Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:04 PM

88 posts, read 144,766 times

Advertisements

I'm a lifelong New Yorker. I've been thinking about moving my family (wife and 2 boys in junior high school) out of NYC. However I am apprehensive to move to the South or the West because I feel that my family will be those stereotypical northern transplants who are too loud/abrasive and complaining about the bagels, pizza etc. plus we are Italian and outside of the Northeast I don't think there are many Italians. Only place with low taxes, gun rights and political balance plus the cultural and social things in the south would be Florida. But FL isn't somewhere I wanna live it is too hot. I have always wanted to open a business, probably a liquor store or even a gas station but the cost here in NYC is too much for me to get off the ground. What metro area in the northeast (Boston, Rhode Island, CT outside of Fairfield County, Central and South Jersey, the Philly area and New Castle County Delaware) would be the best option for us IYO?

We would want to live in either a close suburb or suburban part of the city. We aren't much for downtown living we prefer a home or townhouse. Good schools are important and especially schools with strong sports programs because baseball is my oldest sons whole life basically. We are coming from Staten Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
I'm a lifelong New Yorker. I've been thinking about moving my family (wife and 2 boys in junior high school) out of NYC. However I am apprehensive to move to the South or the West because I feel that my family will be those stereotypical northern transplants who are too loud/abrasive and complaining about the bagels, pizza etc. plus we are Italian and outside of the Northeast I don't think there are many Italians. Only place with low taxes, gun rights and political balance plus the cultural and social things in the south would be Florida. But FL isn't somewhere I wanna live it is too hot. I have always wanted to open a business, probably a liquor store or even a gas station but the cost here in NYC is too much for me to get off the ground. What metro area in the northeast (Boston, Rhode Island, CT outside of Fairfield County, Central and South Jersey, the Philly area and New Castle County Delaware) would be the best option for us IYO?

We would want to live in either a close suburb or suburban part of the city. We aren't much for downtown living we prefer a home or townhouse. Good schools are important and especially schools with strong sports programs because baseball is my oldest sons whole life basically. We are coming from Staten Island.
It sound like you've already ruled out a large part of the U.S., but transplants are very common in southern/western cities and I doubt anyone would even notice that you're Italian. I know there are lots of Italian Americans around Atlanta.

If you don't want to be stereotypical then you don't have to be, but you are stereotyping two huge/diverse regions of the U.S. unfairly.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
CT, MA & RI are considered to have strict gun laws. Try New Hampshire which may be more to your liking if you can handle the winter.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It sound like you've already ruled out a large part of the U.S., but transplants are very common in southern/western cities and I doubt anyone would even notice that you're Italian. I know there are lots of Italian Americans around Atlanta.

If you don't want to be stereotypical then you don't have to be, but you are stereotyping two huge/diverse regions of the U.S. unfairly.
I just have a "northeast" personality and so does my family. It's a hard thing to describe but me acting normal was seen as very rude when I was visiting in Charlotte. It's just everything down to the accents, the traditions it's hard to explain.

I am thinking that since PA has a more balance politically (if not for Philly it would be a red state) that maybe the laws are less restrictive in re:guns and taxes

Old 04-29-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
CT, MA & RI are considered to have strict gun laws. Try New Hampshire which may be more to your liking if you can handle the winter.
Oh I live for the cold. I have been to NH but only the rural areas by Quebec...is there a more urban/suburban part...maybe the region closer to MA?

Old 04-29-2015, 08:37 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Quote:
I am thinking that since PA has a more balance politically (if not for Philly it would be a red state) that maybe the laws are less restrictive in re:guns and taxes
Somewhere in the leigh valley?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,521,678 times
Vermont has the least stringent gun laws, by far, in the Northeast, but it is otherwise extremely liberal.
Pennsylvania and New Hampshire are more fiscally conservative than Vermont, but have more restrictive gun laws.

I think Lancaster County, PA is going to be your best bet overall.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Vermont has the least stringent gun laws, by far, in the Northeast, but it is otherwise extremely liberal.
Pennsylvania and New Hampshire are more fiscally conservative than Vermont, but have more restrictive gun laws.

I think Lancaster County, PA is going to be your best bet overall.
That's Amish Country right? How's the commute to philly from over there?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:17 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,521,678 times
Quote:
That's Amish Country right? How's the commute to philly from over there?
It'd be manageable if you only had to physically go in to work a couple days a week. A friend of mine is a college professor who lives in Philly and works in Lancaster. He takes the Amtrak in (about 70 minutes each way) on Mondays and Wednesdays to teach and attend meetings, and he works from home the rest of the week.

However, I'd shoot myself before I'd make a commute like that Monday through Friday.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times
Quote:
I just have a "northeast" personality and so does my family. It's a hard thing to describe but me acting normal was seen as very rude when I was visiting in Charlotte. It's just everything down to the accents, the traditions it's hard to explain.

I hate that you see that experience in Charlotte as typical for the entire region. I understand that people are different from different regions, but in a large southern city you have a melting pot of people from everywhere...so you wouldn't stand out in the least. Anyway good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.