Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 PM

12 posts, read 20,384 times

Advertisements

Hello all American brothers and sisters,

I am new member from Germany in Europe and I have been to your country few times and I love it very much. I wish one day I will move to America and live there because I love your country and the lifestyle. But I don't like one thing about your country was the miles, yard, feet and fahrenheit system you use. Why don't you use the meter system like rest of the world? It would be much easier and better.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
America is resistant to change, even when better.

The mentality is, "I dont want to learn anything new, and what he have now is fine because it is all I know."

In the 70s the US started to shift over to metric, but Reagan stopped it.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 PM

12 posts, read 20,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
America is resistant to change, even when better.

The mentality is, "I dont want to learn anything new, and what he have now is fine because it is all I know."

In the 70s the US started to shift over to metric, but Reagan stopped it.
That is very bad and I'm sad. Who is Reagan and why he stopped it??? Why do you Americans listen to him???

Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutchBoy View Post
Hello all American brothers and sisters,

I am new member from Germany in Europe and I have been to your country few times and I love it very much. I wish one day I will move to America and live there because I love your country and the lifestyle. But I don't like one thing about your country was the miles, yard, feet and fahrenheit system you use. Why don't you use the meter system like rest of the world? It would be much easier and better.

Thank you very much.
Psssh- we shouldn't have to adapt to the rest of the world. They should adapt to us!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
That is very bad and I'm sad. Who is Reagan and why he stopped it??? Why do you Americans listen to him???
Reagan was a terrible president in the 80's who somehow got re-elected and did nothing but ruin the country.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
He was president twice in the 80s. The modern GOP party is based off his ideas, and he kicked off the Reagan revolution, although he would probably be labeled a liberal by todays GOP. He lowered taxes, decreased regulation, cut social government programs, decreased government services, expanded the US military, etc. He also merged the Republican party with fundamentalist christians reviving it. You really have never heard of him? He was an actor before he was president, and is often believed to be senile while he was president.

Anyway Republicans loved him while democrats tend not to have liked him. He also removed the solar panels on the white house because he didnt believe in solar energy.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:12 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Lol, the true answer is that America just grew up on this system. So why change it if it aint broke? And actually, we use the metric system in science and law and stuff like that (we measure drug weights in metric) but from day to day usage it's just what's normal. And actually, where I live the roads are named after mile distances from the center of the city, so it's natural to Americans.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Lol, the true answer is that America just grew up on this system. So why change it if it aint broke? And actually, we use the metric system in science and law and stuff like that (we measure drug weights in metric) but from day to day usage it's just what's normal. And actually, where I live the roads are named after mile distances from the center of the city, so it's natural to Americans.
Other countries had it too, but replaced it with a better one. Miles arent American. The old system was used by the world too, along with the US. They got with times and updated. The US and Liberia are the only countries backwards enough to keep it.

Your attitude is very American, but it is stupid. Why keep an inferior system to a superior one? It is like using Windows 3.1 because you are used to it.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,105 times
Quote:
LOL, this sounds like hardcore trolling, but I bet you legitimately don't know who Ronald Reagan is. And if you live in Germany, I guess I shouldn't expect you to know.

Ronald Reagan was the president of the United States from 1981 to 1989. He was a conservative Republican. Reagan was famous for being the oldest president, a record he still holds today. Maybe because of this, he was very resistant to modern/progressive ideas. His predecessor, Jimmy Carter made energy conservation a focal point of his presidency. He applied solar panels to the roof of the White House. Reagan took them down. So I'm not surprised that Reagan didn't feel the need to continue transitioning to the metric system. And honestly, he was probably more popular for it, because most Americans were not ready to make that change either.

I can't wait to watch this thread become a referendum on Reagan and his presidency.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:29 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Other countries had it too, but replaced it with a better one. Miles arent American. The old system was used by the world too, along with the US. They got with times and updated. The US and Liberia are the only countries backwards enough to keep it.

Your attitude is very American, but it is stupid. Why keep an inferior system to a superior one? It is like using Windows 3.1 because you are used to it.
It's not like I don't know metric, but I don't use it in daily activities. Like what difference does it make if I know something is 10 miles away or 9 kilometers? Sure 9 kilometers equals 9000 meters but how relevant is that in day to day activities? (I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you how many feet are in 10 miles off the top of my head so I may have just proved your point)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.