Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:42 PM

375 posts, read 800,627 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering if this has happened in other states at certain points of time. I know Colorado is in the news because of this. Also in my home state of Nebraska, the western panhandle wanted to join Wyoming in the 80's. I've also heard of Long Island wanting to be a state, and that parts of Oregon and California wanted to join and form a new state. Are there any other movements though? Like do people in Eastern Washington and Oregon want to form their own state or join Idaho? do people in West Texas feel Austin doesn't represent them well and could run their own state? Please tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
There are a couple guys from Central Maryland trying to get Western Maryland to split away. I don't know if their plan is for an independent state or to join up with WVA or PA.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Each state if they wanted to could try and succeed from the U.S but it will never happen. The only state that could ever change is Texas. Not by suceeding from the U.S (Texas gave up it's independence in order to become a state), but by splitting up into 5 different states.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
That North Colorado secession movement is just a fart in the wind, they're certainly not the only state battling a rural minority vs metro majority. The state that surprises me for keeping it together for so many years is California.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:14 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
That North Colorado secession movement is just a fart in the wind, they're certainly not the only state battling a rural minority vs metro majority. The state that surprises me for keeping it together for so many years is California.
That's the old fashioned commitment we're know for. The monogomous, moral backbone of America.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
There is no secession movement. There is no way in hell that county is going to get out of Colorado or be recognized for statehood. This is standard Libertarian/TeaParty nutcase talk. It's just not going to happen, there or anywhere else.

I think the closest it has ever come was when Key West declared itself the Repulblic of Conch, with the police on the causeway decided to cut off and detain the entire population without probable cause one Sunday.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
I am just wondering if this has happened in other states at certain points of time.
To my knowledge, nearly every state in the U.S. has had a "secessionist" movement at some time or other.

Don't hold your breath for any of them ever succeeding in your lifetime.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:57 PM

375 posts, read 800,627 times
I know none of them would ever be successful in forming their own state. However, why don't the folks in north colorado consider joining Wyoming or Nebraska. We'd be glad to take them

Old 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
I know none of them would ever be successful in forming their own state. However, why don't the folks in north colorado consider joining Wyoming or Nebraska. We'd be glad to take them
Because then Colorado would no longer be a rectangle, and that is the most important and serious matter at hand here. I'm sure Rand McNally would lobby against it, reshaping that perfect rectangle would be just devastating.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:47 PM

603 posts, read 932,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Because then Colorado would no longer be a rectangle, and that is the most important and serious matter at hand here. I'm sure Rand McNally would lobby against it, reshaping that perfect rectangle would be just devastating.
Maybe then the Nebraska and Wyoming border could just extend south, with the eastern part of Colorado added to Nebraska and Kansas. That would give Colorado a unique squarish shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.