Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Education
Northeast 80 69.57%
Southeast 7 6.09%
West Coast 7 6.09%
Midwest 17 14.78%
Deep South 3 2.61%
Southwest 1 0.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:30 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times

Advertisements

I would say the Northeastern US with along with parts of the Midwest (mostly the Upper Midwest) generally speaking. That being said though even a few of those districts there are sub par.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,175 times
what are some of the factors that lead you to believe the Northeast home to the best education systems in the country?

Is it because this region generally values, invests, create competitive enviorments and rewards excellence for education the most?

Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 AM

7 posts, read 39,001 times
The upper Midwest has the best graduation rates of any region. Some people on here act like if you were born in the Northeast you already have a Doctorate or something

I was top of my class in a so called great suburban high school of Rochester NY. When I was at UT Austin for college I was barely in the upper half (for the first 2 years)

The point is that the supposed "Rhodes scholar" level of education I recieved in the mecca of education (the Northeast) was no better than many of the Texas high school kids.

There is more to good education systems than how much money is spent per student which is really how these things are measured

Last edited by onetimefresh; 05-12-2011 at 12:11 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
The K-12 system in the Southeast is probably the WORST in the country....not the best. I'm not sure where you came up with that notion.

I voted Northeast because of the public schools AND colleges. The Midwest is 2nd, but some Midwestern states fall behind in public schooling.
Not sure where you got that they are the worst either. The best way to answer the Posters question is to research individual systems rather than regions or states, California and New York have some of the very best and worst school systems

and the State of Florida had the most High schools on the top 100 High schools list. So if anything that contradicts your "WORST" Comment.

there is no standardized test across the country so there is no way to really tell.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimefresh View Post
The upper Midwest has the best graduation rates of any region. Some people on here act like if you were born in the Northeast you already have a Doctorate or something

I was top of my class in a so called great suburban high school of Rochester NY. When I was at UT Austin for college I was barely in the upper half (for the first 2 years)

The point is that the supposed "Rhodes scholar" level of education I recieved in the mecca of education (the Northeast) was no better than many of the Texas high school kids.

There is more to good education systems than how much money is spent per student which is really how these things are measured
UT Austin is huge and gets kids from all over. So, you have to factor in many things in comparison. I don't think people are saying it's simply about how much you spend on students, but many NE states rank high for graduation rates and other factors. Even in bad school districts, you can find your share of very good students too. For instance, I know that there are Syracuse City high school students that go on to Ivy League schools and the valedictorian of Nottingham High last year went to Brown. So, even in the lower performing schools in some cases, you can get a good education.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Not sure where you got that they are the worst either. The best way to answer the Posters question is to research individual systems rather than regions or states, California and New York have some of the very best and worst school systems

and the State of Florida had the most High schools on the top 100 High schools list. So if anything that contradicts your "WORST" Comment.

there is no standardized test across the country so there is no way to really tell.
Where did it say that FL had the most top 100 HS's?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Upper Midwest.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
From some of what I have seen coming out of California, Washinton and especially Oregon. I would say the West has some serious education issues. With Oregon it is definitely a serious lack of funding and interest in improving the poor educational system here. No wonder there is so much poverty, crime and unskilled people in this state.

My vote for the best region is the Northeastern USA. Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Conn. PA, some of New York State. These states have their educational problems like the rest of the country, but in comparison somewhat better overall.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 05-12-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

There is a standardized test called the SAT and ACT and that is a very good way to measure success across the board. Florida may have some top high schools in the top 100, but are they public or private? Florida has 25 million people too, so it ought to have SOME decent school somewhere!

I stick by my claim that the Southeast has the WORST schools in the country (public especially), based largely on the SAT.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Commonwealth Foundation - 2010 SAT Scores by State

Average SAT scores by state, 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.