Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Quintessential, meaning most representative and typical of the U.S.

I am going to have to vote for Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Ohio is mini-america

Old 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM

537 posts, read 818,984 times
I would say some of the more moderate states, such as Ohio, Maine, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, and Indiana.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:38 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Illinois.

80% of America lives in urban centers. Illinois is a reflection of that. The demographics of the state and country are nearly identical. Chicagoland mirrors the national economy by 95% almost, and even has the same unemployment rate (or near it) as the country. There are hundreds of other parallels, but I'll stop it there for now.

Illinois is called the All American State, and I believe it.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM

537 posts, read 818,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Illinois.

80% of America lives in urban centers. Illinois is a reflection of that. The demographics of the state and country are nearly identical. Chicagoland mirrors the national economy by 95% almost, and even has the same unemployment rate (or near it) as the country. There are hundreds of other parallels, but I'll stop it there for now.

Illinois is called the All American State, and I believe it.
I believe the suburbs around New York reflect America as well.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
I believe the suburbs around New York reflect America as well.
I think Chicagoland is actually a microcosm of America, also DMV feels like a microcosm of America as well.

I think Tri-State Area (New York-NNJ-CT) is more of a microcosm of the world rather than America. The Tri-State Area covers extensively the cultures as depicted around the world, the ethnicities, the background, the languages, the food, the education, the traditions, & nearly every aspect of a cultural drive in the world has found itself some corner in the Tri-State Area.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Not sure any state fits that.

Politically Ohio might be the most typical. The states "Partisan Vote Index" is about average, albeit a tad more Republican than average, and the Presidential candidate who carries Ohio usually wins the Presidency. (Nixon won Ohio in 1960, but lost to JFK overall. In 1944 Dewey beat FDR in Ohio)

Demographically Illinois might be the most typical. It's a bit more black, and less Hispanic, than average but as close to average as I found. Interestingly Florida also came out close to average in demographics, although it's somewhat less white than average. Florida is politically more "average" than Illinois as it's a swing state whereas Illinois is fairly Democratic do to Chicago. Although Florida I think is more polarized than America as a whole. The idea of Florida as a possibility for "typically American" sounds a bit odd to me, but maybe America's changed enough it fits. A polarized state with a large Hispanic population sounds potentially like what's going to be "typically American."

Economically Washington State looks to have a rate of unemployment at the US average. Alabama, Illinois, Missouri, and New Jersey were only .1% off from average. Ohio was .3% off, but Florida was hit way worse by the recession than average.

So I guess Illinois is a good choice. Ohio could also make sense.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
So I guess Illinois is a good choice. Ohio could also make sense.
I normally agree with your posts but I think Ohio is way to decentralized of a state and also the most balanced state to be like America in many regards.

For example, Ohio economically has 3 Metropolitan Areas that fall under the same range of influence (91 Billion-101 Billion in Economic Output (GDP)) and also has three Metropolitan Areas that are located in the North (Northeast), Central (Dead Center), & South (Southwest) ends of its respective state, with fairly same ball park on population for all of their metropolitan areas (1.8 Million to 2.3 Million). The Metropolitan Areas I'm referring to being Cincinnati, Cleveland, & Columbus.

America as a whole is pretty centralized more now than it ever has been before with its population centers being scattered and also different levels of power and influence as a whole to be considered uniform to the same train of thought.

Just my perspective though.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
Ohio's a bit too far from the West, so I vote Illinois.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,434 times
missouri. no state mixes north/south, east/west, urban/rural, democrat/republican as well as the show-me state. it also sits geographically in the center of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.