Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:03 PM

546 posts, read 1,177,468 times

Advertisements

If let's say in a fantasy world or parallel universe that every major and very dense city in America (NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Boston, Philly) had a cost of living expense that was as low as it is in Texas which is known to be a low cost of living place where your hard earned dollars stretch far and you get a lot for your money, would you choose to live there over where you live now?

Like imagine if you could get a luxury condo in a major city that is only slightly less spacious (like if you own a 2200 square foot house in a suburb IRL right now, you could afford a 1800-2000 square foot condo in a major city) for the same amount of money for your mortgage payment or rent if your house was in Texas, would that influence your decision too as far as living in a major city?

Also included is that you could live in NYC, Chicago, San Fran etc and you could buy soft drinks or groceries for same amount of money as it would be in Texas which has a low cost of living and that is why people love moving there since you can buy more things with less rather than less things with more money.

Or would you still choose to not live in a major dense city like NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Boston or Philly even if everything there was inexpensive (including taxes BTW)? Why not?

One note is that for this question, assume that all public services that are funded by taxes would be the same as they are right now in that city. Such as if you chose to live in New York, you'd still have subways and buses and social services and other government funded things of the same quality, but with just less taxes and costs to you as if you were living in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:33 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
I have way too much state pride to leave Texas to live anywhere else, but Texas.

Born n raised Texan here!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Do you work for the chamber of commerce in Texas? Just as an FYI, the high-priced places on your list pay subsequent high salaries so that those living there can afford it.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Maybe when I was younger, but probably not now. I don't think I could adjust to a large city at this point. Also I'd be scared to death of getting hit by a car when I cross the street. (Maybe not crime so much because I wouldn't have much money to steal and I'd like to think mugging a brittle-boned guy in a wheelchair would just make a criminal look weak to other criminals)

Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
If let's say in a fantasy world or parallel universe that every major and very dense city in America (NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Boston, Philly) had a cost of living expense that was as low as it is in Texas which is known to be a low cost of living place where your hard earned dollars stretch far and you get a lot for your money, would you choose to live there over where you live now?

Like imagine if you could get a luxury condo in a major city that is only slightly less spacious (like if you own a 2200 square foot house in a suburb IRL right now, you could afford a 1800-2000 square foot condo in a major city) for the same amount of money for your mortgage payment or rent if your house was in Texas, would that influence your decision too as far as living in a major city?

Also included is that you could live in NYC, Chicago, San Fran etc and you could buy soft drinks or groceries for same amount of money as it would be in Texas which has a low cost of living and that is why people love moving there since you can buy more things with less rather than less things with more money.

Or would you still choose to not live in a major dense city like NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Boston or Philly even if everything there was inexpensive (including taxes BTW)? Why not?

One note is that for this question, assume that all public services that are funded by taxes would be the same as they are right now in that city. Such as if you chose to live in New York, you'd still have subways and buses and social services and other government funded things of the same quality, but with just less taxes and costs to you as if you were living in Texas.
To answer your question succinctly:

The value of quality public education - priceless!
The value of quality public health - priceless!
The value of quality public transportation - priceless!

I could go on, but I won't (don't have the energy). And, your question is specious because you don't get services if you don't pay for them. Those reasons - and any number of other factors I haven't mentioned (including other safety net values) - more than justify the increased cost of living (real or imagined) in any of the cities you mentioned over anywhere in Texas.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
I live in (Alphabetical order):
- Austin
- Chicago
- Houston
- Washington DC

I wouldn't have my life any other way at all than what it is now. That is all.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:22 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
No. City life is inferior to suburban life, period.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 AM

355 posts, read 912,106 times
I currently live in a low cost of living city (Indy) and make a decent living wage that I do ok here but could not even think about supporting myself successfully in a city like NY of San Fran. I would choose to live in another city but it most definatley would only be off a small list, other than Indy I honestly would only like to live in chicago or NY. Been to chicago many mnay times and I like the city alot. Never been to NY but want to go very badly. Also I really really like Toronto. Other than these 3 and maybe Boston I can't think of a place I like better than Indy, but this is because I am a homer and big fan of my city.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:32 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
No. City life is inferior to suburban life, period.
Population shifts would indicate otherwise.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:35 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
I'd live in Camden NJ before I'[d live in Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.