Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 AM

573 posts, read 2,059,453 times

Advertisements

Can somebody really say that they are from a specific state when they were only born there and moved at a very early age to another state? Too many times, I hear people say they are from New York in the state I'm currently living in which is GA. The person was only born there and moved before the age of 2 and lived in GA. I mean, what kind of memories would a child have of New York at that age. Even during elementary years, like 3rd grade and they move to another state and are now in their 20's, why must they continue to associate themselves with that other state when they are not even of that culture? Is it because they think it sounds cool to say they are from New York? There is nothing New York in their veins about them. They don't even have the accent, don't practice the culture, they are not of New York.

What is your opinion of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 AM

801 posts, read 1,514,555 times
I have thought about this is in the past. This is a confusing topic for me. The person is, technically, from NY but moved to GA at a young age. So I just don't know where they would be from.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:37 AM

3,579 posts, read 3,081,454 times
When most people say where they are "from" they generally seem refer to the place they lived while in high school. I have heard people say they are "from" Texas but were born in Oklahoma, for example. Where you are "from" tends to be the place which you most identify with, and people tend to develop their tastes in music/styles/attitude etc while in their teenage years.

The example you gave is likely because that person did not identify themselves with their place of residence while a teenager, and felt like an outsider. Bob Dylan used to say he was born in Duluth but was "from" New Mexico (which was untrue) because he identified himself more with NM than MN.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
When most people say where they are "from" they generally seem refer to the place they lived while in high school. I have heard people say they are "from" Texas but were born in Oklahoma, for example. Where you are "from" tends to be the place which you most identify with, and people tend to develop their tastes in music/styles/attitude etc while in their teenage years.

The example you gave is likely because that person did not identify themselves with their place of residence while a teenager, and felt like an outsider. Bob Dylan used to say he was born in Duluth but was "from" New Mexico (which was untrue) because he identified himself more with NM than MN.
>>>>>
When most people say where they are "from" they generally seem refer to the place they lived while in high school. I have heard people say they are "from" Texas but were born in Oklahoma, for example.
<<<<<

A true Okie would never make such a statement. Someone truly "raised" or reared in Oklahoma would claim Oklahoma 100% of the time no matter if they moved to Dallas, LA, or New York City. Too much state pride for someone reject OK later on unless they've bought into the perception of the backwater/redneck stuff.

Born there, From there. Period.

The exception being if someone moved in early childhood and really has no memories/attachment to their place of birth.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
For me, the default answer is wherever you lived and spent the majority of your childhood and teenage years growing up. If there is no such place, then you're probably not from any one place in particular.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:00 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
For me, the default answer is wherever you lived and spent the majority of your childhood and teenage years growing up. If there is no such place, then you're probably not from any one place in particular.
It's the same with me. I was born in New York, lived there until I was 15. Lived on and off in Virginia for that entire time and have sufficient memories of both places. Parent's moved to Florida when I was 15 and I moved back to New York when I turned 18.

If I was going by the high school rule, I would say I'm from Florida because I finished high school there. But I am NOT from Florida.

I generally just say I'm from NY. It makes life a lot easier. I wonder how miltiary kids decide where they are from if they moved around a lot.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:41 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Most people I meet tend to differentiate between where they might have been born and spent very early years of their life and where they were primarily raised, if they happen to be two different places. But I've heard as much about folks from NY as the OP alluded to, lol.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:44 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,656 times
Practically the whole issue of this month's Our Iowa magazine is devoted to this topic!

The editor took the point of view that if someone is born in a place, they are "natives" of that place (since that's what the word "native" means). So Iowa can claim Johnny Carson who was born in Iowa, even though he grew up in Nebraska.

One article writer even took the point of view that if someone was conceived in a place they could be considered to be "natives of" that place, since the writer believes life begins at conception.

My personal point of view is = Who Cares? If someone wants to say they're from a place, more power to them!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:11 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,565,836 times
I think what state people call their "home state" reflects what's in their heart. It's the state that they feel the biggest personal attachment to.
This must be the reason that Illinois uses "Land of Lincoln" as their state motto, even though Lincoln was actually born in Kentucky. The years Lincoln spent living in Illinois were apparently more memorable to ol' Abe than the brief period he lived in Kentucky as a child.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:39 PM

63 posts, read 81,793 times
To be "from" a place, in my opinion, you have to have some sort of memory of it at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.