Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:33 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times

Advertisements

Would you rather deal with really hot and humid summers (Texas or Louisiana), or really cold winters (Minnesota or the Dakotas)?

I've gone back and forth on this issue, but since I've moved to Texas, I've determined that I'd much rather deal with cold winters. Even walking to your car from the grocery store in this 95 degree humid heat leaves you feeling drained.

When I lived in Iowa, I used to work on my car in negative degree weather. As long as you bundled up, you were okay. No way I'd be able to work on my car in this Texas heat.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:54 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Plenty of mechanics work in DFW - year round.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:02 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
I've lived in the Upper Midwest and DFW. Both climate extremes suck. Denver is perfect in that regard. Not as frigid as Wisconsin, and not as hellishly hot as the Metroplex.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Plenty of mechanics work in DFW - year round.
Inside a garage with a fan though. I don't have that luxury LOL

I'm waiting until September to change my oil.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:18 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Would you rather deal with really hot and humid summers (Texas or Louisiana), or really cold winters (Minnesota or the Dakotas)?

I've gone back and forth on this issue, but since I've moved to Texas, I've determined that I'd much rather deal with cold winters. Even walking to your car from the grocery store in this 95 degree humid heat leaves you feeling drained.

When I lived in Iowa, I used to work on my car in negative degree weather. As long as you bundled up, you were okay. No way I'd be able to work on my car in this Texas heat.
I prefer hot summers. When the air hurts my face and stiffens my joints, it is time to consider a new location.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:46 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times
Definitely cold. I actually enjoy cold weather and love snow. I hate hot weather, especially hot and humid! It's been very hot in Albuquerque the last two weeks and it is raining right now, so I'm not looking forward to the sticky conditions tonight after the rain stops. I love rain, but I hate the hot and humid after effects of it in very hot weather like we've been having. Thankfully it's gonna cool down to the high 80s and low 90s for the foreseeable future instead of the high 90s and triple digits of late (we reached up to 101 on Tuesday and 103 last Sunday). On these very hot days I have my thermostat set at 69 degrees and it actually gets chilly inside, but that's how I like it. Today it's only supposed to get up to 91 and I'll be able to get some relief from my high electricity bill going forward when it returns to the more reasonable summer temps and I can raise my thermostat to 72 degrees without fear of it being uncomfortable when the AC cycles off.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:18 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
I'm like a wasp, I hibernate when its cold and when it heats up I get energized and fly around looking for someone to sting.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:23 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
I prefer cold as heat is more often accompanied by sunlight, which negatively impacts my skin (I'm not allergic but I get itchy quickly and break out). I don't find either one more comfortabpe, otherwise. Well, that's between really hot and really cold. If you throw in humid to one side, I much prefer the other. Humidity just makes me feel sticky.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:24 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Definitely the cold because in turn, we get nice, temperate weather for roughly 7-8 months of the year.

It has been unseasonably hot here in Michigan recently and I absolutely hate that feeling of being perpetually sticky and sweaty when I'm outdoors and then the sun feels so hot in combination with it. I can handle it for a handful of days each year, but to have it last for months like it does in places like Florida and Louisiana would try my patience in a big way.

I'm also much more active in the winter months, ironically. Being bathed in sweat while going for a walk is not for me, so I work out indoors during the hottest summer days, but even indoors with the air conditioning on I feel clammy and sticky even when I'm only exercising moderately, which doesn't happen in the winter time.

To each their own, obviously there are a lot of people who prefer hot weather, and good for them. They can live there, and I'll live here.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I prefer cold as heat is more often accompanied by sunlight, which negatively impacts my skin (I'm not allergic but I get itchy quickly and break out). I don't find either one more comfortabpe, otherwise. Well, that's between really hot and really cold. If you throw in humid to one side, I much prefer the other. Humidity just makes me feel sticky.
Almost forgot about that. I'm very pale skinned and if I'm out in the Texas sun for any longer than 15 minutes, I start getting sun burned. I hate sunscreen because of the way it makes my skin feel. I just avoid the sun during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.