Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times

Advertisements

Try looking at Philadelphia or one of the towns outside along the rail routes: Media, Swathmore, Doylestown. West Chester might be appealing as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 AM

157 posts, read 617,274 times
I third Providence for its pedestrian friendliness/density, arts/culture vibe, great food and scenery. Great universities like Brown, Johnson & Wales, Roger Williams, URI, RISD but not sure on public/private schools.

Boston is a great choice but pricey, not as much as the West coast...Portland, ME is also a great choice but much smaller city people wise than the other 2.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 AM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
Eugene, OR
Athens, GA
Chapel Hill-Carrboro, NC
Ann Arbor, MI
Ithaca, NY
Austin, TX
Bloomington, IN
Boulder, CO

All worth a look.

All are a bit more expensive than the median for their respective states, and that IS an issue in some of them (a rather vocifierous one in Chapel Hill - the local anarchists have whipped up some low grade class rage, and the LEED-certified condo project downtown is in financial trouble).

Most have reasonable weather - Ann Arbor and Ithaca might be the coldest, but there's far worse in both of those states, and you have 4 distinct seasons. Both NY and MI have gone through a lot in recent decades, but their business history, which does continue with big recent successes like Wegmans is nothing to sneeze at.

Very close to all of them either have a great deal of natural scenery in town, or within a few hours' drive. North Carolina - Triangle area specifically is very start-up-friendly, and you have the highest mountains east of the MS River, and the largest chunk of National Park Svc-protected beach within a few hours in 2 directions. Chapel Hill once drew international fame for it's indie-rock music scene; there's still a TON of that going on around here, along with a large, large visual arts and literary community. Hillsbororough - just west of Durham - has evolved into one of the largest writers' colonies in th Southeast. Chapel Hill and Carrboro have elected 2 out gay mayors (one of whom was re-elected 3 times), along with a few out city councillors, so they (along with Durham) are very freethinking communities in that regard. NC also elected an out lesbian state legislator from a heavily right-leaning coastal distirict, but she knew the district, and campaigned the old fashioned way - getting to know people, doing the work, emphasizing family roots in the area, and here spotless record on Wilmington's city council - so when it comes to those kinds of potentially divisive left/right issues, NC is much more of a place where it's all about the candidate, and his or her effectiveness. Smear tactic have a hisory of backfiring, at least during the last decade or so.

Athens GA I'm a tad less familiar with. An hour from Atlanta, so it's easy to connect to some A-list infrastructure. Summers are HOT. Local arts and music community is very much a part of the city city and the civic identity - Howrad Finster's sculputure gardens are still around somewhere, N Georgia foothills and mountains are an hour or so due north of town. Athens - 110,000 - is the largest city E of the Mississippi (I believe) NOT directly on an interstate, which to some degree holds off the encroaching cul-de-sacs of Atlanta (100 miles away) at bay. I85 bypasses the city by about 20 miles to the north; I 20 by the same distance to the south, and I always got the distinct impression that they like it that way; the N Georgian countryside, especially as one gets closer to the Appalachians - is beautiful, and much of the land between Athens city and I20 is national forest; lots of deep old growth, so it's very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.