Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,751 times

Advertisements

Are these common throughout the U.S.? Here in Chicago, they're a popular summer activity. How they work here is that a block is closed off to traffic with "horses". Then the people who live on that block set up tables, grills, coolers, chairs, etc. in front of their houses. They typically invite close friends and family. Depending on the budget, some block parties have DJ's, live bands, etc. The Chicago Police will make an appearance (if invited) and bring mounted officers so the kids can pet the horses. The Fire Dept will come by too if invited. They are planned months in advance and usually everyone on the block is responsible for helping to organize it and kick in some money for entertainment. People hang out, mingle, walk up and down the block, drinking beers and eating grilled meats with sides like potato salad, baked beans, cole slaw, etc. I love block parties! My husband who grew up in suburban Chicago had never been to one until he was an adult, married to me and living in the city. That made me wonder if these are a Chicago tradition or perhaps an urban tradition practiced in other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 12:03 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
St. Louis I bet would have something sorta like this...just minus all the cops, firemen, etc. We have a lot of activities and fairs in the city around this time of year in which big arts fairs are set up along with barbecue, beer, hot dogs, grilled stuff, etc...the neighborhood i grew up in threw regular parties like the ones you speak of, we just didn't invite officers or firemen to them. My old neighborhood was and still is a private one. Probably among the wealthiest ones in the St. Louis metro area.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
Trenton, New Jersey has them, as do some of the surrounding suburbs. I personally have never been to one although they sound like a lot of fun.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:43 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
I've been to several block parties over the years, in the city and the burbs. The tavern owner down the street just threw one on our block a month ago.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:24 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
we have 'em - they are fun!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:10 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
We have them every summer in St. Paul. On our block we coincide with National Night Out. The cops always come and give little presents to the kids like plastic badges, etc.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
The Scranton city proper has a lot of annual block parties, but most of its suburbs are too sterile and standoff-ish to even consider them. One exception would be a member who just moved to the inner suburb of Dunmore, PA and is thrilled to already have been invited to an upcoming block party in her neighborhood. I believe my subdivision tried one several years back and it was a bit of a flop.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:49 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,219 times
Hampton VA has them and they are pretty fun....lots of beer flowing!! LOL Funny watching all the cops there too...things werent like that up north. The cops were there but never in the numbers they are in the south.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:21 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
Hampton VA has them and they are pretty fun....lots of beer flowing!! LOL Funny watching all the cops there too...things werent like that up north. The cops were there but never in the numbers they are in the south.
I'm not sure I understand - do you mean cops as in party participants or cops as in "police presence" to keep the order?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.