Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times

Advertisements

Anyone in Middle America who hasn't been to any of the big cities on the West or East Coasts? Gulf coast doesn't count.

If so- in this context, is Chicago or Dallas or Atlanta or Phoenix the "biggest" cities you're acquainted with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 AM

302 posts, read 769,087 times
I've never been to either of the coasts, or outside of the Midwest (aside from Canada). Entirely for financial reasons (the lack of). Chicago is the largest city I've been to.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 AM

45 posts, read 103,302 times
Winnipeg Milwaukee St Louis Kansas City Minneapolis Denver and Chicago would be the limit of my travels. Chicago and the Twin Cities being the largest of the metro's Ive seen.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Yes, I've been to both coasts. Have you been to the Midwest...other than to an airport?

Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Anyone in Middle America who hasn't been to any of the big cities on the West or East Coasts? Gulf coast doesn't count.

If so- in this context, is Chicago or Dallas or Atlanta or Phoenix the "biggest" cities you're acquainted with?
Considering Chicago is the third largest city in the US I would think those who have been there have been to a larger city than MOST of the cities on either coast. Kind of a lame thread and question.

Oh yeah, to answer your question, yes I have been to both coasts, both of the larger cities and a LOT of smaller cities than Chicago on the coasts. Little places like San Diego, San Fransisco, Boston, Miami; you know, all the ones smaller than Chicago.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Yes, I've been to both coasts. Have you been to the Midwest...other than to an airport?
That question is, perhaps, more interesting.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times
Been to the Pacific Northwest (Portland to Seattle), continuing from there down the entire California coast (San Francisco-LA-San Diego), parts of the Mexican coast, and the Atlantic coast.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:21 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
I've been to both coasts many many times. I'm trying to think of anyone I know who hasn't been but at least of everyone in Chicago they've all been by the time they were out of college. Looking back at my family/friends in Iowa I believe my youngest cousin has never been to the coasts. I don't even think he's really left the Midwest, he's a bit of an oddball to say the least though.

One thing living in the Midwest does maybe more than other regions is it prompts its residents to travel quite a bit. I would say a fairly vast majority of people get out and travel the country. Also helps that you have the options of going west, east or south without traveling TOO far unless it's to the west coast. I can hop a plane and be in New Orleans, DC, NYC, etc. within 2 hours or so for the most part. I would think people in the Midwest have been to coasts, etc. much more than coastal people have visited the Midwest. Especially from some of the ideas that people seem to have of the region. Everyone thinks is all farmers and then Detroit and that it snows in September.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
I have lived in the Midwest my entire life and I have been to LA, Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Wilmington, Rehoboth Beach, Baltimore, DC, Hampton Roads, Savannah, and Jacksonville.

I have also been to Tampa, New Orleans, Grand Marais, Duluth, Milwaukee, Chicago, Michigan City, Muskegon, Sandusky, Cleveland, and Rochester (and Toronto), all of which are coastal port cities, even if they aren't all saltwater coasts.

And let's go ahead and add Dublin, London, Amsterdam, Cape Town, Storms River, Port Elizabeth, East London, and Durban.

I'm much more interested in how many lifelong New Yorkers or Californians have been to Minneapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Louisville. I would bet money the percentage of Midwesterners who have been to a coast is higher than the percentage of East and West Coasters who have been to the Midwest.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I'm much more interested in how many lifelong New Yorkers or Californians have been to Minneapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Louisville. I would bet money the percentage of Midwesterners who have been to a coast is higher than the percentage of East and West Coasters who have been to the Midwest.
I lived in CA until age 23, and prior to that I had only been to Minneapolis, and that was only for an emergency landing.

I added Kansas City a few years ago (post-CA). When I'm in rural Nebraska or Kansas, or in places like Racine, WI, I feel VERY REMOVED from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.