Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
How is anywhere in TX temperate? Then parts of the App mtns are "hot and humid". I don't think this map is very accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
In my opinion, on the map, the southern Appalachians and Smokies should be shaded in dark green as "cool and humid" much more so than NJ and MD. There are actually Ski resorts in NC and TN.

The collegiate-and artistic-town of Boone, NC is about as cold and snowy as anywhere in the South (considerably more than Asheville). And anywhere right along the actual VA- WV border where the Allegheny mountains are quite high and high snowfall common (more so than in the milder Shenandoah Valley). The town/county of Monterey, VA is known as the Switzerland of America.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
Which of them is the least humid overall?

None, next question.....

Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Nashville isn't particularly cool. It's not as hot or humid as the Deep South...but it gets pretty damn hot and humid here.

And the elevation varies from about 400-1,100 ft in the city...hilly, but not really enough to have a big effect on temperature.
This is something that always blows my mind. To me, Nashville is unbearably hot and humid, and to think that the deep south is even worse is something I have trouble wrapping my head around.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
If you really, really want to experience US humidity try:

1) Louisiana...particularly New Orleans and the surrounding parishes....you can see the buildings sweat...same with Houston, Port Arthur Beaumont, Lake Charles, Pascagoula Miss....Mobile, Tallahassee....basically, anything on the Gulf....very hot, very sticky...same goes for Savannah, Hilton Head, Beaufort, Brunswick, Jacksonville......

Those southern climes are very, very humid. Go inland into Florida and you have literally arrived in Hell...Sebring Florida, Everglades City, Orlando, you can cut the air with a knife....same with Memphis and cities on the Mississippi river......

Mississippi and Louisiana probably take the cake though......

Moving North into those states and it's an entirely different climate. Altanta, for example, is in a valley below the foothills of the Appalachean trail. The climate in the Northern end of Georgia is entirely diffent than that of the Southern part of the state...night and day...don't get me wrong, Atlanta can be humid but, it pales in comparison to say, Waycross on a July night....drip drip drip......egads....can dehumidify enough....

The cities like Huntsville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville SC, and Raleigh are not as bad as the deeeeeeeep South to which you infer....they just get that reputation.......it's simply not as bad as one might think.....it also gets considerably colder in this area in the winter than those areas further South.....

All in all, it may be humid but, overall it's a nice place to live. We don't have to "unearth" our cars in winter and a light coat is usually all you need. Couldn't pay me enough to have to live up North again....yuk.....I'll take all the humidity the South wants to dish out not to go through that again!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
This is something that always blows my mind. To me, Nashville is unbearably hot and humid, and to think that the deep south is even worse is something I have trouble wrapping my head around.
Well, truth be told, I don't think the peak heat/humidity is that much different...it just lasts longer in the Deep South.

Unbearably hot/cold varies by the individual. I knew a kid from South Florida that was shivering when the temp dropped below 75.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Well, truth be told, I don't think the peak heat/humidity is that much different...it just lasts longer in the Deep South.

Unbearably hot/cold varies by the individual. I knew a kid from South Florida that was shivering when the temp dropped below 75.
Absolutely. I'm likely to sweat at 75 degrees (well, in TN, not so much here), and my dad can go for a bike ride when the heat index is well over 100 and only sweat moderately. I'm actually jealous of him for that.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
And its probably the opposite for me. I grew up and lived most of my life in southern and northern Alabama. To me Nashville is a little cooler. Now on the flip side I can say Savannah, GA and New Orleans, LA are definitely hotter and more humid than where I come from.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:15 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
That map is severely flawed if it puts North Georgia and northeast Alabama in the "hot and humid category", while North Carolina is considered "temperate". North Georgia, north of Atlanta, is actually slightly cooler than much of North Carolina. The same goes for northeast Alabama. This is because of the elevation.

It looks like someone made the map in ms paint based upon what they thought.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:20 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
If you really, really want to experience US humidity try:

1) Louisiana...particularly New Orleans and the surrounding parishes....you can see the buildings sweat...same with Houston, Port Arthur Beaumont, Lake Charles, Pascagoula Miss....Mobile, Tallahassee....basically, anything on the Gulf....very hot, very sticky...same goes for Savannah, Hilton Head, Beaufort, Brunswick, Jacksonville......

Those southern climes are very, very humid. Go inland into Florida and you have literally arrived in Hell...Sebring Florida, Everglades City, Orlando, you can cut the air with a knife....same with Memphis and cities on the Mississippi river......

Mississippi and Louisiana probably take the cake though......

Moving North into those states and it's an entirely different climate. Altanta, for example, is in a valley below the foothills of the Appalachean trail. The climate in the Northern end of Georgia is entirely diffent than that of the Southern part of the state...night and day...don't get me wrong, Atlanta can be humid but, it pales in comparison to say, Waycross on a July night....drip drip drip......egads....can dehumidify enough....

The cities like Huntsville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville SC, and Raleigh are not as bad as the deeeeeeeep South to which you infer....they just get that reputation.......it's simply not as bad as one might think.....it also gets considerably colder in this area in the winter than those areas further South.....

All in all, it may be humid but, overall it's a nice place to live. We don't have to "unearth" our cars in winter and a light coat is usually all you need. Couldn't pay me enough to have to live up North again....yuk.....I'll take all the humidity the South wants to dish out not to go through that again!
You're correct in your temperature-humidity analysis. Good Job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.