Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Take a look at Washington.

There is a reason people are fleeing CA in droves. Inept/corrupt govt. being the #1 reason.
I thought cost of living and jobs was the #1 reason, which is what this whole forum was supposed to be dedicated to. Or in the case of my sister whom lives in Seattle, school.

You really haven't addressed my point: what makes California #1 in corruption? Stop avoiding it.

If you don't think WA CD-4 is gerrymandered to cover the farming districts, of which a lot is majorly Hispanic, then I don't know what to tell you. Or how about WA CD-8. You know, David Reichert's district that is drawn to specifically allow Republicans to have a district on the eastside of Lake Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 02:28 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I thought cost of living and jobs was the #1 reason,
...which are due to inept/corrupt governance.

Quote:
what makes California #1 in corruption?
It's not #1, Illinois is. Look at all of their former Governors in prison.

Quote:
If you don't think WA CD-4 is gerrymandered to cover the farming districts, of which a lot is majorly Hispanic, then I don't know what to tell you.
It follows county lines except in the sparsely populated Columbia Gorge. So the strongest GOP district in WA is a gerrymandered hispanic district? interesting.

Quote:
Or how about WA CD-8. You know, David Reichert's district that is drawn to specifically allow Republicans to have a district on the eastside of Lake Washington.
The box shaped district that contains adjacent suburban and exurban communities?

The 6th district into Tacoma is as close to a gerrymander as you get, but they needed to pull enough people into that district somehow to make it equal with the others. If Washington was gerrymandered, the city of Seattle would not be in one hugely democrat district.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Well this stuff happens in a lot of states (maybe except for the extra murderous police, lol). Plus the perpatrators get arrested and/or new people are elected. But sometimes the politicians are well liked and people still want them in office. I like to think that they all (politicans and the police) still do a lot more good than bad and dont let a few bad apples ruin the bunch. Also like I said things seem/are much better today.
Perhaps it is getting better. However, it made me wonder, how, in this nation, do people put up with such corruption?

And while we are on it, there are some other stories about Louisiana corruption I have for you. Leander "Judge" Perez was basically the political boss for parts of St. Bernard Parish and Plaquemines Parish. He would try and falsify elections, and would intimidate voters by sending in "strong men" to "help" voters. He would also bribe voters.

He was also a hardcore segregationist and anti-Semitic. Some quotes by "Judge" Perez:

"Do you know what the Negro is? Animal right out of the jungle. Passion. Welfare. Easy life. That's the Negro."
"Negroes are just not equipped to vote. If the Negroes took over the government, we would have a repetition here of what's going on in the Congo."

And he had this to say about the Civil Rights movement: "all those Jews who were supposed to have been cremated at Buchenwald and Dachau but weren't, and Roosevelt allowed two million of them illegal entry into our country."

When the Archdiocese of New Orleans decided to desegregate the parochial school system, Perez dealt with it this way. He led a movement to pressure businessmen to fire any White people who sent their children to integrated schools. He was later excommunicated from the Catholic Church for trying to stop integration efforts.

This was someone who was in power for over 40 years.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
...which are due to inept/corrupt governance.
I didn't know that the PRIVATE HOUSING MARKET (you know, a huge reason why people move out of state) is determined by the California state government. Please tell me more about that.

And again, please name specific examples of corruption and index it with other states.

Quote:
It's not #1, Illinois is. Look at all of their former Governors in prison.
Thread titled: What state do you think is the most corrupt?

You didn't specifically say California was #1, but you are challenging something which you know the answer to isn't in the affirmative. I said "what propels California to #1?" Are you denying that or what?

Quote:
It follows county lines except in the sparsely populated Columbia Gorge. So the strongest GOP district in WA is a gerrymandered hispanic district? interesting.
And why do you think its drawn that way?

It has nothing to do with the Hispanics as much as it has to do with economic realities (though it plays a part because there ARE so many Hispanics because of the farming). You don't think the FARMERS of Eastern Washington have different interests than people in Spokane? Please advise.

Quote:
The box shaped district that contains adjacent suburban and exurban communities?

