Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:51 PM

589 posts, read 377,420 times

Advertisements

For most of the nation’s history, the Atlantic region — primarily New York City — has dominated the nation’s trade. In the last few decades of the 20th Century, the Pacific, led by Los Angeles and Long Beach, gained prominence. Now we may be about to see the ascendancy of a third coast: the Gulf, led primarily by Houston but including New Orleans and a host of smaller ports across the regions.

The Rise Of The Third Coast: The Gulf Region

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,903,332 times
Interesting read. Thanks for posting. I had heard about the widening of the Panama Canal, though I had not really given it much thought.

Things do look promising for the Gulf Coast for the short and medium terms, though I do worry a bit about long-term environmental consequences.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I do worry a bit about long-term environmental consequences.
I keep hearing that. What particularly are you concerned about???

The increase in industrialization, or the ship activity itself???

Old 06-24-2011, 04:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,356,715 times
Probably any more spills or the deterioration of the coast, mainly LA, I don't know if it's as dire in other states.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:38 AM

589 posts, read 377,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Interesting read. Thanks for posting. I had heard about the widening of the Panama Canal, though I had not really given it much thought.

Things do look promising for the Gulf Coast for the short and medium terms, though I do worry a bit about long-term environmental consequences.
Texas for example is the first exporter in the nation, this thing will improve that more, and Louisiana could have interesting gain too.It's great for jobs and investments.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Probably any more spills or the deterioration of the coast, mainly LA, I don't know if it's as dire in other states.
but the spills could come from any ship, and the expansion is strongly geared for Asian ships which are most likely carrying things other than oil.

So I dunno if I would be any more concerned with spills. The ones that are going in and out right now are the ones you should me MORE scared of

Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 AM

I'm only scared if LA doesn't respond with expanded ports and incentives.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm only scared if LA doesn't respond with expanded ports and incentives.
The ships don't want to go threw the Panama Canal because they are building it. No it is the other way around. They are building the Canal to allow more ships easy access to the interior of the country and the east.

Coming threw LA you have so much distance to travel to get to the rest of the US. Coming threw the Canal, and unloading at a Port such as Port of Houston you are centrally located and there is a good distribution system via highways and railroads.

look up how long it takes to get to 95% of the country from LA versus somewhere like Dallas or Chicago.

Last edited by JMT; 06-25-2011 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Removed offensive language

Old 06-25-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
expanded ports won't do **** if the ships are going elsewhere. The ships don't want to go threw the Panama Canal because they are building it. No it is the other way around. They are building the Canal to allow more ships easy access to the interior of the country and the east.

Coming threw LA you have so much distance to travel to get to the rest of the US. Coming threw the Canal, and unloading at a Port such as Port of Houston you are centrally located and there is a good distribution system via highways and railroads.

look up how long it takes to get to 95% of the country from LA versus somewhere like Dallas or Chicago.
Of course. Large ships, not the new ones, can travel a decent ways inland via the river before unloading cargo at places like Memphis. South LA has direct routes to Chicago, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, Jackson, Montgomery, Texas, Phoenix, St. Louis, etc. It's not that hard to many major cities from here. It's either a direct shot to places like Chicago, or nearly a direct shot to cities like Kansas City.
Rail is better set up with Houston and especially Dallas, but this is years in the future, when we could have set up incentives and things. Our port handles more cargo for a reason, but the Port of Houston is a huge competition.

Last edited by annie_himself; 06-25-2011 at 03:42 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 03:41 PM

330 posts, read 599,827 times
That all sounds great! Success in one area of the nation is good for all areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.