Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,385 times

Advertisements

Very interesting article. The murder stat improvement is obvious, but some of the others are at least mildly surprising.

Morals: Our great moral decline | The Economist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i will try to remember that every time i hear the reports on knockout king and gooning.
we have a wealth of crime that occurs here that goes unreported. in fact for my area 22% of calls result in a writeup compared to LA which has a 66% writeup. as to K12 here-- so much dirt is swept under the carpet, looks like an asian camel.
the government tweaks the stats.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i will try to remember that every time i hear the reports on knockout king and gooning.
we have a wealth of crime that occurs here that goes unreported. in fact for my area 22% of calls result in a writeup compared to LA which has a 66% writeup. as to K12 here-- so much dirt is swept under the carpet, looks like an asian camel.
the government tweaks the stats.
I think they tweak the stats as well.... I have met nobody personally, anywhere in this country that thinks crime is down in their area.... and I meet lots of people

Old 03-08-2012, 01:13 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
I think they tweak the stats as well.... I have met nobody personally, anywhere in this country that thinks crime is down in their area.... and I meet lots of people
The fact is it is down. I am sure your intensive research on the opinion's of people you know is very accurate, and could be published in the economist, I will stick to actual statistics.

The media just becomes more sensationalist and you become older.

You can dismiss as the, "government tweaks the stats," but it is not like independent organizations dont look into these things. The economist does this exact thing, and loves to make articles about how crime is up when people are saying it is down.

I think this article nails the issue on the head. America is no less moral than it was 50 years ago. Instead some people are bitter that their own moral values have fallen out of favor.

However, the morality of politicians has definitely decreased. They have sold this country out to a small elite.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Morality in the United States has gotten better in some ways and worse in others. We're not nearly as racist as we used to be, and we've become more sensitive and charitable as well. On the other hand, we've also become more sexually perverted, wasteful and gluttonous than we used to be, and less socially graceful too.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
And you discuss crime stats with each of them?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM

350 posts, read 740,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Morality in the United States has gotten better in some ways and worse in others. We're not nearly as racist as we used to be, and we've become more sensitive and charitable as well. On the other hand, we've also become more sexually perverted, wasteful and gluttonous than we used to be, and less socially graceful too.
What about morale? I misread this to be the headline. I would imagine morale is at an all time low.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I disagree. People are just as sexually perverted as they used to be. People are just more honest and open about it. Morality dictated it was wrong at one point so people were silent and repressed about it, but we have since moved on.

Gluttonous isn't about morality, but our society. The suburban commuter lifestyle, the shift to white collar jobs, the decrease in food prices, the media, and the food industry are responsible for increased obesity. It is happening across the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.