Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:12 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,497 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I want to get out of the state of the Florida, I grew up here, he's from Buffalo but neither place really fits what we are looking for. Here's what we want:

-A Change of Seasons
-Hiking Opportunities available (State Parks, National Parks etc..)
-Middle Class Cost of Living
-Decent Schools for Middle School
-Diversity (We aren't a fan of copy/paste, we like culture and character)
-Nicer people (We know this is opinion based but I thought I'd throw it out there)
-Eastern U.S. -

Florida just doesn't fit our personality and we'd like to find a place that we can set roots in. I should mention I'm studying to become a librarian (my work history is Administrative office support) and he's an Inbound Sales Manager with a computer background, if that helps. Also, we are total nerds, we don't need the night life, we boogie on the Wii.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumermarie View Post
My boyfriend and I want to get out of the state of the Florida, I grew up here, he's from Buffalo but neither place really fits what we are looking for. Here's what we want:

-A Change of Seasons
-Hiking Opportunities available (State Parks, National Parks etc..)
-Nicer people (We know this is opinion based but I thought I'd throw it out there)
-Eastern U.S. -

Florida just doesn't fit our personality and we'd like to find a place that we can set roots in. I should mention I'm studying to become a librarian (my work history is Administrative office support) and he's an Inbound Sales Manager with a computer background, if that helps. Also, we are total nerds, we don't need the night life, we boogie on the Wii.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I'd recommend Chapel Hill-Carrboro, NC

The area has a mild four season climate, a lot of nice hiking nearby, an affordable cost of living, excellent schools, a diverse population and some very nice people. Lived there for 7 years and loved it!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carrboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - CHCCS: Who We are Facts & Figures
North Carolina Hiking | North Carolina Hikes

Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
What about the Albany NY area? You would be close to the Adirondacks, NYC, Boston, his family, an area that is affordable, they average as much snow as Denver(about 64 inches, so it doessn't get as much as Buffalo), has a low unemployment rate and plenty of good schools. It is an area with plenty of history and culture too.

You might like communities like Colonie, Niskayuna, Saratoga Springs, parts of Troy(Troy City SD graduated 80% of it kids according to recent stats and Lansingburgh SD grad. about 78% and could be good if you want an urban environment) and Guilderland, among some others. There plenty of private school options too.

Syracuse and Rochester could work if Upstate NY isn't out of the question. Both are affordable and have their share of good schools. There is culture in terms of the arts and festivals in both areas. You are still close to bigger cities if you want to take a day trip.

Here's a website that offer some good information: Central New York Jobs

Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,912 times
Pittsburgh PA may meet your needs:

Pittsburgh Hotels, Attractions & Vacation Packages : Pittsburgh PA CVB

Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
What about Grand Rapids, Michigan? It's a nice, diversity small city near the shores of the Great Lakes. Four seasons, including plenty of lake effect snow.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:17 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
What about the Philadelphia area?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:30 PM

463 posts, read 1,048,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd recommend Chapel Hill-Carrboro, NC

The area has a mild four season climate, a lot of nice hiking nearby, an affordable cost of living, excellent schools, a diverse population and some very nice people. Lived there for 7 years and loved it!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carrboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - CHCCS: Who We are Facts & Figures
North Carolina Hiking | North Carolina Hikes
Thank you! Greensboro was one of our considerations, I appreciate the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about the Albany NY area? You would be close to the Adirondacks, NYC, Boston, his family, an area that is affordable, they average as much snow as Denver(about 64 inches, so it doessn't get as much as Buffalo), has a low unemployment rate and plenty of good schools. It is an area with plenty of history and culture too.

You might like communities like Colonie, Niskayuna, Saratoga Springs, parts of Troy(Troy City SD graduated 80% of it kids according to recent stats and Lansingburgh SD grad. about 78% and could be good if you want an urban environment) and Guilderland, among some others. There plenty of private school options too.

Syracuse and Rochester could work if Upstate NY isn't out of the question. Both are affordable and have their share of good schools. There is culture in terms of the arts and festivals in both areas. You are still close to bigger cities if you want to take a day trip.

Here's a website that offer some good information: Central New York Jobs
We considered Albany, but in my research I found a lot of complaints about long, harsh winters, I don't mind 20-30 inches of snow a year but 60-90 is a little much for me. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
What about Grand Rapids, Michigan? It's a nice, diversity small city near the shores of the Great Lakes. Four seasons, including plenty of lake effect snow.
I want snow but not too much, I do appreciate the suggestion however. I've been to Grand Rapids during the summer, it is quite gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
What about the Philadelphia area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
PA comes up a few times but I haven't done enough research to see. I imagine the city proper isn't recommended but what about the suburbs?

Old 11-09-2010, 03:40 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
What about Knoxville TN or parts of Upstate SC?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
PA comes up a few times but I haven't done enough research to see. I imagine the city proper isn't recommended but what about the suburbs?
There's parts of Philly that are great areas to live, but schools and such will be a drag. I'm not familiar with the Philly burbs in PA , but I know of some in NJ that are very nice. Collingswood, Cherry Hill, and Marlton are nice.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Here's what we want:
-Eastern U.S. -
I'm moving out of Philadelphia as fast as I can (a few more weeks) after living here for 7 years. To find decent middle schools you'll live in the vanilla-suburbs in somewhat expensive areas with little diversity/culture/character and amongst some not-so-nice people IMO. I've lived in FL, NC, VA and DC and this area is by far the least friendliest from my experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.