Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:23 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Minnesota and Wisconsin are considered twins by many people

MN has less people, higher GDP, MN has one large metro area, WI has several small ones, MN usually has less crime, MN has a lower obesity rate, MN has light rail and commuter rail, WI only has buses. WI has more tourist, and is less isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 02:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
The Carolina's are twins. Fraternal Twins I would say....

Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Default Just to note...

Greetings y'all...

There have been quite a few good and informative posts presented here so far as "Twin States" go. But I do just want to mention again that part of the reason for starting this thread was not so much as to come up with the said generally perceived "twin states"....but to note the reasons why common perceptions might not be so obvious as appears at first consideration.

That is, to take the example of Mississippi and Alabama. To many non-residents of those states, they just seem to go in a natural tandem. BUT...residents (or familiar visitors or transplants) of/to each of them can likely come up with reasons why they aren't. I hope that makes sense.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:44 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Greetings y'all...

There have been quite a few good and informative posts presented here so far as "Twin States" go. But I do just want to mention again that part of the reason for starting this thread was not so much as to come up with the said generally perceived "twin states"....but to note the reasons why common perceptions might not be so obvious as appears at first consideration.

That is, to take the example of Mississippi and Alabama. To many non-residents of those states, they just seem to go in a natural tandem. BUT...residents (or familiar visitors or transplants) of/to each of them can likely come up with reasons why they aren't. I hope that makes sense.
Arizona and New Mexico, near identical geography and geology, "Western" culture, alongside a huge hispanic and native heritage.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Arizona and New Mexico, near identical geography and geology, "Western" culture, alongside a huge hispanic and native heritage.
So in the spirit of this thread's purpose, what are some differences that might cause one to question their "twinhood"?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:23 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,738 times
VT/NH- Historically Vermont has been politically more liberal while New Hampshire has prided itself on conservatism, however that difference seems to be shrinking. The tax structure is different in both states- higher property tax in NH, but no state income tax. VT has fewer urban areas, in fact its the most rural state in the nation as measured by % of population living in urban vs rural enironments.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So in the spirit of this thread's purpose, what are some differences that might cause one to question their "twinhood"?
There are twice as many people in the Phoenix Metro, as in the whole state of New Mexico. So Arizona people are 2/3 big city people, while all of New Mexico is country people. The states may have been twins in Jurassic times, but they are not twins by today's cultural standards.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
States were divided because they were too big to be single states, which needed to be more compact than sprawling amorphous "terra incognita" territories.. The dividing lines were put where they were in order to assure that both states would have attributes that would foster successful statehood, such as relevant population centers and arable land. It would have made no sense to divide the territory into East Dakota, which had an agrarian population base, and West Dakota, which was little more than Badlands. At the time, they neither knew nor cared about oil.

It's a shame that so many Americans are so ignorant of the Dakotas. Everyone should resolve to take their next vacation trip to the Dakotas and discover this well-kept secret.
I understand why they were divided the way they are. I just find the differences and the "rivalry" between East and West humorous (I even find myself looking down my nose at "East River" and I'm not even a native. LOL) Clueless people who think both states are all the same have a lot to learn.

I agree with your last statements. I chose to move to Western SD and I LOVE it here. I haven't seen the whole state yet, but there are lots of beautiful areas. There are several places in North Dakota that are on my list to visit, as well.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Contrary to the OP's list, I pair up:

CO-NM (the vertically aligned region of the Mountain states takes precedence, plus the NM culture extends north into CO, not west into AZ)
AZ-CA (The links between the major cities of SoCA and AZ are well established and they both lie in the lower, hotter deserts)
WY-MT (Northern Mt. state provices vs. the southern of CO and NM)

Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
To someone not from the Pacific Northwest, Washington and Oregon are perceived as very similar. Seattle and Portland are also perceived as similar cities.
Seattle and Portland are night and day. A picture of the respective skylines alone screams the differences between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.