Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has your community been affected by an increase in crime?
Yes 15 55.56%
No 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Over the past year, the U.S has experienced its first spike in violent crime in nearly 15 years! Middle sized cities were said to be suffering the most from the sudden spike. Has your community been affected by an increase in crime?

CNN.com - Violent crime takes first big jump since '91 - Jun 12, 2006

Admittely, that is an old story, but the newest statistics are not out yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 03:26 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
You can't go on crime statistics alone. Only 40% of crimes are reported by Americans. Report rates are higher in tighter communities (like suburbs) to keep the community up. In major cities and low income areas the rates are much lower. Many cities downgrade statistics for real estate, tourism and boosting the current administration. Other cities show true crime statistics for federal assistance (money).

The rise in crime we are seeing isn't just in comparson to last year, it is a problem we have been facing for a number of years now. There are a number of things to blame on it but crime will continue to go up. A growth in the gap between rich and poor. A much larger population of youth, juvenile offenders. A ghetto/hip hop culture of hate and no value for life. There are many problems but the fact is this was a long time coming. Crime peaked in America during the crack epidmeic of the late 80's/early 90's. Whatever goes up must come down, and whatever goes down, will come back up. Over history crime has come in a series of waves across America. We had our drop, and it's time for the rise again.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Actually crime seems to go different ways in my hometown and my current town.

Hampton, VA: Only has three homicides with one that the bullet was fired from another city. Not too much else rising. it has always had a reputation for crime.
Alexandria, VA: Already has four homicides (our avg. is 5) i see more and more police cars in my section of the city, a robbery every week a couple minutes down the street from me.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:58 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Yes, my town, Frederick,MD has increased dramatically in crime. The population is about 55,000. it is terrible and there are now gangs (according to the newspaper) which Frederick never had. Things are getting worse

Old 06-23-2007, 11:01 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I am blessed to live in a small suburb (population just over 10,000, 20some square miles) where crime is almost non-existant.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,198 times
Crime is pretty nonexistent in my suburb as well, which is one of the reasons I've chosen to live here.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:26 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
where I live,crim was once pretty much non existent, but in the recent years with all of the population growth, crime has shot way up

Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Default Yes

We need two to three times the number of law enforcement officers in every part of the city.

We have professional and very skilled criminals.

and we have very serious problems in the field of mental health--and what I consider a crisis in the prison system

cannot build jails and prisons fast enough--

Which comes first--improving the schools or prisons? Difficult to choose at this point.

Do not come to Atlanta unless you are a very nice person, please.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Here it definitely has, my community used to be very safe but now I'm not so sure if I should go outside at night for fear of a gang being out there

Old 06-23-2007, 11:34 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Here it definitely has, my community used to be very safe but now I'm not so sure if I should go outside at night for fear of a gang being out there
The crime wave in PBC is insane! I am really hoping my area will hold up. Honestly, I think that is where tough HOA's are a good thing, they tend to keep the criminals out when your community AND most surrounding communities run rigrious backround checks. You need a backround check to live like anywhere around here, and HOA's/landlords are really serious about it. I mean, there is still LOTS of youth crime in my county, and in some areas it is getting out of control. My local school system is pretty good, and I think that is what adds that extra layer of safety. Honestly, I think youth crime is the biggest threat to safety in the United States, with our aging population, and the younger population being more poor than ever and as the result illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.