Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,957 times

Advertisements

Anybody know where in U.S. there is cheap desert land with a lot of sun, that can be used for things like solar power research and development, with enough space for different solar array systems? Somewhere between 5 and 15 acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 01:20 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Try SW NM..they get a lot of sun there and it is nearly as hot as southern CA. Towns around 1 hour of Las Cruces would be a good start. I would think parts of SE and extreme SW AZ may be affordable as well.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:40 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,154 times
You might want to check around Kingman Arizona. I know they have some parcel of land pretty reasonable. I live about 40 miles away. I can tell you, you will definately have PLENTY of sunshine enjoy!

Old 04-15-2007, 01:44 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,660 times
What good would research do out in the middle of the desert, the results would be irrelavant to other normal living conditions, nobody is going to actually be living there or such a small percentage of the population, the cost to research & manufacture vs. sales would not even be economically feasable, so the research would have to be done in several locations with all having variable sunlight & temperatures to see which type systems would produce the best results for the least cost vs. normal power resources.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:58 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Some desert areas where I've seen cheap land advertised are in or around:

Ash Fork/Seligman, AZ
Box Elder County, UT
Tularosa, NM
Quemado/Pie Town/Magdalena, NM
Fence Lake, NM
Alamosa/Ft. Garland/Walsenberg, CO
Modena/Beryl, UT
El Paso, TX
Barstow/Dagget/Newberry Springs, CA
Elko/Montello, NV
Burns, OR
Evanston, WY

I can't speak about solar research in any of these areas, but all of these areas have land available that is relatively inexpensive, or at least used to be. There may not be much available in some of these areas now, but I've found cheap land in these areas in the past. In at least a few of these areas, there are parcels available in the size range you are interested in.

I'm sure you can learn more about any of these areas by conducting an on-line search.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:02 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Maybe that stretch of desert between Barstow, CA and the Nevada state line.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:14 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Maybe that stretch of desert between Barstow, CA and the Nevada state line.
Much of this stretch is now part of the Mojave Desert Preserve. There are a few pockets of private land through this area, and I can't imagine that anything that is available would be too expensive, so this might be a good area to check out.

Most people see this area as being a whole bunch of nothing on the way to Las Vegas, but there really is a lot to see out there if you slow down and take the time to smell (and look at) the flowers. Right now (mid-April) is about the best time to visit the area, due to the comfortable temperatures and the beauty of the new spring growth in the area, especially the wildflowers.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 15,658 times
Default Beryl-Modena, Southern Utah / Solar

We own 80 acres in the Modena/Beryl area of southern UTAH. Wind and solar would fair well out there, and the land is relatively inexpensive. There are are a few scattered farms in the area that grow mostly alfalfa.

seesync

Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 15,658 times
Oh yeah....nearby St. George, Utah gets an average of 300+ days of sunlight per year...

Old 04-29-2007, 03:03 PM

164 posts, read 845,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilios View Post
Anybody know where in U.S. there is cheap desert land with a lot of sun, that can be used for things like solar power research and development, with enough space for different solar array systems? Somewhere between 5 and 15 acres.
If I were you I would check out Douglas Az south of Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.