Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Nah, it won't happen anytime soon. It feels even less like Mexico than it does America. There's even a word for the culture: Tejano.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Tejano would be correct and I think that's how alot of the Texan-Mexicans would describe themselves. They've been on the land for generations before Texas became a state and then were influenced by the Texicans who settled there. Texicans, btw, is what the early Texans called themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 AM

84 posts, read 86,958 times
Waffle Houses! You know you have reached the south when you see one of them every two miles. I don't know how they all stay in buiness. You think they would canabalize each other.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Quote:
Thanks for the history lesson too!
You are welcome Tallylady. You won't find that information in any book on the Civil War or West Virginia history, except for Richard Curry's "A House Divided", and J.G. Randall's "The Civil War and Reconstruction". Even James McPherson doesn't get it right.

Anyway, here's another chain restaurant you might not be familair with, they stretch from the Virginias, Kentucky to the Carolinas. When I used to visit my dad we would always stop to get my granny her sausage biscuit. Although people make fun of the WV diet, my granny made it to 96 that way, and I still have my other granny, also 96. Unfortunately, tobacco got both of my parents, they should still have been around if not for that.

http:Tudor's Biscuit World Franchising - Menu Items

I know they serve grits though its not on the menu I linked. Their biscuits really are good.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:49 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarshield View Post
Waffle Houses! You know you have reached the south when you see one of them every two miles. I don't know how they all stay in buiness. You think they would canabalize each other.
Excellent answer, LS! I know that there are Waffle Houses in non-Southern states (Ohio, Indiana, Arizona, etc), but, as you said, the concentration of them is likely one of many good indicators of how "Southern" a place is.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:28 PM

63 posts, read 259,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Excellent answer, LS! I know that there are Waffle Houses in non-Southern states (Ohio, Indiana, Arizona, etc), but, as you said, the concentration of them is likely one of many good indicators of how "Southern" a place is.
Here's something funny from the Onion:

July 6, 2005

Mason-Dixon Line renamed IHOP-Waffle House Line

Just a Photoshopped photo, thought it was funny

Old 09-21-2007, 06:10 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinBalt View Post

July 6, 2005

KEWL! I wonder where that was taken? My experience in Texas is that they tend to be more concentrated (expectedly) in the eastern half of the state.

In fact, I am going to do a little research on this, so far as "concentration" per capita goes. Gimme a bit of time! LOL

Old 09-21-2007, 08:36 PM

63 posts, read 259,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
KEWL! I wonder where that was taken? My experience in Texas is that they tend to be more concentrated (expectedly) in the eastern half of the state.

In fact, I am going to do a little research on this, so far as "concentration" per capita goes. Gimme a bit of time! LOL
Oh but I don't think it's real, dude. The Onion makes up funny news items and includes doctored pictures. It would be funny if they had that, I'd get a kick out of seeing a real one

Old 09-22-2007, 02:12 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinBalt View Post

July 6, 2005

It doesn't make any sense at all to name the Mason-Dixon the IHOP-Waffle House Line. It may have been a good term at one time, but not the case at all today. Waffle Houses and IHOPS go well above the Mason-Dixon line in Missouri, Indiana, and Ohio. In Ohio they are found in Cleveland and Toledo. St. Louis, Indianapolis, Kansas City, and Columbus all have a bunch of IHOPS and Waffle Houses to my knowledge. I propose naming the Mason-Dixon line the "tobacco line" hehehe....tobacco doesn't grow north of the Mason-Dixon. Let's rename the Mason-Dixon the corn-cotton/tobacco line or sometime of crop line.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:25 AM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Quote:
I propose naming the Mason-Dixon line the "tobacco line" hehehe....tobacco doesn't grow north of the Mason-Dixon. Let's rename the Mason-Dixon the corn-cotton/tobacco line or sometime of crop line.
A better indicator might be the KUDZU line. (esp since tobacco is disappearing as a crop) and nothing seems to KILL Kudzu. I've noticed on my trips up and down I75, the line seems to be just below Lexington, KY. Liz

Old 09-22-2007, 05:54 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
A better indicator might be the KUDZU line. (esp since tobacco is disappearing as a crop) and nothing seems to KILL Kudzu. I've noticed on my trips up and down I75, the line seems to be just below Lexington, KY. Liz
If you are referring to that huge vine that is growing over the trees that is here too. You can find it going south on Dixie hwy (31w)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.