Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,914 times

Advertisements

Hello cd posters. In two days I am going on a sabbatical through the midwest and I would like to know what neighborhoods I should visit. Im already familiar with some of the cities but I think it would be wise of me to get the opinion of actual residents. So what I would like to know is which neighborhoods has the most hustle and bustle, abundance of retail, attractive architecture, and culturally/historically prominence. Note that I'm not only trying to see the touristy neighborhoods, but instead the spots where the locals hangout.

The cities I will visit.
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Detroit
Windsor
Ann Arbor
Chicago
Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Well, from the cities that I'm most familiar with:

Chicago
Lincoln Park
Lakeview
Old Town
Wicker Park/Bucktown
Lincoln Square
Andersonville

Cleveland
Tremont
Ohio City
Gordan Square
Little Italy
Lakewood
Cleveland Heights

Pittsburgh
South Side Flats/Carson Street
Shadyside
Bloomfield
Squirrel Hill
Oakland
North Side/Mexican War Streets

Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
For Detroit I would say

Midtown (in particular Woodbridge area)
Palmer Woods/Green Acres/Sherwood Forest/University District (a collection of middle to upper class neighborhoods that border each other)
Mexicantown/Southwest
Downtown
New Center
The Villages (Indian Village in particular)
Eastern Market
Corktow

Old 07-27-2011, 10:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
Hello cd posters. In two days I am going on a sabbatical through the midwest and I would like to know what neighborhoods I should visit. Im already familiar with some of the cities but I think it would be wise of me to get the opinion of actual residents. So what I would like to know is which neighborhoods has the most hustle and bustle, abundance of retail, attractive architecture, and culturally/historically prominence. Note that I'm not only trying to see the touristy neighborhoods, but instead the spots where the locals hangout.

The cities I will visit.
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Detroit
Windsor
Ann Arbor
Chicago
Milwaukee
Pittsburgh: Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, Oakland (basically a collge town within the city), Bloomfield, maybe Lawrenceville, Strip District, South Side Flats (though it turns into a fairly raucous party zone at night), Mexican War Streets

Chicago: Streeterville, Gold Coast, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lakeview (note: these all form a continuum from downtown up the lake shore along the north side); Bucktown, Wicker Park, Andersonville, Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, Hyde Park/Kenwood, Bridgeport, Beverly

Milwaukee: Old Third Ward, Riverwest

Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
For Ann Arbor, pretty much Downtown and around U of M. If you go to East Lansing, check out M.A.C. and Grand River Ave. Perhaps Royal Oak and Ferndale outside of Detroit.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 AM

6 posts, read 22,866 times
Milwaukee: Besides the 3rd Ward and Riverwest (I agree!), you should absolutely check out the main part of downtown by the lake. Wauwatosa has a great, youthful vibe and a great downtown area as well.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:30 AM

87 posts, read 192,637 times
Windsor? Just drive to Toronto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.