Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:30 PM

115 posts, read 481,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Exactly. There is an obvious attraction that suburbia offers; otherwise people wouldn't want to live there in droves like they do now.

Although I would prefer a more established neighborhood I like where I live, and it's about as good as it gets by Ft. Wayne standards.
Yeah, like the attraction of driving miles and miles to work, shopping at the local strip mall and not talking to your neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvedderbest View Post
Yeah, like the attraction of driving miles and miles to work, shopping at the local strip mall and not talking to your neighbors.
Right. Because there's nothing more attractive than a polluted, crowded, crime ridden city with horrible schools.

It's a two-way street my friend. And you wonder why the majority of Americans choose to live in suburban areas.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Right. I would much rather living in a polluted, crime ridden city with horrible schools.

And you wonder why people choose to live in suburban areas.
Not all cities are created equal. Whereas all suburbs are equal...because they're all the same place.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvedderbest View Post
Not all cities are created equal. Whereas all suburbs are equal...because they're all the same place.
And yet, they struggle to gain population, the "real" cities at least.

People like you exaggerate suburban living. Yes it can be mundane at times, but I would much rather my kids grow up here than in the central city. Now if I was an professional without kids, different story.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
And yet, they struggle to gain population, the "real" cities at least.
As opposed to the "fake" cities?

Most US cities are in fact gaining population.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,176 times
Living in the suburbs doesn't mean living in a McMansion though. And like cities, suburbs can also vary widely in size, density, and style.

You can live close to your work which can also be in the suburbs. Usually, McMansions are further out and hence the even longer drives. With the traffic the way it is, you own a McMansion, you kinda expect to have an hour or more long commute.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:35 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
I prefer a condo or bungalow. They're cozier and, of course, cheaper.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:41 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Nowadays most people with $$$ prefer to live in or very near the city. People with kids who cannot afford to live in the nicer parts of the city (or depending on the city cannot afford private schools) are basically forced to live in the subburbs to avoid living in a slum. But not all suburbs are created equal. I will take the closer in ranch/brady bunch suburbs that are at least a reasonable commute and closer to some form of cutlure over the cookie cutter far out Mcmansion suburbs any day- and the ranch/brady bunch suburbs are often cheaper than the Mcmansion areas.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:28 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,337 times
Quote:
Right. Because there's nothing more attractive than a polluted, crowded,
This was only true before World War 2...
as pollution greatly decreased, there was a mass exodus to the suburbs. Hmm. Makes no sense.

Quote:
crime ridden city with horrible schools.
The cities only became 'crime ridden' because the middle and upper classes left them. Crime is nowhere near as bad as it was a few decades ago, all throughout the country, including the inner cities. The suburbs are basically a reflection of the hysterical fear of white people towards living within 5 miles of minorities.
And with the schools, the inner cities are largely populated by poor people, especially compared to the suburbs. Children in poor households, on average do significantly worse in school than children of moderate/high income households - this is a fact, true of past and present, AND true regardless of what school a person goes to. If you put a smart child in a "bad" school, the smart child is still going to do well. But no, white people's hysterical fear of "terrible schools" keeps them away from the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deportallofthem View Post
Suburbia. It was a necessary step for America in order to harbor families closer to cities in large quanities.

There is nothing wrong with suburbia unless you can't afford to live there!
No, nothing wrong with it. Besides the environment degradation. The pollution. The destruction of American culture and sense of community (people are less trusting and less caring than they were decades ago, all tied with the suburban exodus - and they're no happier than before, either). The subsidies in freeway, highway development, and utilities to help pay for what is essentially an unsustainable lifestyle - nothing wrong with it. Ohh and running away from the people who are less off in society, and thus making their situation far worse. Especially because of racist and segregationist policies that suburban development has and is based upon. Nothing wrong with the excess consumption of fossil fuels for transport, heating, and air conditioning. You're an American, and it's your right to get what you want at the expense of everyone else.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
My whole life I have always lived in a space less than 1000 square feet.

How you live in it, really depends on the layout of the place.

Things that are nice to have and make lives much easier.
  • More than one bathroom. Between 2-4 people, it is extremely useful, especially when you are all going somewhere at the same time.
  • FORMAL LIVING ROOM / DINING ROOM. I'm not sure why I'd ever want that. It's so passe. We do like to entertain, and we would certainly like to separate our "family" room from where we would entertain adults. But that could be accomplished by....
  • A finished basement.
  • Mudroom with a laundry
  • 3 bedrooms. That leaves one room for a guest. (I have always wanted a place for a guest.
When I owned single family homes, I always had a living room and dining room. I LOVE dining rooms for nice dinner and of course holiday dinners. We have a dining room table (currently in storage) that seats 12 and we used it quite a bit. Living rooms are a nice place to sit and visit with friends, gather around a fireplace, etc. Of course it is wasteful if they're never used, but we used ours quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.