Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM

145 posts, read 347,149 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently got into a decent school for accounting and as long as I do well, I should basically have my pick of cities in terms of where I can end up living (California and Texas cities would be less probable but still a possibility). By the time I'm done, I'll be 23 and am looking for the following in a city:

1. Lots of big companies/startup activity since I'll probably be working in audit and working for a big client will lead to better paying, less stressful roles in the future. (very important)

2. Lots of young people who are educated and looking to meet other people. I know there's outgoing and introverts in every city, but there are probably some cities where it's easier to meet people and this is important (very important)

3. Lots of outdoor activities. While I don't mind going to bars/clubs every now and then I'd much rather go skiing, rafting, boating, etc. than be stuck with a bunch of yuppies who are still trying to live their frat boy days in college. If no outdoor activities, there should at least be more cultural activities and more to do than getting wasted and blowing $100 at the bar every weekend (important)

4. Prefer sunshine or at the very least mild weather to snow/cold. I've lived in the Bay and the PNW and while I dislike rain, I'd prefer mild, rainy weather with great summers to snow and freezing wind. (consideration, but not a deal breaker)

5. Good public transportation. I'd like to avoid having a car as much as possible because I hate dealing with bad traffic (consideration, not a deal-breaker).

6. Low cost of living. I'm going to be in accounting and not high finance, so I won't be a baller and I want to not live in the ghetto. (very important, but will sacrifice for a few years if it'll help my career that much)

7. I love sports so having at least NFL/NBA would be great (consideration, not a deal breaker if other factors are there)

8. I am more of a prep in terms of dress style and would prefer a more preppy/traditional atmosphere to hipster (absolutely HATE hipsters having lived in the PNW) or being totally informal (consideration, not a deal breaker)

So far, I have Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, DC, Boston, Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, Miami, Dallas, Austin and maybe Denver/NYC on my list (I'm all over the place you see). What city sounds like a good fit for me and are there others I should look into?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 03:09 PM

502 posts, read 717,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
Hi all,

I recently got into a decent school for accounting and as long as I do well, I should basically have my pick of cities in terms of where I can end up living (California and Texas cities would be less probable but still a possibility). By the time I'm done, I'll be 23 and am looking for the following in a city:

1. Lots of big companies/startup activity since I'll probably be working in audit and working for a big client will lead to better paying, less stressful roles in the future. (very important)
NY and Chicago are the biggest business centers. Not sure how things are in NY; Chicago is working to become an IT hub that could rival the bay area but the city is still mired in debt.

Quote:
2. Lots of young people who are educated and looking to meet other people. I know there's outgoing and introverts in every city, but there are probably some cities where it's easier to meet people and this is important (very important)
Every city has it's pros and cons about the people/social scene. Life is what you make of it.

Quote:
3. Lots of outdoor activities. While I don't mind going to bars/clubs every now and then I'd much rather go skiing, rafting, boating, etc. than be stuck with a bunch of yuppies who are still trying to live their frat boy days in college. If no outdoor activities, there should at least be more cultural activities and more to do than getting wasted and blowing $100 at the bar every weekend (important)
Sunbelt cities: Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, etc.

Quote:
4. Prefer sunshine or at the very least mild weather to snow/cold. I've lived in the Bay and the PNW and while I dislike rain, I'd prefer mild, rainy weather with great summers to snow and freezing wind. (consideration, but not a deal breaker)
Watch out if you go to Chicago or New York!

Quote:
5. Good public transportation. I'd like to avoid having a car as much as possible because I hate dealing with bad traffic (consideration, not a deal-breaker).
Watch out if you go to L.A.!

Quote:
6. Low cost of living. I'm going to be in accounting and not high finance, so I won't be a baller and I want to not live in the ghetto. (very important, but will sacrifice for a few years if it'll help my career that much)
This cancels out California and the northeast, but it depends on how you want to live. Big house with a big yard w/ equity? Small house or condo or an apt in the city?

Quote:
7. I love sports so having at least NFL/NBA would be great (consideration, not a deal breaker if other factors are there)
Every major city has pro sports teams. Generally, the further east you go, the more passionate people are about their hometown teams.

Quote:
8. I am more of a prep in terms of dress style and would prefer a more preppy/traditional atmosphere to hipster (absolutely HATE hipsters having lived in the PNW) or being totally informal (consideration, not a deal breaker)
Yeah, stay out of Portland.

Quote:
So far, I have Seattle, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, DC, Boston, Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, Miami, Dallas, Austin and maybe Denver/NYC on my list (I'm all over the place you see). What city sounds like a good fit for me and are there others I should look into?

Thanks!
Hope that helps you narrow down the short list!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:55 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
Sounds like the Atlanta is the perfect. A lot of companies are headquartered there. The area has a fairly well educated populace. The weather is mild and plenty of sunshine. Public transportation is just ok but it is an automobile city. The three major sports franchises are represented there. Plenty of outdoorsy stuff to the north of the metro area headed into Appalachia. Hope I helped!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Perhaps Baltimore or even Philadelphia given where you lived in the past.

Maybe Nashville too.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Atlanta has basically all of the criteria covered. The local job market isn't so hot right now, but should be performing better in a few years once you've graduated.

Denver seems like it might be a good option as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,652 times
Several cities on your list will make a good candidate but I automatically eliminated the cities in Texas and California based off your first sentence. I would suggest for you to look more into Chicago, Denver and Miami. Second tier for you would be DC and Atlanta. If the size of a city does not matter for you as it does for most of us on city data then you may also have interest in Providence Rhode Island, I hear it is a big financial hub with fortune 500 companies.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Denver sounds really right for you.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:01 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Several cities on your list will make a good candidate but I automatically eliminated the cities in Texas and California based off your first sentence. I would suggest for you to look more into Chicago, Denver and Miami. Second tier for you would be DC and Atlanta. If the size of a city does not matter for you as it does for most of us on city data then you may also have interest in Providence Rhode Island, I hear it is a big financial hub with fortune 500 companies.
Miami? And over Atlanta and DC to boot? Makes no sense given the criteria.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 AM

145 posts, read 347,149 times
So it sounds like Miami, Atlanta, DC, and Denver are finalists. How are the economies in these places? I've heard Atlanta is kind of a dying city and Charlotte is having much more growth and is more "happening" in a way than Atlanta. Is that true or mostly BS?

Also, is DC any good for jobs outside of Government?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
I'd take a hard look at washington DC, which fits your criteria pretty well. The COL will be higher than many places, but the job prospects will be higher too, as there are plenty of private sector opportunities as well a government ones. And you don't have to live in the city itself to find a less expensive place to live. The 'burbs are eminently doable and many times as livable as the city -- and you won't necessarily have to drive into the city depending on where you live. Mass transit in the area is well-developed. Outdoor activities are no more than a few hours away by car, and frequently less, with access to the shore and the mountiatns. Hell, you can even go boating on the Potomoc. Think about DC. Dont dismiss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.