Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 12:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
The key for Florida--no pun intended--is to stay near the Atlantic when it comes to these brutal summers. Same for further up. But you still gotta deal with tropical storm threats. I'd go to visit fam but wouldn't want to live there long term.

The interior northeast, upper midwest and PNW in terms of weather owns everywhere else. "B-but the rain and gloom in the PNW LOLZ" I like the rain and drizzle. Just not the crazy t-storms that come along with it.
LOL weather is so subjective. I don't care for rain and drizzle - give me a big stupendous storm and then lots of big blue sky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 07:26 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
I lived in the South for career. My first HR job was in the Flint, MI area and when that division closed I was offered the opportunity to go to the Kentucky plant for a promotion. Long story short, I stayed at that plant 6 years until they moved that operation overseas too and kind of got stuck in the South an additional 2 years.

The ideas of "good climate" and "good weather" are very subjective. I found the South to be miserable with the long summers, heat and constant sunshine. There are a decent amount of people who find those things enjoyable though; go to any large city in the South and you will find a decent amount of transplants from up North.

I like cold, very snowy winters and short, mild summers. I like fall color and like spring to be on the chilly side and slowly warm up. I love cloudy weather and lots of rain. I'm happy where I am. My idea of other great climates are Caribou, ME; Newport, VT; Marquette, MI and Tupper Lake, NY. I'd move to Labrador, Canada if I got the chance

Old 08-27-2020, 12:14 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
We moved away from the Twin Cities in favor of Atlanta several years back, and we prefer the life down here, and certainly the weather. If we ever moved back (not currently in the plans), it would have nothing to do with the weather and everything to do with being close to family and childhood friends.
It is interesting that, even as an adult, you and your partner retain close friendships with your childhood friends. I assume that you and your partner lived in your hometown for a much longer amount of time than I did. Also, it is likely that your hometown is more economically vibrant than mine, which has allowed your friends and relatives to remain in the local area and blossom in their respective career fields.

Unfortunately, many of my childhood friends and even some of my family members no longer reside in Providence, Rhode Island, which is where I grew up. Of course, many of them live in nearby Boston or New York City, but still, almost none of them are living down the street or around the corner from my childhood home. The childhood friends of mine who are still living near my parents' home have largely stagnated in life due to addiction, divorce and underemployment among other reasons. In other words, they have morphed into people with whom you do not want to associate, assuming you are a normal, well-to-do person yourself.

Sadly, Rhode Island is a very economically depressed state and has been for at least four decades now; the state's economy never fully recovered from the departure of heavy manufacturing in the late 1970's and early 1980's. As a result, the prevailing assumption among bright, talented, upwardly mobile young adults is that, in order to be successful in your professional career and earn a decent income, you must relocate to a larger, economically healthier metropolitan area after graduating from college.

Personally, I never enjoyed the weather of Rhode Island/New England. When I lived there in the 1980's and 1990's, the cold season would begin around early October and last until late May. Thankfully, global warming has been just dandy for Rhode Island, so now the state is much sunnier and warmer than it was 30 years ago. In fact, as of 2020, Rhode Island is the fastest-warming state in the country. Regardless of the recent warm-up, though, Rhode Island still has absolutely terrible infrastructure, an incredibly high tax burden and one of the bleakest economies of any U.S. state, all of which has been more than enough to keep me away for 20 years and counting.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:34 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Childhood friends are great and special....I still have 8 very close friends that I keep in contact with, ranging from high school all the way back to nursery school. 3 remain in NY, where I grew up, and did fine; 3 in California (though 1 moved away a decade ago to Colorado) and 2 here in Florida--one of whom is a highly successful securities attorney in Palm Beach and Jupiter whom I first met at age 4 in nursery school. I am probably the only person in the world to this day allowed to call him his nickname of "Bubba" that I bestowed upon him when we were growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.