Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times

Advertisements

I'm a automotive technician and I will be moving later this year from Windsor CT.

Which city and states have the best economy for automotive guys like myself, in repair, tuning etc. etc.

I was thinking of moving to Houston texas because I like hot weather, alot of noise (City life) and the cost of Living is much cheaper but I have to get my priorities in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Would go wherever is highest concentration of new AMGs, Ferraris, Porsches used as daily commuter cars: PaloAlto/SF or BevHills region arguably lead the world

In either of these regions, most of these cars esp 65s or any F12s or GT2s are driven for a yr or two before traded in for whatever is latest/greatest, sort of like an iPhone/iPad

Any ambitious auto tech would want to be wherever is deep money with lots of wealthy car nuts who get latest 65 much like latest iWhatever....and where one may want to eventually own a dealer, etc....realistically, aftermkt tuning, etc is irrelevant in places where guys just lease latest 65 or F12 for 1-2yrs before moving on to next iteration (and 65s are incredibly reliable so may only visit dealer for an oil change/new rear tires before trade-in)...want factory warranty and would trust factory engineers/R&D over any one-off aftermkt shop w/lim expce on any of latest tech cars...not unlike how one just trades-in obsolete iPhone/iPad for next iteration and notion of repair/tuning shops is silly stuff for Luddites...

Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Would go wherever is highest concentration of new AMGs, Ferraris, Porsches used as daily commuter cars: PaloAlto/SF or BevHills region arguably lead the world

In either of these regions, most of these cars esp 65s or any F12s or GT2s are driven for a yr or two before traded in for whatever is latest/greatest, sort of like an iPhone/iPad

Any ambitious auto tech would want to be wherever is deep money with lots of wealthy car nuts who get latest 65 much like latest iWhatever....and where one may want to eventually own a dealer, etc....realistically, aftermkt tuning, etc is irrelevant in places where guys just lease latest 65 or F12 for 1-2yrs before moving on to next iteration (and 65s are incredibly reliable so may only visit dealer for an oil change/new rear tires before trade-in)...want factory warranty and would trust factory engineers/R&D over any one-off aftermkt shop w/lim expce on any of latest tech cars...not unlike how one just trades-in obsolete iPhone/iPad for next iteration and notion of repair/tuning shops is silly stuff for Luddites...
Beverly Hills hmmm I don't have special training for those vehicles and besides I'm only a c level technician I wouldn't be able to make enough.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,098 times
I think texas is good choice, lots of overheated autos down there . did you try kellys blue book for more info on best areas for this type o f work? Official Kelley Blue Book New & Used Car Values - Kelley Blue Book

Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig45 View Post
I think texas is good choice, lots of overheated autos down there . did you try kellys blue book for more info on best areas for this type o f work? Official Kelley Blue Book New & Used Car Values - Kelley Blue Book
Thanks Ill check it out.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,013 times
Texas indeed has a great reputation regarding autos. i've met people who really visits there to have their cars repaired. as a technician looking for a great opportunity in this field of business, maybe you should also try their [URL=http://www.automd.com/shops/]local auto repair shops[/URL]. see it for yourself so you could have a lot of choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.