Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Yonkers, an urban suburb of NYC, has a significant and active Ukrainian(-American) population.

I enjoyed going to the Yonkers Ukrainian Festival as a youth.

Yonkers also has a Ukrainian Soccer team called Krylati that plays other ethnic teams in Yonkers and Westchester.

And there is a Ukrainian Youth Club (http://www.cym.org/us/yonkers/news/calendar.asp - broken link) in Yonkers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Cortland, NY unlike some of the smaller Upstate industrial towns did not historically have Ukrainians dating from Ellis Island days (one story went that they were shipped to Binghamton during the Palmer Red Raids), but much more recently has become home to a community of Ukrainian Pentecostals.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:11 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Auburn, a smaller city about 25 miles west of Syracuse, has a Ukrainian National Club on that city's NW side. Many are concentrated on Syracuse's West Side and Western suburbs.
Here is a Ukrainian Catholic School across from the Ukrainian National Club in Auburn: Welcome - Ss. Peter and Paul School Some towns outside of Auburn like Throop, Sennett and Owasco were noted in that ancestry list.

Yes, Syracuse has a long history of Ukrainians. Communities in the town of Geddes(Westvale and including the village of Solvay) and into the town of Camillus has some.

Here's a cultural school on Syracuse's West Side too: Lesia Ukrainka School It is ironically located on Tipperary Hill, a mostly or highly Irish American neighborhood that has a noticeable Ukrainian presence.

Richfield Springs and Deerfield in the Utica-Rome metro area and Elmira Heights in the Elmira metro were also on that list.

You may be interested in this too: schools

Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 PM

64 posts, read 165,320 times
Wow! I never realized upstate New York cities had such large Ukrainian populations.

I have a few relatives who live in Brooklyn and Long Island, NY. I got the impression that a lot of ex-Soviet Union people lived around that area. However, it somehow didn't occur to me to inquire about other parts of the state.

Thanks ckhthankgod for the list of schools. It's nice to see the words "Lesia Ukrainka" and "school" together somewhere in the United States. I vaguely remember my parents taking me to a Ukrainian Saturday school here in Los Angeles when I was little. I wonder if it's the same one that was on that list.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
The Chicago Area.
Cool. What's that like?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
The Chicago Area.
Ukrainian Village, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/1279.html

Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Minneapolis has a Ukrainian cultural center, a Ukrainian youth club and even a Ukrainian credit union. Northeast Minneapolis (pronounced "Nordeast" by the old-timer ethnic folks there) has 2 Ukrainian Catholic Churches. Also, I remember traveling to Thunder Bay, Ontario several years ago and finding myself in a Ukrainian neighborhood.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 PM

Cool, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Minneapolis has a Ukrainian cultural center, a Ukrainian youth club and even a Ukrainian credit union. Northeast Minneapolis (pronounced "Nordeast" by the old-timer ethnic folks there) has 2 Ukrainian Catholic Churches. Also, I remember traveling to Thunder Bay, Ontario several years ago and finding myself in a Ukrainian neighborhood.
That's interesting... I thought most people in Minneapolis were of Scandinavian decent. Do you know what neighborhoods those places are in? Are they all in the Northeast somewhere?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 AM

399 posts, read 820,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Robot View Post
Cool web site. I was surprised to see West Hollywood as one of the cities with a large Ukrainian population. I've been there many times, but I'd say most of the people I've met were mostly Russian or Armenian. What I would like to find is more of a dense Ukrainian community.

I've actually heard a lot about Canada having a large population. Do you know where I can find more specific information about that? Like what exact cities have the largest diasporas? What are those communities like? Are there any particular places of interest worth visiting there as a tourist?

I've never been to Canada so I can't give you specific informations but if you look at the wikipedia page for Ukrainian Canadian, you'll find a lot of informations.

The metropolitan regions with the largest Ukrainian populations in Canada are:

- Edmonton: 144,620
- Toronto: 122,510
- Winnipeg: 110,335
- Vancouver: 81,725
- Calgary: 76,240

For small communities by percentage is:

- Vegreville, Alberta (41%)
- St. Paul, Alberta (town) (31%)
- St. Paul County, Alberta (26%)

I'm really surprised by their presence in western Canada, they're the fourth or fifth largest ancestry behind English, German and Scottish.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I've never been to Canada so I can't give you specific informations but if you look at the wikipedia page for Ukrainian Canadian, you'll find a lot of informations.

The metropolitan regions with the largest Ukrainian populations in Canada are:

- Edmonton: 144,620
- Toronto: 122,510
- Winnipeg: 110,335
- Vancouver: 81,725
- Calgary: 76,240

For small communities by percentage is:

- Vegreville, Alberta (41%)
- St. Paul, Alberta (town) (31%)
- St. Paul County, Alberta (26%)

I'm really surprised by their presence in western Canada, they're the fourth or fifth largest ancestry behind English, German and Scottish.
Nice link. I've never been to Canada either (not counting the times I've changed planes at the airport), but I've always heard about there being a big population. I'm pretty surprised by it myself.

I'm thinking of starting a separate thread in the Canada forum. Any additional information on the topic is still welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.