Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 19,191 times

Advertisements

I was born,raised, and now totally sick of coastal Georgia.I think I never left before because my Dad was here.But now he is gone and I really would like to move someplace totally different.Both my wife and I want to move where there is at least more than 2 seasons and especially where it snows at least a little bit.We have 2 children-ages 13 and 2 and my wife will be graduating from LPN school in July so we have been starting to research places to move to.We both would love a place near mountains but are not sure where we want to go.Of course we need good schools for the kids and someplace near for her to work as a nurse.But where?At first I thought about Fort Collins,Colorado(maybe too much snow?) or Knoxville,Tennessee(maybe not enough snow?).Can anyone help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Maybe Albuquerque, NM?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
If you want some snow but not too much and you want all 4 seasons, then how about Nebraska? That might suprise alot of folks, but one of its towns was named the 6th best place in the nation to live by CNN/Money magazine in 2007 and it is consistently ranked high in overall cost of living.

If you want more information or thoughts on that specifically, I'd suggest posing your question on the Nebraska City-Data forum - its a very active forum with a lot of perspectives.

In fact, here is a great discussion thread from a lady that lives in California someone pointed her to Nebraska. Its a 4-page very recent discussion on alot of aspects for her to think about: "Looking to move to Nebraska"

Good luck with your search.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:17 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenocain View Post
I was born,raised, and now totally sick of coastal Georgia.I think I never left before because my Dad was here.But now he is gone and I really would like to move someplace totally different.Both my wife and I want to move where there is at least more than 2 seasons and especially where it snows at least a little bit.We have 2 children-ages 13 and 2 and my wife will be graduating from LPN school in July so we have been starting to research places to move to.We both would love a place near mountains but are not sure where we want to go.Of course we need good schools for the kids and someplace near for her to work as a nurse.But where?At first I thought about Fort Collins,Colorado(maybe too much snow?) or Knoxville,Tennessee(maybe not enough snow?).Can anyone help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest central or northern missouri, they definitely get all 4 seasons and snow in the winter but not TOO much, though i dont know about the style of living.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:43 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Ya. If you want a city or near one St. Louis or Kansas City would probably meet your weather needs. I think KC gets a little more snow than St. Louis, but both get altogether about a foot-and-a-half a year I think. St. Louis is supposed to get 8 inches tonight.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
How about Asheville, NC? It should be moderate enough, temperature wise. And it's in the mountains, so there will be snow.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:18 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
I agree with Dave1215, Nebraska gets a pretty even distrubution of the 4-seasons... If you don't find what you're looking for there, there's always Iowa. (where I live) DM me if you want some information! Good luck!!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Maybe Albuquerque, NM?
Does Albuquerque have four seasons? I guess I ignorantly always pictured it warm all year long. But I guess it could be like SLC and get snow too....
Maybe I need to get out more...

Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Does Albuquerque have four seasons? I guess I ignorantly always pictured it warm all year long. But I guess it could be like SLC and get snow too....
Maybe I need to get out more...
Light 4 seasons, actually. It has a warm spring, but dont expect it to be like out east where everything gets green and tons of variety of flowers bloom. Summers are definitely warm and dry, very hot at times. Falls are cooler and nice, actually with some changing colors on some trees, but once again nothing like out east. Winters are cold, dang cold, at night. Daytimes are decent enough I guess for a lighter jacket. Snow is common in the area, but it doesnt last very long. IOW, ABQ does have 4 mild seasons.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:25 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenocain View Post
I don't blame you for wanting to leave GA. I live near Atlanta and I can't wait to leave. If you don't mind cloudy weather, Seattle could be a good place. It's near the mountains and it's beautiful out there IMHO. I should know. I used to live there. Denver could be a good fit for you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.