Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 AM

410 posts, read 832,959 times

Advertisements

Sorry if I am bombarding you with threads...I am just having difficulty finding affordable cities on my income that also have job availability. To be specific, I would be unable to afford more than $455.00 for rent (an efficiency is fine).

$600 or $700, while cheap, is not doable for me. I am a bookkeeper and they make pretty much on average around $12.00 an hour.

From the suggestions made, I am leaning to the midwest (IN, OH, WI), but still cross-referencing jobs with apartment costs.

I do have a car, so wouldn't need public transport.

I have some family in Charleston, but have found most coastal areas unaffordable.

My current living situation is horrible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Maybe Omaha NE.......

Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
Omaha people: 901,000
Unemployment rate: 4.1%
Metro rank in income out of 383: 44
Cost of living index: 88% (12% below national average)

Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM

You know, I have heard great things about Omaha - cheap rent, tons of jobs... my only fear is that as a single woman (46 years old) with a medical history (cancer), I fear that climate might be too harsh for me. I can deal with cold, but not sure about Nebraska winters - those are pretty harsh...?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:19 AM

864 posts, read 1,123,352 times
Athens GA

Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I don't know your criteria for climate other than what you mentioned about Omaha as being so cold. If you are flexible on the climate perhaps the San Antonio area. The economy hasn't tanked as much in Texas and San Antonio as much of the country has. The region has a good economic base with the Military and companies that are there. Austin is within 1 1/2 hours away or so, both cities contribute to a fairly strong economy in that region of Texas. The climate is hot as summer approaches and into the early fall. The rest of the year is mild including the winters.

I know the area rates highly for people looking for retirement locales. A region that have a lower cost of living and some semblence of an economy. As well as for those that are wanting some type of employment/part time job to supplement income. Decent medical and shopping areas. Basically what comes with a persons criteria such as yours. A lower cost of living in a warmer climate, yet having the opportunities you are seeking.

Check San Antonio and see how it fits your needs.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:31 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
You know, I have heard great things about Omaha - cheap rent, tons of jobs... my only fear is that as a single woman (46 years old) with a medical history (cancer), I fear that climate might be too harsh for me. I can deal with cold, but not sure about Nebraska winters - those are pretty harsh...?
Well, it does have moments of harshness. The average high in January is 36. Most of the time our winters have about 2-4 weeks of harshness and the rest is very tolerable. Like this year, we had mainly 50-60 degree highs since the second week of February.

Omaha has has one of the nation's most extensive and re-knowned medical facilities (per Places Rated Almanac). Cancer research and care is very good here.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Well, it does have moments of harshness. The average high in January is 36. Most of the time our winters have about 2-4 weeks of harshness and the rest is very tolerable. Like this year, we had mainly 50-60 degree highs since the second week of February.

Omaha has has one of the nation's most extensive and re-knowned medical facilities (per Places Rated Almanac). Cancer research and care is very good here.
2-4 weeks I could deal with. I didn't know - I thought it was much worse than that. 50-60 is nice.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't know your criteria for climate other than what you mentioned about Omaha as being so cold. If you are flexible on the climate perhaps the San Antonio area. The economy hasn't tanked as much in Texas and San Antonio as much of the country has. The region has a good economic base with the Military and companies that are there. Austin is within 1 1/2 hours away or so, both cities contribute to a fairly strong economy in that region of Texas. The climate is hot as summer approaches and into the early fall. The rest of the year is mild including the winters.

I know the area rates highly for people looking for retirement locales. A region that have a lower cost of living and some semblence of an economy. As well as for those that are wanting some type of employment/part time job to supplement income. Decent medical and shopping areas. Basically what comes with a persons criteria such as yours. A lower cost of living in a warmer climate, yet having the opportunities you are seeking.

Check San Antonio and see how it fits your needs.
JimRob, several cities in TX were the first on my list (Houston and Dallas leading the way as far as jobs and cheap rent). But I thought (and I dont mean this the wrong way) I would have to be bilingual there to get a decent job (that's how it is in Miami and I thought it might be the same way there). I wouldn't care at all - only from an employment perspective. Or is that not accurate?

Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
Sorry if I am bombarding you with threads...I am just having difficulty finding affordable cities on my income that also have job availability. To be specific, I would be unable to afford more than $455.00 for rent (an efficiency is fine).

$600 or $700, while cheap, is not doable for me. I am a bookkeeper and they make pretty much on average around $12.00 an hour.

From the suggestions made, I am leaning to the midwest (IN, OH, WI), but still cross-referencing jobs with apartment costs.

I do have a car, so wouldn't need public transport.

I have some family in Charleston, but have found most coastal areas unaffordable.

My current living situation is horrible...
I would live in Dallas. Plano, TX. Cheap rent, jobs galore, big and spacious, wide open skies, best tech industry in Texas, most diverse place in Texas behind Houston, and airport is international so I can fly to Japan, Africa, California, Florida, or New York if I wanted to without driving to another city in Texas to cheapen the tickets. Oh and have you seen the women?! Their hotter than fire. Dallas is the way to go!

But if you don't want to do Dallas, San Antonio (where I live now) is another option, along with Houston and Austin as other choices. Their all equally awesome cities to me that meet your criteria!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.