Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 31,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I think it just depends on the map writer and what the map is for. I think perhaps that it is a matter of convenience in dealing with areas. I have seen Kentucky placed in the NE once when the country was only divided four ways! It just depends.
Anyone can look at VA and KY and see that they're clearly not in the Northeast just geographically alone. I often wondered how they wind up there- but I guess some people don't know what to do with the Upper South states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 68,878 times
Default Palmettos or "Cabbage Palms" are native to North Carolina

The Cabbage palm or "palmetto" isnative to the southern North Carolina coast. I have witnessed them growing wild along the southern Cape Fear River and Smith Island has a vibrant native population. Sabal minor are native throughout the region as well, and grow wild as farth north as the banks of the Pungo River in Beaufort County, NC. No imported soil is necessarry to transplant Cabbage Palms along the North Carolina coast. They grow in a variety of soils and thrive on the southern barrier isles such as Topsail.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
because Kentucky was a border state during the Civil War, a lot of people like to think that that means Kentucky isn't Southern. Same with West Virginia. I've even seen some that include Kentucky but not Virginia. Kentucky, because it's northern and western and even some of its eastern borders are comprised of Midwestern states, and because of its touching the Mason-Dixon and its role during the Civil War, is often considered not Southern by many. It's because of them being relatively geographically central that this happens. Border states during the Civil War headed in different directions after the war. Kentucky and West Virginia IMO joined the South while Missouri joined the Midwest and Maryland and Delaware the Northeast (later further subdivided into Mid-Atlantic and Northeast). Virginia because of its being relatively geographically central as well as one of the last states to secede during the Civil WAr, and because of its touching the capital, people consider it sometimes not to be Southern. As far as I'm concerned, Kentucky and Virginia have always been Southern states and always will be.
West Virginia as a state did not join regionally with the South. The southern part of the state could go with the South now. But the middle of West Virginia is transitional or half/half. While north central and above as well as the eastern panhandle have pretty much headed North!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 AM

151 posts, read 739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I think its the East Coast Factor. That would explain why KY is included in the Southeast maps, but sometimes VA is left out (when they are about the same in latitude)

VA is on the East Coast.

I've heard South Carolina called Mid-Atlantic. I guess maybe the North is moving South?
To me, that it being on a coast would only mean its more Southern because there is a coastal plain before where most of Southern agriculture takes place, just drive on the US 460 from Petersburg to Suffolk. Also, when many people in the Midwest (where there is no coast) think of the South, they usually ignore most of the culture and think "WARM SUNNY BEACHES!!!".

Old 05-14-2008, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 10,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Even stranger, some parts of Kentucky are further south than virginia and virginia's northernmost point is north of Kentucky's northernmost. So when I see people try and claim Kentucky is the North while Virginia is the south i need only point to a map to make people realize how flawed that thinking is. Besides, I have many friends at the university I attend that are from Kentucky...they are all "avowed" Southerners
This is a very biased conversation. I was born and raised in Brandenburg, KY and I know people from Southern KY who talk with a completely southern accent. I also know people from Northern KY who talk perfectly normal. It just depends on how you were raised. In my opinion, cut KY in half, and the northern part is apart of the north and the southern part is apart of the south.
P.S how many "Southern States" do you know that get 1 foot of snow?

Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispateinbr View Post
This is a very biased conversation. I was born and raised in Brandenburg, KY and I know people from Southern KY who talk with a completely southern accent. I also know people from Northern KY who talk perfectly normal. It just depends on how you were raised. In my opinion, cut KY in half, and the northern part is apart of the north and the southern part is apart of the south.
Excuse me? People who speak with a Southern accent don't "talk perfectly normal"??

Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Excuse me? People who speak with a Southern accent don't "talk perfectly normal"??
Southern accents ARE perfectly normal

Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispateinbr View Post
So where would you place Brandenburg? Not everyone in the South talks with a Southern drawl anymore either. I was watching MTV's "I am a true Southern Belle" and the girls in it had barely an accent and they were mainly from Mississippi. Practice and Pray | Video | True Life | Full Episode | 'I'm a Southern Belle' | Three girls come of age in the south | MTV

By the way, how often do WE get a foot of snow? Once every 15 years?

Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
I'm fairly sure that the same could be said for VA, although I've never lived there.
I live in Northern Virginia, Salvadoran accents are more common here than southern ones. We're walking distance to Washington, DC.

There are a few people here and there with traditional southern accents, especially a lot of cops for some reason. Also have a lot of roads here named after Confederate leaders - Jefferson Davis Highway, Lee Highway, Lee-Jackson Highway. Also don't have to travel far to feel like you're in the south.

Also, Kentucky was part of Virginia until 1792. Southern border of both pretty much tracks 36'30 latitude.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:20 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Geography, history and maps be damned; culturally, both states are as southern as Pecan Pralines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.