Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 01:31 PM

78 posts, read 144,683 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Merrie and I am hoping to receive some help. I have to move out by next summer, I am living with a friend right now. I currently live in Vermont and hate it here with a passion. I would really love to get away from the long winters. I don't like the cold and really do hate snow but on the other hand I am not sure how I would do in hot summers as I complain when it hits 90 here.

I am mainly looking for:

Low crime
No snow if possible
Fresh air
Not overcrowded
Things to do
Beautiful scenery
Good place to raise a family

I am single and would be moving by myself. I would by driving to wherever I decide to move to. I will be looking for a bookkeeping/payroll job before I go. At first I will be renting a room to get me started.

Thank you in advance for any help
Merrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 01:57 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Well, you can't drive here but we've pretty much got everything else except perhaps the jobs. It is economically hard to raise a family around here but if you can figure out a way to make enough money it works. Can you work online with clients?

For "not overcrowded" we have Molokai and Lanai. Not many jobs, there, though. Beautiful scenery all over the place on any of the islands. The only snow is up on top of the mountain where we can look at it from the warm & sunny beach.

The downsides are the distance from any mainland relatives, the lack of employment and the sheer distance to ship in goods and things. Not to mention the high cost of everything. Oh wellos! Good weather is expensive.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I would also suggest Hawaii.

If that's too far, maybe Medford, Oregon might work for you. Warm and rainy, but little to no snow.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 PM

93,370 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Maybe places like Charlottesville VA, Lexington KY, Chapel Hill NC, Athens GA, Auburn AL, Clemson SC and Oxford MS, among others. All of those places listed are college towns and you could possibly look at the colleges for employment.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:53 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforgreatweather View Post
I am mainly looking for:

Low crime
No snow if possible
Fresh air
Not overcrowded
Things to do
Beautiful scenery
Good place to raise a family

I am single and would be moving by myself. I would by driving to wherever I decide to move to. I will be looking for a bookkeeping/payroll job before I go.
I too agree with the prior mention of Chapel Hill, NC (and the neighboring town of Carrboro).

There's very low crime, minimal snow (milder four season climate), clean air, it's not heavily crowded/congested, beautiful landscape (lots of trees/green) and it's a great place to raise a family (nationally ranked public schools). Being a college town and part of a larger metro area (Raleigh-Durham), there's a lot to do.

The unemployment rate is low by national standards as well. (7.2%)

Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carrboro, North Carolina Overview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.