Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
The last one definitely has a southern accent. It's a bit inconsistent, but you can hear it pretty strongly in certain words.

What words . I don't hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Like I say if you look at the accent tags on youtube of southern part of US most people under age of 20 do not have accent.

None of these girls have southern accent but they live in the south.

It has to do with media and Hollywood. Take away the TV and radio and people will start pick up accents again.

People spend way to much time in front of TV and radio.

Accent Tag (Texas) - YouTube

Accent Tag- Texas - YouTube

South Carolina/ Atlanta Ga accent - YouTube

Young people just don't have accent these days.
They all sound "southern" to my "northern" ears. Especially the SC/ Atlanta accent. "Young people just don't have accent these days."

Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,293 times
Moving to Australia in my late 20's I had my "American" accent. After 20+ years here still have a non Aussie accent. However, I have picked up the local lingo so when I go back to visit family in the States they think I have an Australian accent! I definately don't have a Aussie accent but do sound different then my brothers and sisters.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
My mum is from Texas and I never noticed her accent growing up until my friends would point it out to me. Oddly enough, whenever she goes home, people tell her she's picked up a West Coast sounding accent over time.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I wonder what kind of accent he has when he speaks German. Would he still be able to speak like a native or would he sound more like an American speaking German?
It sounds pretty good to me, but I don't speak German. Listen for yourself at 2:10 on this video and see what you think....

The Secrets of Life- Markus Hamburg speech highlights - YouTube

20yrsinbranson

Old 01-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
They all sound "southern" to my "northern" ears. Especially the SC/ Atlanta accent. "Young people just don't have accent these days."
What words . They sound like to me they can be any where in US .

They sound standard American to me. You will have to be more pacific of what you mean.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM

23 posts, read 38,143 times
Quote:
Like I say if you look at the accent tags on youtube of southern part of US most people under age of 20 do not have accent.

It has to do with media and Hollywood. Take away the TV and radio and people will start pick up accents again.

wrong. I live in the south. The only young folks in the south who don't have accents anymore are ones from major cities and wealthy parts of those major cities. This is because millions of people have migrated to where they live from other places in the past 20 years. Everyone else. Black kids, people from poorer parts of the city, and people not from major cities all still have there accents. Besides the discussion in the first place was about people losing there accents, not them never having them to begin with like you tried to twist it.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:

The last one occasionally sounds slightly southern to me, but the other two didn't seem to really have any accent at all. In my hometown of 110,000 in middle TN, quite a few younger people sounded very much like these girls; little to no accent (to my ears, anyway). But occasionally I'd meet and/or work with younger people from the more rural areas, and they would often have quite thick accents. Still, even then you could see that the accents were growing less noticeable in relation to their ages. The younger ones still have noticeable accents, but not as much as their slightly older counterparts. And though I'm 10+ years older than those from smaller towns and rural areas, my accent was much less noticeable than theirs.

One thing I have noticed since moving to Washington is that sometimes people in radio commercials will sound vaguely southern to me in certain words. When I still lived in TN and heard thick southern accents all the time, pretty much any voice in radio commercials sounded generic to me, with no discernible accent.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBILLYBADASS View Post
wrong. I live in the south. The only young folks in the south who don't have accents anymore are ones from major cities and wealthy parts of those major cities. This is because millions of people have migrated to where they live from other places in the past 20 years. Everyone else. Black kids, people from poorer parts of the city, and people not from major cities all still have there accents. Besides the discussion in the first place was about people losing there accents, not them never having them to begin with like you tried to twist it.
There really is no reason for anyone to have accent these days ( other than may be part of state culture ) with proper school and mass media.Yes kids may have accents because they pick up accent from mom and dad but when you are teen you embrace the pop culture and mess media you want to sound cool and like hollywood be in the in crowd using words like cool and awesome so on , spend more time hanging out with other teens and watching TV.Also schools will most likely coach you out it unless the teacher has accent .

In the old days no one know any better because people where cut off from one other . If you live in Appalachian because so many people use words called Appalachian dialect like Airish ,Bald ,Holler ,Plum ,Reckon ,Yonder so on are Appalachian dialect if you use them any where else people will tell you it is very wrong and if you use it at school the teacher will tell you it is wrong.Isn't and wasn't are often pronounced idn't and wadn' or ain't" is pronounced hain't in other things southern and non southern accent.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,560 times
Quote:
What words . They sound like to me they can be any where in US .

They sound standard American to me. You will have to be more pacific of what you mean.
Listen, I was born and raised up north: Harvey, IL, a south-side suburb Chicago. I recall going to a dot on the map called Star, MS, as a youth. My cousins, and all of the other little kids, would accuse my brother and me of speaking "proper." "Proper"?! In essence, they were telling us that we were wrong. That we sound odd to them. They were making fun of us! I dug that **** like a ****ing grave! No, I'm not condoning their behavior. However, we were children. And if sounding "proper" to those fine, MS sistas broke the ice and put a smile on their faces, COOL!

Perhaps my ears are more discerning than yours. In fact, I'd argue that the first young lady is attempting to tone her accent down. That said, I'm not going to listen to them speak again to give you specific examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.