Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 AM

65 posts, read 156,483 times

Advertisements

Me and family are moving from Washington state, having two little ones the rain is such a downer it's time for a change.

We been trying to settle on a place and it keeps becoming more & more complicated the more we think about it and I thought maybe some feed back would help. Off-grid living is limited by a variety of factors, Warm/low humidity climates are much more practical for energy production and the states we can build in are limited due to the designs we want to use.

What we are looking for in a place.
  • Inexpensive rural land
    Sunshine & warmth.
    Low cost of living, Low property taxes.
  • Culturally white Liberal-tarian leaning, More Gary Johnson than Chuck Baldwin.

Here's our candidates.

New Mexico

The biggest apprehension I have about new mexico is that it is 80% Hispanic, moderately high crime rate and low income. Culturally who lives here? Is the Hispanic community acclimated rural folk or Viva la Raza L.A banger types? Is it more John Redcorn or a bunch of Meth coyotes? Who are you more likely to find in New Mexico? I-40's a big runners free way...

A) http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,314_.jpg Or B)https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...JlDu6wUn5AhmiL

Pros
  • Inexpensive land.
    Low property taxes/low cost of living.
  • Good sunshine for solar off grid electricity/water heating energy usage.
  • Cheap permits/light bureaucracy for building alternative structures (Earthships/Earthbag constructions)
Cons
  • Border issues High crime
    low income

Texas
  • Pros

Inexpensive land.
  • Good sunshine for solar off grid electricity/water heating energy usage
  • Good Job marketshttp://pics3.city-data.com/forum/
  • Cons

Small counties with inconsistent permitting. (Only a minor issue in texas)
  • High property tax
  • "Big" weather events.
    Sterotype suggests Texans aren't really tolerant of non-natives.
    The state strikes me as unstable and noisy.

Arizona

(researching)

Really uncomfortable with the "stop & ID".

Cons, Border issues/violence.

Colorado

On paper Colorado looks promising, but if there is an Illuminati the Denver airport is there HQ. Every anecdotal egregious violation of authority I see on youtube seems to happen in Colorado. When I think of Colorado I think of the SWAT team randomly frisking an entire middle school, dogs being confiscated for their breed and the creepy smile on the guards face at Cheyenne mountain when he said shoot civilians to protect the facility during an event of civil unrest.

I picture it as a really green lush state with thousands of Bloomberg esque bureaucrats trying to ban things and really pissed off police looking for excuses to taze people.

But finance and climate wise it seems ideal, I'd love to hear accounts of Colorado suggest I'm wrong about it being a militarized police state.

Utah

Low income high taxes, other than it's perfect.
I am a Deist with no religion but I've liked every Mormon person I've ever met, I remember missionaries picking up paint brush's and helping me paint my porch and after getting stuck in the Nevada desert for three hours the first people to stop and help was a Mormon family. The only people I like more than Mormons are paranoid hippies, but in the event of a zombie apocalypse If I had to leave my kids with someone it be Mormons.

Nevada

Cons

Nevada has more violent crime than any state in the country and the job market has dried up allegedly due to Indian gaming.

I am trying to find out if Vegas skews the whole margins but other than that it has the same benefits as the rest of the South West.

SE Oregon

Pros

Good weather
Shorter move

Cons

Poor job market/high taxes
Still in the disaster zone if the west coast falls off in to the ocean.

So those are the candidates, which would you choose or not choose and why?

Last edited by JMT; 11-30-2012 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,072,830 times
Utah is in my opinion the best choice and would go further to say the area around Moab would probably best fit your liberal/libertarian leanings.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
Well, I would certainly not reject a place based on your perception that it will "fall off into the ocean". Quite a few of your concerns are extremely low-probability hazards, a much lower risk than rain in Seattle, which makes it hard to suggest anywhere. I have found Texans to be very welcoming of outsiders. In fact, half of all Texans are newcomers. The percentage of white non-hispanics born outside Texas is 48% in Houston and 46% in Dallas.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-30-2012 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.