Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:21 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,266,957 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've moved several times, but have never used a company that handles the whole thing from A to Z.

My husband's company is including that in the relocation package: a moving company that comes into our house, and like locusts, packs and moves everything.

If you've experienced this, can you tell me what to expect?

Do I really leave it all to them (other then my own clothes, private stuff etc.).

Do we literally just leave the pictures on the walls?

Curtains hung up?

Clutter in the "junk drawer?"

Any tips you can give me or etiquette on how to prepare for this kind of move is really appreciated!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:17 PM

177 posts, read 686,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've moved several times, but have never used a company that handles the whole thing from A to Z.

Do I really leave it all to them (other then my own clothes, private stuff etc.).

Curtains hung up?

Any tips you can give me or etiquette on how to prepare for this kind of move is really appreciated!
Before I retired, we did this many times. Here is what I recall:

1. They are responsible for what they pack not what you pack so you want them to pack everything that they put in the moving truck.

2. They won't take things apart. We never moved curtains so I am not sure about that. I always unhooked the dryer and washer myself and prepared these to be moved.

3. They expect you to empty the gas and oil out of lawn mowers and other equipment with engines.

4. They won't move flamables -- move them yourself or give or throw them away.

5. They will empty everything in your drawers into a box. But we used moving times to get rid of clutter before they came.

6. They took our wall hangings and pictures off of our walls and packed them.

7. Several times, they even moved our second car in the same moving van as everything else. It was all paid for by my employer.

David

Old 12-20-2009, 04:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post

5. They will empty everything in your drawers into a box. But we used moving times to get rid of clutter before they came.
I shake with anger as I write this.

I've had two corporate relos too (and a third one coming up in the next couple months). Our last one in 2008 from CO to AL, I had my garage contents completely organized on shelves: boxes for electrical, plumbing, computer (three boxes), audio/visual, auto parts, cable, phone, old eyeglasses, maps, PVC, outdoor lighting, holiday stuff, etc. A lot of the contents of these boxes were tiny, like hardware (nuts, bolts, hooks, etc.) and PVC parts.

These knuckleheads just dumped the contents of two or more of my boxes into one of their boxes and mixed everything up. How could anyone be so inconsiderate (or stupid)?

So, make sure when you brief these guys, that you explain to keep like items together and not mixed.

To back up a little, moving is a good time to get organized - and put stuff in boxes like I described. Good time to throw away stuff too - use the Craigslist for your community to give away "free" stuff. It will be done that day.

Oh, one more thing, we had one of those basketball goals with a base you fill up with water. They take it apart and reassemble it at the new location (here in Huntsville). They do this when I'm not there. Must have been the same knuckleheads because instead of reassembling it with the base behind the backboard, they reassembled it (backwards) with the base directly under the goal. How could they not see that?

Just make sure you have a complete understanding of where all your most important stuff is - if you can't take it with you yourself. For example, our computers are really important - all of our family photos are on them for example. Before the movers came, I took all our computers and put them on the floor and photographed them.

We have a pretty nice grandfather clock and they bring in a carpenter to build a custom crate for it.

Last edited by Charles; 12-20-2009 at 05:09 AM..

Old 12-20-2009, 09:12 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,272,920 times
I've always had to move my own stuff.
This was interesting to read. I never realized how much a person had to consider when hiring a company to move them.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,028,096 times
Default Yes, yes and yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband's company is including that in the relocation package: a moving company that comes into our house, and like locusts, packs and moves everything.

Curtains hung up?

Alley
My DH received a relocation package that included exactly this (movers come in and pack you up). to answer your questions, YES they do all that. I went through all this 2 years ago and this is exactly what the movers did: 3 guys showed up with a big gigantic 18 wheeler (the thing took up the whole street), packed up EVERYTHING and i mean EVERYTHING (had to tell them to leave the burnt logs in the fireplace - seriously no joking on this one) and delivered it all to our new home.

the only thing the movers would NOT do is go into my attic and pack up what was there. i was responsible for bringing the stuff down but they packed it up. Not realizing the movers would pack up the stuff that was brought down from the attic, i packed it. the movers actually UNPACKED what i did and repacked it (the moving company will not insure anything they do NOT pack).

I did instruct one of the men to not remove any of the clothes from my drawers (personal items). unfortunately the man didn't speak english so when i was unpacking in my new home i found all my personal items packed in a box. OH THANK DOG i wasn't in the room when the man was packing up the items. so if there are things you do not want anyone to see pack them yourself.

Clutter in the junk drawer - yup that too. they even packed up my food (canned goods, non perishables, nothing from the fridge). Remove pictures from walls - yup.

So to answer your original question - yes they do it all.
good luck with your move.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:48 PM

454 posts, read 689,819 times
I'd take a week off of work to move my own stuff LOL. But I'm so anal about where **** has gone (I always lose/forget SOMETHING when I travel or move).

I even wash my own car. I cant stand when people move my stuff around LOL...

Old 12-25-2009, 09:18 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,514,359 times
About 4 guys showed up and quickly and carefully packed up everything - every little thing- they were like vacuum cleaners - I was amazed - I did not have to lift a finger and everything arrived in perfect condition.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times
How much do people tip movers (say four men), if they were packing and loading a house full of stuff into a truck and also (a different four at the destination) for unloading and unpacking your stuff?

Old 12-27-2009, 02:10 PM

810 posts, read 3,309,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How much do people tip movers (say four men), if they were packing and loading a house full of stuff into a truck and also (a different four at the destination) for unloading and unpacking your stuff?
My BIL had a corp move to CO earlier this year. He tipped the 3 movers $100 each before they started working and told to be careful with his things, not to scratch the house, etc. He also gave them unlimited bottled waters and have pizza delivered.

In CO, it was the same 3 movers that unloaded. He also gave them the same tip, unlimited waters and had food delivered.

He said they did a great job packing/unpacking and respecting the walls w/o scratches.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:17 PM

810 posts, read 3,309,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I shake with anger as I write this.

I've had two corporate relos too (and a third one coming up in the next couple months). Our last one in 2008 from CO to AL, I had my garage contents completely organized on shelves: boxes for electrical, plumbing, computer (three boxes), audio/visual, auto parts, cable, phone, old eyeglasses, maps, PVC, outdoor lighting, holiday stuff, etc. A lot of the contents of these boxes were tiny, like hardware (nuts, bolts, hooks, etc.) and PVC parts.

These knuckleheads just dumped the contents of two or more of my boxes into one of their boxes and mixed everything up. How could anyone be so inconsiderate (or stupid)?
The same BIL that moved to CO, told the movers to leave certain boxes that he packed alone. The movers placed a sticker on the outside of the box. It means that it will not be covered if damaged. Also, the mover will not unpack these boxes at the new destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues