Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:53 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times

Advertisements

The Adirondack and Catskill Parks are, for all intents and purposes, analogous to National Forests, except of course they are administered by NY State. New York simply got to them before the Federal government could get their grubby hands on them. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 01:35 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Let's not forget that there are Amish (and Mennonites) all over the place now - not just in Pennsylvania.
I could never forget that! X3

Thank God for the Mennonites. They run wonderful stores.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:18 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Interesting!

Is that 127 miles along southern Long Island or wrapped around it?
I believe Long Island is just under 120 miles long, measuring along the South Shore from Bay Ridge to Montauk. So if the Feds (NOAA) say that New York State has a ocean shoreline of 127 miles, I figure most of it is along the South Shore of Long Island. The additional mileage may possibly be along parts of Fishers, Gardiners, Plum and Staten Islands etc. Possibly also Orient Point on the North Fork.

Measuring a coastline is not exact and depends on what your defintion of a coastline is. It is possible that the New York ocean coastline is even longer than 127 miles. I say this because a quick glance at Wickapedia puts the Connecticut ocean shoreline at 96 miles, even though almost all of Connecticut's shoreline is on the Long Island Sound and not on the ocean.

Possibly if we counted the Long Island Sound shores in New York State (Long Island North Shore, Westchester County and New York City) as ocean shoreline the same way Connecticut does, then I believe we may have double the 127 ocean miles currently listed on Wickapedia.

Last edited by LINative; 05-21-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
National forest in NY state is the dominant land use in - 1 town in Schuyler County. Finger Lakes National Forest (and I remember when it was called "Hector Land Use Area" too ) STATE forests in NY are more than 100x larger, probably even occupying more of that county.

Although PA has the more significant Allegheny National Forest, the state forests there too are collectively much larger - the public lands of northern PA, rebranded by the last administration PA Wilds - Pennsylvania Wilds form a tract larger than the Catskill Park of NY, with a different history containing oil and coal as well as the newly available gas.
Both Pennsylvania and New York have protected huge areas of land for conversation or recreation. Alot of people know about the Adirondack and the Catskill parks, areas so large you can put several of the smaller states in. But as you mention, alot of people do not know about the state forests in Pennsylvania and New York, or about the state hunting areas in Pennsylvania or the Multy Use areas in New York.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:04 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
from my experience

the south philly accent = the brooklyn/queens accent

they sound exactly the same

outside philly, i don't see comparisons to nyc

northern PA = NY state

scranton reminds me of syracuse

Old 05-21-2011, 08:25 PM

152 posts, read 321,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I could never forget that! X3

Thank God for the Mennonites. They run wonderful stores.
Also don't forget the amish are operators of most puppy mills and are also big polluters. Although i don't think they intentionally do things, it's just a different mind set.

Amish Farmers Play a Large Role in Polluting the Chesapeake : Discovery News

Old 05-21-2011, 10:50 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
I'm sure I'll catch heat for this but in my mind:

-Southeast PA=NJ=downstate NY
-rest of PA=rest of NY

Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post

-rest of PA=rest of NY
Actually I agree wholly.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post

-rest of PA=rest of NY
Nothing wrong with this at all. Southeast PA lacks the Pine Barrens and the Jersey Shore/Long Island beaches. Rest of PA sort of lacks places of like the Thousand Islands. But overall , I agree with what you said.

Both PA and NY claim to have the Grand Canyons of the East or something like that.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
Not only does New York have a relatively long ocean coastline, but it must also have a large percentage of freshwater borders, too - Ontario and Erie, Lake Champlain, Niagara and St Lawrence Rivers, Delaware River...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.