Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 07:09 AM

102 posts, read 189,648 times

Advertisements

The title says it all. This question is open to all cities. What have you overheard...from tourists, visting relatives, business associates, etc. My experience is this one..recently in Chicago there was a younger guy in line at a very popular Chicago tourist attraction downtown. He was on his cell to a friend from Chicago, letting the friend know he was in town from New York for a few days. I obviously could make out the conversation:
Tourist: yes its nice here, your city is beautiful. So clean, and laid back. There are flowers everywhere! .............when am I moving here? Its pretty but you can tell we are still in the Midwest buddy (laughs) The people here seem sour. I was expecting friendly"

Ouch. I know...who really cares what tourists think..blah blah. Another time we were taking an Amtrak back from Tejas,and as we pulled into Chicago from the south, I heard some lady with a east coast accent (maybe Providence) exclaim loudly.."this is disgusting, it looks like they got bombed in a war!"

Last edited by dosequis man; 09-15-2011 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
A few years ago I was on a flight from San Francisco to Sydney. A vacation of a lifetime I really looked forward to. I had a window seat and the two young late 20's hipster type people next to me, went on an on and on about how wonderful and hip Portland is. How much better it and the population is than any place in America. How much better it is because everyone is so young, hip, political and that pot is easy to get. That it could be even better if the older crowd would all pack up and leave. I really had to bite my tongue because I live here, and I was having a terrible time liking Portland to begin with. I had lived here about a year at the time. These type people that are a big part of the population here were the main reason for my dislike of Portland. I find them very unfriendly and very disrespectful and rude to people.They really are a big percentage of the residents in the Central city area. The type that will blow Pot in your face because they know it bothers you and I have met that type here. . I thought of all the people on this plane I have to get stuck sitting next to Portland hipsters. Yuck.

I decided no way in hell I am sitting here for 15 hours, on a nonstop flight that cost almost $2000 listening to these two jerks. About 1 hour into the flight I was able to get another seat and enjoyed the remainder of this very long flight. Had a wonderful 3 week trip in Australia and in 6 months I will be leaving Portland never to see it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.