Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:01 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times

Advertisements

With the abysmal economy and people frustrated and confused and the increasing police state that this country is turning into and seeing what has been happening in other parts of the world, I wouldn't be surprised if massive riots were to occur in major cities within the next few years. Call me a pessimist, but when people are desperate and in dire straits, civility tends to break down.

To me, it's a tossup between Atlanta, Miami, or Chicago.

Atlanta has had so many changes and seems to have stagnated from it's post-Olympic boom a few years back. High foreclosure rates, no job growth, tons of broke transplants who can't afford to move back to the Northeast or Midwest, lots of low-income people on government assistance spread throughout the area, racial tension (White people in Georgia seem to be VERY resentful of the area's popularity with Blacks), etc.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 01:55 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,137 times
What kind of riot are we talking about? Vancouver had one in June after losing the Stanley Cup Finals. Sports-related riots tend to spiral out of control as the mob mentality takes effect. Philadelphia had one a few years ago after the Phillies won the World Series. Columbus too after some big Ohio State games.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Funny you should ask... I JUST had a conversation with my cousin YESTERDAY about this same question...

I feel like there IS a riot coming soon... I'm guessing it will be somewhere that's suffering economically AND with high racial tension. I agree that Atlanta's on edge... Like a boiling over pot

I'm thinking:

Atlanta, New Orleans, Tucson or Detroit

Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Wait until the the World Series is over.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:08 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Funny you should ask... I JUST had a conversation with my cousin YESTERDAY about this same question...

I feel like there IS a riot coming soon... I'm guessing it will be somewhere that's suffering economically AND with high racial tension. I agree that Atlanta's on edge... Like a boiling over pot

I'm thinking:

Atlanta, New Orleans, Tucson or Detroit
Why Tuscon??

I disagree with your choices because cities that have emptied out where the more desparate people packed up and left and moved somewhere else.

If history tells us anything, it is those cities that had a very rapid growth rate that led to overcrowding is when you have riots. Detroit in 67, LA in 65 and 91, etc.

That does not describe Detroit or New Orleans today. They are not overcrowded the way they used to be for various reasons.

I think it is those cities where one huge chunk of the city is absolutely great, and the other geographic half is a cesspool. Where the vastly improved parts of town ignore the other half, and where the struggling half is enivous of the nice, well off part of town.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Why Tuscon??

I disagree with your choices because cities that have emptied out where the more desparate people packed up and left and moved somewhere else.

If history tells us anything, it is those cities that had a very rapid growth rate that led to overcrowding is when you have riots. Detroit in 67, LA in 65 and 91, etc.

That does not describe Detroit or New Orleans today. They are not overcrowded the way they used to be for various reasons.

I think it is those cities where one huge chunk of the city is absolutely great, and the other geographic half is a cesspool. Where the vastly improved parts of town ignore the other half, and where the struggling half is enivous of the nice, well off part of town.
Hence my reason for bringing up Chicago.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Well? Where is it that you're describing?

I just felt like things were really getting bad in Tucson. Maybe I was thinking along the lines of a "Immigration Activists/Rights fueled riot" But then again, Arizona IS NOT THE STATE TO act up in!!! That state will have EVERY SINGLE Rioter wearing pink behind bars in a heartbeat! People just move away instead of stir trouble or fight there...

I see your point. Good point, but you didn't give any examples/choices.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Well? Where is it that you're describing?

I just felt like things were really getting bad in Tucson. Maybe I was thinking along the lines of a "Immigration Activists/Rights fueled riot" But then again, Arizona IS NOT THE STATE TO act up in!!! That state will have EVERY SINGLE Rioter wearing pink behind bars in a heartbeat! People just move away instead of stir trouble or fight there...

I see your point. Good point, but you didn't give any examples/choices.
After reading several of your posts, I believe you have a twisted view of Arizona despite claims of (snowbirding?) in Scottsdale. I know several people who seem to hide away in that pretentious haven of Scottsdale. You mentioned in another post that you were surprised to find out that Phoenix has a height restriction due to its proximity to Sky Harbor. I thought this was news to most people in the valley. You then made a statement about downtown Phoenix and the fact that it should be more than just the little "Arizona Center", when in fact, Arizona Center hasn't been the focus of downtown PHX in years. Furthermore, you are now stating that you felt things were really getting bad in Tucson. What exactly gave you that impression? Up until a 1.5 years ago, I lived in Tucson (since late '92) and I can tell you that there is no "racial tension" the way that you describe there.

I won't even comment on the rest of your "perceptions".

Old 10-13-2011, 03:14 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,899,663 times
I don't really anticipate any large riots in the US, but if there was something, I believe it would likely be in either Washington, DC or New York. Those are the places where many people think the economic and political power are concentrated. If they want to take out their frustrations, those seem like likely targets (such as if the Occupy Wall Street movement gets out of hand).

Old 10-13-2011, 04:02 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I don't really anticipate any large riots in the US, but if there was something, I believe it would likely be in either Washington, DC or New York. Those are the places where many people think the economic and political power are concentrated. If they want to take out their frustrations, those seem like likely targets (such as if the Occupy Wall Street movement gets out of hand).
I disagree, especially since the Occupy movement has gone out of it's way to show and promote non-violence. I think violence/riots are more likely in cities where the economy has been bad for awhile and where there is little or no support for those who feel disenfranchised by "the system". In my mind Miami is one of those places with 11% unemployment, long-existing racial tensions and a very visible divide between the haves and have-nots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.