Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think America will ever have the tallest skyscraper again?
Yes 34 30.91%
No 76 69.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times

Advertisements

No. Most of us and our communities are way too cheap and care too much about the few extra pennies in our own pockets to do anything great anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 12:29 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
They don't build structures like they used to anymore. I feel like the Asian Countries are trying to advance advance ADVANCE, competing with the US. They're also less likely to use up (sprawl up) as much space as the US, so high rises are their specialty in general.
Anyway, I have no idea where I'm going with this- But my answer is NO!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:51 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
I say very unlikely. Every other place in the world that wants to prove its sucessfulness wants to build the tallest. We no longer have the will or feel the need to do that. There are some cities in the east that are very sprawled, low lying cities but have some supertalls to try to show some power. There are also some cities/countries in this world that are geographically small/confined, but are tax havens for certain types of businesses. There will always be a high demand to build alot on these tight spaces.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Oh yea... also even in the U.S.... among anti-sprawl urbanites the trend isn't a desire to build up extremely high. I think more people spend time thinking about lifestyles at the street level and are more concerned with the first 5 stories regardless of the height of a building.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
I voted yes.

We are certainly capable of it.

But without a reason to have it, it's not financially feasible at this point.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
how about we realize that america doesn't need to be in a pissing contest with these other countries that only copy what we do anyway. like another poster said, these other nations must feel that they have something to prove. america has nothing to prove. so let's just be graceful about it and continue building sensible skyscrapers

http://www.silvestreherrera.info/images/american-flag.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
I would say no, because we have no need.

Tallest building contests are for developing nations, like China and United Arab Emirates. Rich, established countries don't need the ego boost, and aren't going to waste the money.

The thing is that supertalls generally make no financial sense. They are generally only built when there's a non-economic motivation.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:44 PM

23,458 posts, read 44,061,014 times
No. Skyscrapers are like Crack to the Asians.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,236 times
Default No

I say NO.

The United States has been there and done that. The fascination with such was a late-19th Century/early-20th century phenomenon.

Who cares now? Obviously the developing nations do because they have something to prove.

It's interesting to me that this thread came up as my home city, San Jose, is home to no sky scrapers. Yes, this is partly because SJ's downtown is in a flight path. However, it's partly because SJ doesn't seem to need sky scrapers.

Most of the newer commercial buildings outside of downtown SJ are no more than several stories high.

Most of the newer apartment buildings outside of downtown SJ are about 5-10 stories high, with the tallest in downtown being about 15 stories high.

IMO, these 5-15 story apartment buildings signify the future not only of SJ but of most moderate-sized cities that have already sprawled and are now going to grow upward. I'm thinking of other cities in CA, TX and perhaps WA.

If you look at some of the older, more dense cities of the Mediterranean and Europe, you see buildings that are no taller that about 5 stories high. Why? Because that's all they need.

Last edited by sjnative; 01-04-2011 at 11:05 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Point to hong kong on that one. But thats so true though. That and extremely cheap labor. In new york a tower won't get built just because it blocks some rich nimby's view of central park
And in San FranNimby, it's the royalty on the hills who decides what gets built, how tall, and it had better not impede their views of the Bay, or they'll enlist some terrorist to chop off 1 or 2000 feet of it!

Nimbyapolis (Minneapolis) is another place off-limits.

Houston! Now there we go! Just the amount of ego to do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.