Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is just crazy. I knew there was alot of corruption in Louisiana, but stuffing money in the freezer? I could only imagine that happening outside of the USA.

It doesn't surprise me that a member of the KKK was running for governor.

The police are known for being incompetent and brutal. That I do know. My mother has told me about this. My father, a Milwaukee native no less, has mentioned that the New Orleans police are the most corrupt. This is coming from someone born and raised in Milwaukee, a city with police brutality issues. The corruption, brutality, and incompetence of the New Orleans PD might explain why New Orleans has such a high murder rate. New Orleans has been a violent city for a long time. Many residents don't trust the police, therefore many won't talk to the police. Sloppy police work is another factor. This has allowed for such high murder rates.
The Bill Jefferson money in the freezer thing was in 2005. I think he received the longest prison sentence ever hand down to a congressman. Some members of his family were even arrested, they were politicians as well.

The Police have gotten a lot better since the 1990's. In the mid-90's is when the one cop hired a hitman to kill a woman who filed a complaint on his for brutality (as mentioned earlier but I dont think she was a prostitute). The cop was also running a drug racket. Then also in that time period there was a cop who robbed a restaurant (she also worked there as a security guard) and she and an accomplice murdered three people during that robbery. One of the victims was a fellow officer and he worked there as a security guard as well. I think she is on death row now. Even in the 1890's the police were corrupt and a police chief was even murdered because one Italian gang was mad that the chief had partnered with a rival group. In the late 1990's/early 2000's the murder rate went way down with a new police chief but then rose again slightly. But even today New Orleans' crime rate today is way less than it was in the 1990's. Then there also was all that drama about what some officers did during the chaos of hurricane Katrina. Also now the feds are coming to try to reform the police department. But of course the topic of this thread is most corrupt state, not city. Governor/Senator Huey P. Long was very corrupt in the 1920's and 1930's. Governor Edwin Edwards was also very corrupt as well but was still elected for 4 terms and he just got out of jail a few years ago. A lot of this stuff happened 15+ years ago, but I don’t think presently that Louisiana as a whole is too bad except for a scandal every now and then (but of course just yesterday the former Jefferson Parish President plead gulity to corruption charges).

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 09-26-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Illinois in a landslide. How many former Governors of theirs are currently in jail?

Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
The Jefferson thing was in 2005. I think he received the longest prison sentence ever hand down to a congressman. Some members of his family were even arrested, they were politicians as well.

The Police have gotten a lot better since the 1990's. In the mid-90's is when the one cop hired a hitman to kill a woman who filed a complaint on his for brutality (as mentioned earlier but I dont think she was a prostitute). The cop was also running a drug racket. Then also in that time period there was a cop who robbed a restaurant (she also worked there as a security guard) and she and an accomplice murdered three people during that robbery. One of the victims was a fellow officer and he worked there as a security guard as well. I think she is on death row now. Even in the 1890's the police were corrupt and a police chief was even murdered because one Italian gang was mad that the chief had partnered with a rival group. In the late 1990's/early 2000's the murder rate went way down with a new police chief but then rose again slightly. But even today New Orleans' crime rate today is way less than it was in the 1990's. Then there also was all that drama about what some officers did during the chaos of hurricane Katrina. Also now the feds are coming to try to reform the police department. But of course the topic of this thread is most corrupt state, not city. Governor/Senator Huey P. Long was very corrupt in the 1920's and 1930's. Governor Edwin Edwards was also very corrupt as well but was still elected for 4 terms and he just got out of jail a few years ago. A lot of this stuff happened 15+ years ago, but I don’t think presently that Louisiana as a whole is too bad except for a scandal every now and then (but of course just yesterday the former Jefferson Parish President plead gulity to corruption charges).
It makes me wonder why so many people put up with it.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It makes me wonder why so many people put up with it.
Well this stuff happens in a lot of states (maybe except for the extra murderous police, lol). Plus the perpatrators get arrested and/or new people are elected. But sometimes the politicians are well liked and people still want them in office. I like to think that they all (politicans and the police) still do a lot more good than bad and dont let a few bad apples ruin the bunch. Also like I said things seem/are much better today.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Despite the bankruptcy, California is not as corrupt as you think. It's actually one of the least corrupt states in the nation.

Grading the nation: How accountable is your state? | The Center for Public Integrity

According the article, the most corrupt states are Michigan, North Dakota, South Carolina, Virginia, Maine, Wyoming, South Dakota, and Georgia by receiving an F.
I don't get why California is on the top of the list either.

I don't think California's governance problems are a result of corruption as much as straight up incompetence. Two different things.

It's like when a poster started saying California's government is full of Communists. I asked them to name the Communists and they never really gave a straight response.

For the people that are saying California, what is the outright corruption that propels it to the top compared to the other states? If its the poor financial situation, refer back to my above response.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Florida.
No contest.

Agreed!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I don't get why California is on the top of the list either.
Because of their inept, gerrymandered state govt., and things like:

California Cities Struggling Under Wave of Corruption

Old 09-26-2012, 01:38 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Because of their inept, gerrymandered state govt., and things like:

California Cities Struggling Under Wave of Corruption
Corruption implies specific intent under the California Codes of Professional Conduct (and the Federal Code)

As for gerrymandering, that happens in every state. I can't think of any state off the top of my head where district lines are drawn by objective non partisans.

As for the link you posted, municipalities aren't states. The largest municipality here is LA, and LA makes up 10% of CA population. Not exactly something everyone in a whole state is responsible for.

Corruption definitely exists here (refer to what happened in the City of Bell) but what propels it above IL, NJ, or even FL where the Feds have found improprieties in the municipal and state government level?

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 09-26-2012 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Georgia may not rank that high, but it has its share. And when corrupt politics do hit the spotlights, it's generally pretty bad. Very few things can beat the Sidney Dorsey scandal. When your incumbent says he's going to clean up the sheriff's office, and then you get a hitman to assassinate him, you KNOW there is an issue there. Atlanta Metro probably contributes to a lot of the corruption, but I'm sure it goes on all day in the entire state. I hear Augusta has really bad municipal corruption, but don't know from experience

Old 09-26-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
As for gerrymandering, that happens in every state. I can't think of any state off the top of my head where district lines are drawn by objective non partisans.
Take a look at Washington.

There is a reason people are fleeing CA in droves. Inept/corrupt govt. being the #1 reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.