Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
FM signals follow line-of-sight, and do not reflect off the ionosphere. So curvature of the earth impedes the signals from going further than that. On fairly level ground, that means about 75-100 miles from a standard height tower to a receive on the ground. FM frequencies are in the band between TV VHF channels 6 and 7, so distance of propagation would be about the same. When you drive your car into a steep valley, you will often lose your signal, because you are out of line of sight. Tall urban buildings can have the same effect, cutting out weak signals in large cities. In the mountains, signals will never make it over the pass, no matter how close it is.

However, they are subject to "skip" in certain weather conditions, and occasionally, you can pick up a station over 1.000 miles away, whose signal is bouncing off an atmospheric interface, something like the mirage of the highway that follows a line of sight reflecting off hot air above the road. This usually occurs on hot summer days. I was once driving in western South Dakota, and picked up dozens of stations in the Carolinas, because there just happened to be a heat inversion between those two points to reflect the signal.
That sounds like ionospheric (sporadic E or "Es") and not tropospheric ducting. Tropospheric ducting is somewhat rare in western South Dakota due to the aridity of the climate, but Es is common throughout the U.S. in May, June, and July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,522 times
FM signals don't seem to travel too far but ...
AM that's a different story.

From Toronto (even sometimes Montreal) at night I would dial in
WMAQ from Chicago, they must have a really powerful transmitter.
Also from Montreal I would also listen to NYC and New Jersey AM talk radio stations
(again, I could only get at night).

Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,287 times
Here in Charleston, SC, the FM stations vary. The weaker ones normally come in for around 30-40 miles of the metro, while the stronger FMs (most of which with 100,000 watts) can be heard at least 80 miles even on a normal day.

The stronger Charleston FMs can be heard as far as the Myrtle Beach area with a good antenna. Any skip brings the signals into NC.

They can be heard as far south as Hilton Head, and some can be heard nearly to Columbia. Much of their signal is put out over the ocean, so it would go out even farther otherwise.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:34 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,821 times
About 10-12 years ago, we were driving down I-95 through Harve de Grace, MD in the middle of the night (3AMish?) and picked up 1010AM from New York City. It must've been a fluke because we tried again on subsequent trips with no avail.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
I live on the east side of Athens, GA these days, and I'm about as far east as you can get clear radio signals from Atlanta on a normal day.

Atlanta area*

I-75 NB: Calhoun, GA
I-575 NB: Jasper, GA
U.S. 19 NB: Dahlonega, GA
I-985/U.S. 23 NB: Lula, GA
I-85 NB: Commerce, GA
U.S. 29 NB: Athens, GA
U.S. 78 EB: Athens, GA
U.S. 278 EB: Lake Oconee
I-20 EB: Lake Oconee
U.S. 23 SB: Lake Juliette
I-75 SB: Forsyth, GA
U.S. 19 SB: Thomaston, GA
I-185 SB: Pine Mountain, GA
I-85 SB: LaGrange, GA
I-20 WB: Heflin, AL
U.S. 78 WB: Heflin, AL
U.S. 278 WB: Alabama state line

Pittsburgh area*

I-79 NB: Grove City, PA
U.S. 119 NB: Indiana, PA
U.S. 422 EB: Indiana, PA
U.S. 22 EB: Blairsville, PA
U.S. 30 EB: Ligonier, PA
I-70/I-76 (Pennsylvania Turnpike) EB: Donegal, PA
U.S. 119 SB: Uniontown, PA
U.S. 40 EB: Uniontown, PA
I-79 SB: West Virginia state line
I-70 WB: Wheeling, WV
U.S. 22 WB: Steubenville, OH
U.S. 30 WB: East Liverpool, OH
I-76 (Pennsylvania Turnpike) WB: Ohio state line
I-376 WB: New Castle, PA

*: Assuming normal conditions and maximum permissible transmitter power.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:21 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,904 times
Southern California: LA stations are pretty much heard until you get past Valencia in the north. Around Dana Point/SJC area is where they begin to fade in the South, but once you get to Oceanside you'll hear San Diego stations.

Portland: About halfway to the coast in the west they will begin to fade, around Longview in the North, and the stations may change when you hit Salem in the South.

Houston: I've heard Houston stations as far out as Galveston and Bolivar, around where they fade is uncertain, but I do know they fade before you get to Beaumont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.