying degrees of success. If you're not working you'll have time to learn the public transportation ropes without pressure. I've also found that getting around without a car is a great way to get to know a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues