Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokegirl View Post
I just want 4 seasons, an apartment in a safe neighborhood, and no more than an hour commute each way to work. I don't care about cost of coffee, clothes, etc. That stuff is going to be the same whereever you go, give or take a buck. The bulk of most everyone's take-home pay is the mortagage (or in my case, the rent).
What kind of work are you looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
I just want 4 seasons, an apartment in a safe neighborhood, and no more than an hour commute each way to work. I don't care about cost of coffee, clothes, etc. That stuff is going to be the same whereever you go, give or take a buck. The bulk of most everyone's take-home pay is the mortagage (or in my case, the rent).

Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio all are cold midwest places with a change of season and extremely low cost of living. Jobs are not the best there, but if you can find a job you will be able to live on the wage. Homes can be bought for under 50k, and they are often nice places. 100k buys a genuinely nice home and even acerage in some cases. If you want a change of seasons but not as extreme winter, choose Indiana or Ohio. Michigan and Wisconsin are the real deal with four seasons and winter. All of these states are greatly underated, as living in them is very easy if you have employment. 10 dollars an hour in some small town in Michigan is much much easier to live off of than triple that in Boston or LA. That being said there are probably factory workers and wal-mart employees living much better in the midwest than are some college educated professional types in the northeast. I know people who have mortgage payments of 200 dollars a month, and im sure no one in Boston can say that. Oh and we dont have all that traffic and insanity to deal with either.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio all are cold midwest places with a change of season and extremely low cost of living. Jobs are not the best there, but if you can find a job you will be able to live on the wage. Homes can be bought for under 50k, and they are often nice places. 100k buys a genuinely nice home and even acerage in some cases. If you want a change of seasons but not as extreme winter, choose Indiana or Ohio. Michigan and Wisconsin are the real deal with four seasons and winter. All of these states are greatly underated, as living in them is very easy if you have employment. 10 dollars an hour in some small town in Michigan is much much easier to live off of than triple that in Boston or LA. That being said there are probably factory workers and wal-mart employees living much better in the midwest than are some college educated professional types in the northeast. I know people who have mortgage payments of 200 dollars a month, and im sure no one in Boston can say that. Oh and we dont have all that traffic and insanity to deal with either.
Same with much of Upstate NY and PA.

Here's a good website for jobs in Upstate NY: Central New York Jobs

and good websites for apartments: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - -

MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Old 02-03-2012, 05:45 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Then check out where I live, Knoxville. For starters, the cost of living is much lower here, and Tennessee has very low taxes--47th in the country for over all tax burden; NY is 2nd, WI is 4th. Texas is also low, 45th in tax burden. New Hampshire also has low taxes (44th), if you want to stay up north.

The Tax Foundation - Map: State-Local Tax Burdens and Ranks by State, 2009

Jobs are more plentiful here than most places (5.9% unemployment rate), and we have four very distinct, very beautiful seasons without having to shovel snow. And for those hot summer days, we can cool off in the highest mountains in the eastern US, right at our back door (Great Smoky Mountains).

Wages are lower, of course, but unlike many places, cheap housing here doesn't mean living in a ghetto.

But back to the premise of this thread, I agree with you that the ratio of wages vs. cost of living isn't the same everywhere. I wanted to move to Salt Lake City a few years ago but was shocked at how expensive housing was out there even though salaries in my field (education) are about the same as they are here. So I'm still in Knoxville where one can own a clean home in a safe, convenient neighborhood for less than $500/month (all taxes included).

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 AM

Just to give an idea of how affordable Upstate NY can be, here are some homes(with taxes included): Nothnagle.com - Property Search Results

Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
Quote:
My friend says any place that has lower than average rents are going to have lower than average pay and any city that has high pay is going to have high rents.

I have not travelled much, but I don't think that is true. I think some cities have low wages combined with high rents (such as Fla), and others have lower rents combined with fairly high wages (such as Texas).

Your thoughts?
I, too have been looking for a place outside of Florida that has decent wages, lower cost of living, lower rent, four seasons, better living conditions, etc. The one town/city that stands out (for me) so far is Grand Rapids, Mi (particularly Heritage Hill). This town scores high on the "walk score" which in my opinion cuts the expense of gas and car maintenance, may have employment opportunities within walking distance and does not rely on "Big Box" stores for sustainability. I am a renter like yourself and cannot afford (nor do I want) to purchase a home.

I am determined NOT to spend another summer in Florida!!!

Do you have the money to relocate? Have you been looking for employment in the cities you are interested in?

Best of luck in your search!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.