Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:53 AM

16 posts, read 51,849 times

Advertisements

Hey there folks...I am a very cool, extremely colorful and outgoing NY'er living in Seattle WA for the past 10, hard and long years. I served in the military when I left NYC and would up falling in love with the beautiful city of Seattle during my travels back then and decided to stay.

Worst decision of my life, for me at least. Seattle has a rare reputation as being one of the most anti-social and standoffish cities in America. It is known for it's highly passive-aggressive populace and it's very large gay and ultra liberal communities. There has been thousands of postings all over the internet about how truly outwardly cold, aloof and politically correct Seattle-ites are. They may be educated civil and polite. But do not be fooled!

The people here are exactly what you read about, they are fatally introverted, insular, passive-aggressive and impossible to get to know..unless you fit nicely into one of their ultra liberal sub-cultures. The dating here for single men is a nightmare (there are 30,000 more single men than women here), as the women here are extremely pompous, boorish, provincial, and mostly left wing feminists who hate men.

I can't stand it here, and as I am a very blue collar, moderate, masculine and straight man. This city is torture on the social life folks especially if you are as outgoing as I am. Remember the word "passive-aggressive" when you think of Seattle. Lastly, the night life is wickedly pathetic and a waste of time to even go out.

Please help me decide where to relocate to. Especially as a single male in his early 40's and who is straight. I miss having male buddies, and I miss being able to find sane, cool, and non-boorish women again to date and befriend!!

I was looking at places like Nashville, Rochester NY, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Albuquerque NM, Tampa FL, Chicago, Columbus OH, Austin TX, Colorado Springs CO and etc....

I want a mid to large sized city with COOL and FRIENDLY people, male and female...and a lower cost of living and a decent economy...thanks for the help folks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 03:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Try Tacoma.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 AM

thought about Tacoma a few times....believe is much less snobby and provincial, yet I don't think I want to risk it...too close to Seattle...

Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,948 times
Sorry to hear it hasn't been working out for you, I was born and raised in Seattle and can agree with pretty much everything said. Luckily I grew up over there so meeting people was a lot easier than someone who isn't local. And yes, the dating scene is terrible(I recall it being amazing for the gay community though).

Also if you can't handle it in Seattle then don't even bother any of the other cities in Washington or the PNW for that matter. There are a number of theories as to why "Seattle Freeze" exists but I think the reason anti-social/insular/passive aggressive attitude is due to the rainy and constant overcast weather. People generally seem to be in a better mood when the weather is better.

My recommendation would be to go to a place that has good weather and meets your values.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
You've got some good cities picked out. You could run into a bit of that ultra liberal element in Austin so you might take it off your list.

I mean you'll find people who fit that description in just about any med-large city, but maybe not enough to get on your nerves.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:54 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
I would say that Indianapolis sounds like the perfect place for you.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
San Francisco or LA are out of the question?
South Beach Miami or Manhattan might up your lifes fun factor.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:26 AM

thanks this far for the replies..the thing is, I love people, all peoples......from all over the world even!!....it is just that Seattle-ites are unique...in the sense that they do not care to interact much, and don't seem to fancy the idea of human ineraction very much...it is odd here... there is a very high emphasis on intellectuality and holistic living styles (organic foods, veganism, new age practices, yoga and etc..)..everyone here has there face buried in a book or an Ipod,..and when you engage in conversation here act is they are being violated or if they do speak, they speak with great restraint.

Very geeky, and nerdy as well....that is who the women all date here, and the Metro-sexual is the king of the world here. I would not mind so much what lifestyle they choose to lead in as much as I simply wish they were warmer and more outgoing and engaging with other human beings. There is no culture here at all. The food is the worst, and the people really are void of any personality on the inside...but they love sporting a ton of tattoos and piercings here and I guess is one of the main clicky sub-cultures as well here. You have to be a geeky, techie, introverted, politically correct, ultra liberal soul to be RECEIVED here by others. They judge you where you are from. They hate NY'ers, they think southerners are all uneducated racists and ignorant. It is a very sheltered city with no heart at all as well. Terrible experience for a normal, masculine, straight dude! Trust me on this! I have been all over the world in the service, I know people...Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 09-20-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infromthestorm View Post
I want a mid to large sized city with COOL and FRIENDLY people, male and female...and a lower cost of living and a decent economy...thanks for the help folks!!
Nashville totally fits the bill. It's a young, progressive city with people from all over the US because of the music scene. The cost of living is low and it's not an economic/unemployment nightmare like some cities. A good friends of mine moved there from a city that is legendary for unfriendliness (DC), and absolutely fell in love with how open/nice most people were. Check out the East Nashville area, particularly Five Points.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 AM

I have never seen so many half ass looking stuck up women either who are nearly impossible to engage with or approach. It is like they about to call the cops if you try to say something to them. I am a combat vet and to be shunned from the very people I was protecting is really sad. It starts to make me feel hate for Americans and want to move overseas. Then again, yea, they are anti-military too. I just think Seattle is a socially retarded, cold, demonic city full of liberal, bourgeois, snobs. I cannot be here for much longer as it is killing me inside waking up here each day. I need to feel a part of again, and to be in a much friendlier city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.