Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,890,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
He tipped the 3 movers $100 each

In CO, it was the same 3 movers that unloaded. He also gave them the same tip
That sounds like an extremely large tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 PM

15 posts, read 60,302 times
A $100 tip per person is extremely excessive even if they are packing and moving everything. The norm is $20-$40 max, with the driver, or someone who does 2 jobs like packing and moving, receiving more. Have plenty of cold drinks. I provide tips instead of meals because it's easier for me on moving day and I know it's just as appreciated.

Yes, there will be a whirlwind of activity on packing day and all your stuff will go flying into boxes faster than you can follow it. If there are items that you want to keep tabs on, you better pack those yourself or put them aside with a big sign that says "do not pack" or "do not move." They probably won't pack fireplace screens or curtains unless you tell them to. Take the curtains down first.

I hope they are unpacking for you too - that would be fantastic!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:09 PM

15 posts, read 60,302 times
P.S. Let them pack your clothes for you. They'll keep them on the hangers and put them right into wardrobe boxes. Definitely leave pictures on walls for them to do. Your junk drawer will get dumped into a box as-is.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times
Moving is one of the more stressful things I've done in my life. We have these tips for Stress Free Moving that help me (to a certain extent) and I hope they can help you too!

[url=http://moving.apartmentguide.com/moving-packing/tips-on-stress-free-moving/]Tips for Stress-Free Moving -- Stress-free moving tips: Apartment Guide[/url]

Old 01-24-2010, 04:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,793,324 times
I found it best to declutter everything, make sure you sift through the junk drawer, any bins you may have and your closet. When we unpacked I was laughing at some of the items that were packed. Pieces of trash that were in the toy bins, wood from our attic, it was crazy. They all in all did a great job, but if I did it again, I would have overseen it better, really gone through all my stuff and tipped more!

Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,499,350 times
Hi,

We have had 4 relos... all of them included packing everything for us...
Most of these posts are accuarte of course I am sure that all companies are different and that has been our experience. As far as the quality of your move.
Our last move (which was just last year) was the best we have had!
They paid attention to every detail, they asked about things prior to packing them ,wrapped our mattresses for us in plastic wrap (our other moves did not do this,they just put the mattress on the truck last-some wrapped in packing blankets.).
They will for the most part, move just about everything. They will not take flameables though; hairspray,nail polish or nail polish remover,make sure that your grill gas tanks are emptied,those types of things.
They will remove your mirrors from your dressers and wrap them for you as well and this last move,they even had a 3rd party come in and actually construct a wood crate for our flat screen-that was amazing service!

As far as your dresser drawers, even this last move which was exceptional, they did kind of just dump things.... I would suggest that you remove your lingere items if that makes you uncomfortable. I have always removed mine from my drawers and just packed them in our suitcases as well as my daughter's things too.... just my own thing though, not necessary.

If there are things that have sentimental value to you that you don't want them to pack, just leave them aside and let them know that those items you are taking with you. I have always had a few of those big,plastic totes on the day that the movers were coming ,set aside for me to throw things into that we would need for the day(s) they were going to be there packing and loading.
For a few of our moves we were still staying overnight in the house during the packing & loading,so we needed to be sure that we had plastic cups,spoons (mainly for the kids) any important paperwork you don't want them packing, or that is pertaining to your move.

Be sure to do a walk-thru of your house with the movers before they start packing so again,they can see what you don't want them to be taking.. and also, after they are done. Some are too quick and forget to check the shelves in the closets,things like that.

The last post above (veuvegirl) is right, sometimes you will find crazy things packed in places!
I remember for the longest time after one of our moves, I couldn't find a very special book that was given to my daughter for her baptism, I knew that it was in her closet and should have been with all of her other things from her closet. We searched everywhere and we finally found it-packed in nice packing paper IN A SUITCASE! there was a suitcase in her closet and the movers packed some things,including her book,in that suitcase... I just didn't think to open my suitcases to look for items! so funny...

We don't usually give the movers a tip, but we do offer to purchase them lunch or something like that. We did have one move in which the crew said they just preferred to work through lunch and we did tip them......

Hope this is helpful..... our first relo ,I was a bit stressed,but by the 4th, I did pretty much let them do everything!
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues