Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM

187 posts, read 636,211 times

Advertisements

did somebody had to move and had a cat?My cat (1 year old)is an outdoor animal and evenings he comes home to sleep in the garage.How will he be affected from moving?Does he adjust fast.Shoudl i let him immediately outside?I do not want him to get lost.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:59 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
I moved a few years ago and brought cats with me. I kept them in for a week or so and then I made sure to have shelter, food and water in a place I thought they would feel safe when going outside and made sure they knew where it was. Not a big problem.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:16 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,795 times
I would do as misplaced1 advised. I did the same with my two older cats when I moved, even so one of them got lost for a night when I first let him outside. But they did adjust to the new house and yard and were happy here (both were older cats and have died since then).

Old 10-11-2009, 09:09 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
After moving to our new house in a different state, we kept the cats inside for about three weeks, most of which they spent looking out the windows.
As soon as we let them out, they adapted to their new environment.

They had never seen deer before and I was surprised at how quickly they got used to them.
Now when the deer come into the yard the cats go over to meet them, sniff noses, and even try to play with the smaller ones.

They have always shared their territory with coons and possums so they were already used to them.
They don't try to engage them like they do with the deer, but they aren't afraid of them either, unless a whole bunch come at once, then the cats usually come inside until the coons leave.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
After moving to our new house in a different state, we kept the cats inside for about three weeks, most of which they spent looking out the windows.
As soon as we let them out, they adapted to their new environment.
I agree with the time frame of inside for about three weeks, particularly since your cat is also going to have to adjust to being inside which he's not used to. Outside cats in particular have a great "homing" instinct and, if moved and immediately let out, have been known to take off and find their way back to the place they're familiar with! Good luck with the move.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
Don't let kitty outside in his new home for at least a week or two, until he settles down and gets used to the new place, or he may wander off trying to find "home" again. Also, just in case, get him a chip, if you haven't done so already. They don't cost much at humane society, I believe about $20.

Also, here's a trick my grandmother taught me. The first time you let a cat outside, put butter on all his paws. he will lick the butter off, leaving saliva, which creates a scent trail to follow. I've never had a cat get lost using this trick. Except one time, but I used margarine!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:26 AM

289 posts, read 570,077 times
I can tell ya when I move & take my outside cat with me she's staying inside after I get moved. I currently live in the country & she was born & raised here. She's been an outside cat her whole life (7 1/2 years) except for about 3 months when we had her fixed.

She staied in for 3 months because it was winter & we decided to leave her inside until the next spring. But she still, to this day, tries to come inside the house. So I know she will be perfectly happy as an inside kittie & since I plan on moving to the city, I won't feel safe letting her run around outside anymore.

But I would say 2-3 weeks is a good time frame. Just make sure to familiarilize him with the new area. Maybe even take him out on a leash a few times. And make sure he knows where his food, water, & shelter are going to be located.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:40 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I moved a few years ago and brought cats with me. I kept them in for a week or so and then I made sure to have shelter, food and water in a place I thought they would feel safe when going outside and made sure they knew where it was. Not a big problem.
We moved quite a few times with the four cats in our lives and that is exactly what we did. The cats had to be comfy in their new house before we let them out then they would s - l - o - w - l - y investigate the new terriroty. Did not loose a single cat that way.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 57,489 times
Default Kitties

I moved in August with three kitties. The best thing to do (from my experience anyway) is to create a small enclosed area outside for them to be in, and let them adjust to the idea, while still being able to see the house, their food bowls, etc. that are located either inside, or in the garage. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:44 PM

386 posts, read 1,364,211 times
If your cat does not have a tag with your new phone number, write your phone number with permament ink on his/her collar. This way, if your cat gets lost you can be called. Also, if you don't have a new local number, see if you can also write your co-workers or new neighbors local number on the collar - just in case the person does not want to make a long distance call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues