Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:22 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,739 times

Advertisements

Seasonal Affect Disorder is really a condition? I have never heard of it until this thread. Isn't it more of a mind thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
I live in Oregon, I thought I had it a couple years ago but the last few years I haven't really got it.

Amber, it is a real condition, sort of like how depression is a 'disease', so is SAD, ie an imbalance of chemicals.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
I live in Oregon, I thought I had it a couple years ago but the last few years I haven't really got it.

Amber, it is a real condition, sort of like how depression is a 'disease', so is SAD, ie an imbalance of chemicals.

Thanks. I wasn't trying to come off wrong. I appreciate your answer.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:17 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,405 times
I can't say how much I hate comments like that which Amber made (although she couldn't help it.)

I have had diagnosed depression for 5 years, and it gets horrible starting in late November until about April.

My secrets to alleviate these symptoms:

High Omega-3 pills (Vitamin Shoppe.) Highest concentration you can find
5-HTP (Helps serotonin synthesis)
And obviously a multivitamin.

The Omega 3 and 5-HTP are more potent than any major SSRI antidepressant I have been on, such as Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, etc.

Help your brain (with these supplements,) and your brain will in turn help you (by taking away your depression.)

I used to be very cynical, pessimistic, debbie downer, until I finally found the right supplements. I now have more friends, the friends that I have now like being with me better, I also have better work relationships, and my performance has improved.

Best of luck with your Seasonal Affective Disorder. I believe it is a side effect of Major Depressive Disorder. Think outside the box

Also, when I fixed my depression with the high Omega 3 dosage, I was shocked to find out that my Attention Deficit issues went away as well. You'll never hear Pfizer agree with any of this, but it is obvious now that we have the internet and can connect with similar cases across the world.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,058 times
Default learning about SAD

All my life I dreaded the coming of autumn. I always figured it had something to do with going back to school, just a psychological dislike of the drudgery and getting up in the morning. (Don't misunderstand me, for the most part I enjoy learning.) I remember one day in 1980 reading an article in the newspaper about a form of depression that had just been given a name by the NIMH. I think I yelled out loud, "That's ME!" I cut out the article and I still have it. I wrote a letter of inquiry to NIMH (yes, a snail mail letter--remember those?) and got a response back a few months later. I still have the booklet that was sent to me too. I was relieved to discover that I wasn't alone in having this condition. Many people with SAD say they wish they could hibernate and sleep all winter like bears, or they wish they could fly south for the winter like birds.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:19 PM

130 posts, read 336,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I can't say how much I hate comments like that which Amber made (although she couldn't help it.)

I have had diagnosed depression for 5 years, and it gets horrible starting in late November until about April.

My secrets to alleviate these symptoms:

High Omega-3 pills (Vitamin Shoppe.) Highest concentration you can find
5-HTP (Helps serotonin synthesis)
And obviously a multivitamin.

The Omega 3 and 5-HTP are more potent than any major SSRI antidepressant I have been on, such as Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, etc.

Help your brain (with these supplements,) and your brain will in turn help you (by taking away your depression.)

I used to be very cynical, pessimistic, debbie downer, until I finally found the right supplements. I now have more friends, the friends that I have now like being with me better, I also have better work relationships, and my performance has improved.

Best of luck with your Seasonal Affective Disorder. I believe it is a side effect of Major Depressive Disorder. Think outside the box

Also, when I fixed my depression with the high Omega 3 dosage, I was shocked to find out that my Attention Deficit issues went away as well. You'll never hear Pfizer agree with any of this, but it is obvious now that we have the internet and can connect with similar cases across the world.
I suffer from the same things as you. I take both Omega 3 and 5-HTP (along with a multivitamin) but I still find myself pretty depressed and not very optimistic. How much do you take per day?

I was actually thinking of moving to a sunnier climate because I feel more down in the winter than I do in the summer. However, I have always heard that your problems tend to follow you regardless of where you are.

Oh, and I was actually born in October but in Hawaii so I am not sure if that affects my predisposition to SAD or clinical depression.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,639 times
Yes SAD is very real, and I can survive (but not flourish) mine by taking vitamin D in the winter months.
I fight it every year, feel guilty because everyone is facing the same weather conditions so what right to I have to be such a negative nelly, but do have a hard time maintain friendships in these months. By August I am convinced that it wasn't really that bad and was just my imagination. Here I am in April and feeling pretty damn bad waching the snow flurries outside my window. We don't even have buds on the trees yet.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Yes SAD is very real, and I can survive (but not flourish) mine by taking vitamin D in the winter months.
I fight it every year, feel guilty because everyone is facing the same weather conditions so what right to I have to be such a negative nelly, but do have a hard time maintain friendships in these months. By August I am convinced that it wasn't really that bad and was just my imagination. Here I am in April and feeling pretty damn bad waching the snow flurries outside my window. We don't even have buds on the trees yet.
Where are you? It's sunny and clear now.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,639 times
I am in Northern NY, 2 hours directly north of Syracuse. About 15 minutes from the Canadian border.

Today is better, woke up to everything frozen, from the ground to the top of the trees, but it is quickly melting. Sun all day and a high of 50s. Looking at the extended forecast makes me think we may have finally finished with the snow.

Today is my folks 32 anniversary and on the day they got married they had a full blown blizzard. Mother Nature can be a real ....

Old 04-24-2011, 06:07 AM

769 posts, read 1,730,693 times
I've never felt this, although I live in Miami. Hehe. We have pretty sunny weather compared to most of the south, but still humid enough to have PM thunderstorms everyday which keeps the temperatures under 90 all the time. I was always scared that if I would ever have to move up north it would be too cold. Here in Miami we rarely get under 50 in a cold front, and our "winter" days usually average at about 70-75, summer is 85-90. I just cannot imagine more than maybe 2 or 3 weeks with temperatures under 50. I would die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.