The 6th district into Tacoma is as close to a gerrymander as you get, but they needed to pull enough people into that district somehow to make it equal with the others. If Washington was gerrymandered, the city of Seattle would not be in one hugely democrat district.
Do you know what "gerrymander" means?
gerrymander - definition of gerrymander by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote:
ger·ry·man·der (jr-mndr, gr-)
tr.v. ger·ry·man·dered, ger·ry·man·der·ing, ger·ry·man·ders
To divide (a geographic area) into voting districts so as to give unfair advantage to one party in elections.
n.
1. The act, process, or an instance of gerrymandering.
2. A district or configuration of districts differing widely in size or population because of gerrymandering.
So if you were a Democrat living in WA CD-8, you'd totally have a free and fair ballot, correct? (though Dems have a slight voter advantage now, but originally when it was created, they didn't)
If you were a Republican living in CD-7, it would be fair as well, right?

Why not combine the two areas into a coherent geographic bloc, you know, an district that isn't gerrymandered.

It's no different than California. Please point out SPECIFIC EXAMPLES (something you have been unable to do) of CA's gerrymandered districts and state why its different than WA state.

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 09-26-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Perhaps it is getting better. However, it made me wonder, how, in this nation, do people put up with such corruption?

And while we are on it, there are some other stories about Louisiana corruption I have for you. Leander "Judge" Perez was basically the political boss for parts of St. Bernard Parish and Plaquemines Parish. He would try and falsify elections, and would intimidate voters by sending in "strong men" to "help" voters. He would also bribe voters.

He was also a hardcore segregationist and anti-Semitic. Some quotes by "Judge" Perez:

"Do you know what the Negro is? Animal right out of the jungle. Passion. Welfare. Easy life. That's the Negro."
"Negroes are just not equipped to vote. If the Negroes took over the government, we would have a repetition here of what's going on in the Congo."

And he had this to say about the Civil Rights movement: "all those Jews who were supposed to have been cremated at Buchenwald and Dachau but weren't, and Roosevelt allowed two million of them illegal entry into our country."

When the Archdiocese of New Orleans decided to desegregate the parochial school system, Perez dealt with it this way. He led a movement to pressure businessmen to fire any White people who sent their children to integrated schools. He was later excommunicated from the Catholic Church for trying to stop integration efforts.

This was someone who was in power for over 40 years.
He had a way with words. The best combination, both racist and corrupt.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 PM

252 posts, read 735,928 times
New Mexico

...but I still love it

Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I'd say Louisiana, hands down, has the most corruption.
He was eventually thrown in jail . Then there was the guy who ran against him for governor, David Duke, who was from the KKK no less. He also eventually went to jail.
It seems I remember a campaign slogan of Edwards supporters from that race.
"Vote for the crook, it's important."

Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
He had a way with words. The best combination, both racist and corrupt.
For that reason, it would be no surprise that a KKK member would try(keyword "try") to gain the position as governor.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
If you want racist and corrupt, move to Hawaii, but not if you're white. I was thinking about a vacation to Hawaii someday and started reading page after page of comments about what goes on there, having ran across a "Hawaii Sucks" site that was quite shocking to me.

Corrupt police and public officials, rotton to the core public education system that lacks in every way, and includes a beat up white kid day at the end of the school year. The roads are all beat up and people commute 2 hours because public transportation infrastructure never gets built, unsafe to ride a bicycle anywhere. Segregated beaches in which intruders will be beaten up or may lose their life. Police that selectively enforce the law and pursue or ignore conplaints based on race of the person making the complaint.

Bus drivers that won't pick up white people, job discrimination that goes unchecked and civil rights laws that go unenforced with no federal intervention at all. Trash thrown around everywhere and not cleaned up, neighborhoods and beaches off the tourist path looking like a sanitary landfill. Military personal from the mainland getting messed with all the time. Lots of things going on there that a tourist would never see, as the "Aloha" BS is just for the tourists to keep the economy going. They don't even want to be a US state, and every year the native Hawaians march around in these red shirts like storm troopers and put on a show.

No thanks, I don't know how they got a C for a grade, but I'm not going there. They don't care anyway, an ever increasing share of the tourist dollars are from China and Japan.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
For that reason, it would be no surprise that a KKK member would try(keyword "try") to gain the position as governor.
Well the KKK usually hates Catholics as well, plus Louisiana has the second highest Black percentage in the nation, so that right there just eliminated a huge chuck of the voting population. So I would think a KKK member would have better luck in the rest of the South. But hopefully the KKK member would not be corrupt if ever elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.