Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 02:25 PM

650 posts, read 867,608 times

Advertisements

What's different? Kinda hard to say.

Louisiana - has New Orleans, and Louisiana has a lot of Cajun type culture. I don't think it's your typical southern state, it's unique.

Georgia - oh man. It's very I guess redneck. Honey boo boo.

Alabama - beaches? I don't know, it has a pretty good hospital in Birmingham

Mississippi - I know Ole Miss in Oxford, I love that area. Plus there's beaches on the gulf coast (Gulfport). I'm not too sure about anything else. There's Hattiesburg and Jackson too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 03:14 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,325 times
The difference is in the traditional religious demographics of these states. Louisiana has been among the 10 U.S. states with the largest proportion of Catholics while Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi have been among the 10 U.S. states with the smallest proportion of Catholics. There you have it.

Last edited by Aceter; 10-04-2015 at 03:24 AM..

Old 10-04-2015, 05:13 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Stereotyping on stereotyping.

What kills me about these arguments is every time Georgia is compared to MS and AL some how posters try to detach Metro Atlanta as if that make sense.

The state is the population............ If 60% of Georgia staying in Metro Atlanta, you can't say with out Atlanta, cause then that would be saying Georgia with Georgia.

Georgia 10,097,343

Alabama 4,849,377

Louisiana 4,649,676

Mississippi 2,994,079

Also people are generalizing Georgia out side of Atlanta, And saying it's all like Alabama

Then outside of Atlanta Georgia has 4 smaller midsize metro Columbus, Macon, Augusta, Savanah. East Georgia Augusta and Savanah have more in common with the Carolinas then the other states. Only Macon and Columbus are culturally like Alabama.

http://www.ushistory.org/us/images/00046681.gif

Savannah

http://cdn.aarp.net/content/dam/trav...b.1400.720.jpg

http://momvoyage.hilton.com/wp-conte...-2-940x564.jpg

Which brings me to my next point Louisiana is known for it's French history, Creole and Cajun cultures.

These four states are in general are different.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yeaah..I don't get the I-20 one. That must be someone from up in north Louisiana because there's nothing above I-20.
LOL there's "something" above I-20 - lots of small towns. I guess all the fine folks living in Minden, Spring Hill, Providence, Sarepta (Trace Atkins' home town), Homer, Plain Dealing, and all those people living on the shores of beautiful Caddo Lake will be surprised to find out that they don't exist.

North Louisiana and south Louisiana cultures differ significantly but there's still plenty of southern culture (and great southern food and music and friendly people) throughout the state, including in north Louisiana.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:24 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post

Louisiana - has New Orleans, and Louisiana has a lot of Cajun type culture. I don't think it's your typical southern state, it's unique.

Mississippi - I know Ole Miss in Oxford, I love that area. Plus there's beaches on the gulf coast (Gulfport). I'm not too sure about anything else. There's Hattiesburg and Jackson too.
Are you a "shut in"??

Old 10-04-2015, 06:50 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post

Honey Boo Boo is the only thing you could come up with?!

Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I've lived in three of the four states in question - Alabama, Louisiana and Georgia. I've also spent a lot of time over the years in Mississippi, on vacation as well as just driving through it back and forth from Texas to Georgia. I really like all four states and they are similar in some ways but very different in others.

Georgia and Alabama have that unique touch of Appalachia to them in their northern regions. Georgia's history as one of the original 13 colonies left it's legacy on the state. Also, Georgia is the only one of these four states with an Atlantic coastline. Georgia doesn't "feel" like a Gulf Coast state - those states have a different vibe to them.

Georgia and Louisiana are the only two of the four states with a huge hub that's truly a melting pot of many international cultures. Though Mississippi and Alabama have some largish metro areas, there's no comparison between those metro areas and those of Atlanta and New Orleans - two cities which are VERY different but which are both international melting pots.

Mississippi is the state with the highest percentage of African Americans. Louisiana is close behind, with Georgia in third place and Alabama (surprisingly to me) in 6th place nationwide. African American culture has left it's distinctive mark on all of these states and is one reason why these states have a different vibe than states in other regions. But even the AA culture varies between these states. There is a big difference between the AA culture in Georgia (very influenced by the Atlanta metro) and Louisiana (very influenced by Creole/French/Caribbean culture) and Mississippi and Alabama (much more rural).

Overall, I think Alabama and Mississippi are the two states of the four with the most in common. Louisiana and Georgia are very different from each other as well as from Alabama and Mississippi.

I love all four states by the way. Love the weather, love the music, love the coastlines, love the history...and most of all, I love the people.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:43 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL there's "something" above I-20 - lots of small towns. I guess all the fine folks living in Minden, Spring Hill, Providence, Sarepta (Trace Atkins' home town), Homer, Plain Dealing, and all those people living on the shores of beautiful Caddo Lake will be surprised to find out that they don't exist.

North Louisiana and south Louisiana cultures differ significantly but there's still plenty of southern culture (and great southern food and music and friendly people) throughout the state, including in north Louisiana.
Forgive me. That was probably a few years ago and I don't even know what I meant.

Maybe I meant that there's not much left above I-20? Such as a significant culture charge, large population center, etc.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You are so off about the northern halves of these states, Georgia has 220 peaks over 4000 feet, last time I checked MS is flat as a pancake a few small hills and AL has very low ridges and can hardly be called mountains.
very impressive please excuse me I'm not trying to be rude you seem to know a lot more than what I'm reading what can you tell me about Alabama ?employment ?

Old 05-12-2018, 10:56 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
The problem with the question is that it is absolutely insane to compare the states with one another when they are, in truth, quite diverse within their own borders. I mean, in Georgia, Atlanta is completely different from Savannah, which has nothing in common with rural SW Georgia. In Alabama, I really defy you to put Birmingham and Huntsville in the same box as Mobile and Montgomery, and certainly not with places such as Gadsden or Selma. In Louisiana, you have New Orleans and you have places such as Shreveport.

In other words, utterly different cultures, economies, geographies, and societies within the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.